No announcement yet.

Anticipate lower Elok availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not yet. I just stopped posting in it because I'm ****ing awesome right now.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Coke?
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
        Coke?

No, I just finally managed to convince myself that I am legitimately capable of growing and changing, and that I've been doing just that for the last 6.5 years. Also, this thread is about Elok, who is, we've determined, not me.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Lori
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'll probably get my computer (or its replacement) back around the time Lent starts, at this rate. Ngh. Quick update for what I guess is my me thread: am looking into actually pursuing real, permanent teaching instead of subbing. Might start as a paraeducator. This plan may or may not involve moving to Florida, depending on certain variables. The ideal end goal is to teach world history, geography or U.S. history (approximate order of preference) to middle schoolers. But who knows?
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

We'll miss you Lori.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                I'll probably get my computer (or its replacement) back around the time Lent starts, at this rate. Ngh. Quick update for what I guess is my me thread: am looking into actually pursuing real, permanent teaching instead of subbing. Might start as a paraeducator. This plan may or may not involve moving to Florida, depending on certain variables. The ideal end goal is to teach world history, geography or U.S. history (approximate order of preference) to middle schoolers. But who knows?
                Cushy government jobs.

Comment

Funny you should mention that; my brother, who bounced from Army to NSA to cushy private contractor job, advised me to exploit the armed forces for four years of paid job skills training (which would not be incompatible with an ultimate career in education). I'm far from convinced--my BIL has had a pretty bad experience with the Army--but I do have to acknowledge that the armed forces are basically where it's at for bright, talented cockups like myself. I'll be talking things over with every military person I know, in addition to pursuing my previous plan with the QAC and Bay County, FL Boards of Ed.

I believe what I'm looking for is an MOS that is non-deployable and will not involve me directly in doing something that will one day get subpoenaed by Congress. Ideally I'd do something with language, since I'm good at learning foreign languages and enjoy it, but my wife notes that I would probably not get to pick a language only spoken in the saner parts of the world. No, I'd be thrown into Arabic class and packed off to IED-land. Yuck. So: something I'm good at, which can be transferred to the civilian world, is not constitutionally dubious, and only takes place several hundred miles or more from the shooting. Seems a bit of a tall order, come to think of it.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'm with those who believe you shouldn't join the military unless you're prepared to fight and die for your country. I am in no way prepared to do so, which is one reason I'll never join.

Comment

Air Force maintenance for ICBMs. Afterwards, work for Elon Musk at SpaceX.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        Funny you should mention that; my brother, who bounced from Army to NSA to cushy private contractor job, advised me to exploit the armed forces for four years of paid job skills training (which would not be incompatible with an ultimate career in education). I'm far from convinced--my BIL has had a pretty bad experience with the Army--but I do have to acknowledge that the armed forces are basically where it's at for bright, talented cockups like myself. I'll be talking things over with every military person I know, in addition to pursuing my previous plan with the QAC and Bay County, FL Boards of Ed.

I believe what I'm looking for is an MOS that is non-deployable and will not involve me directly in doing something that will one day get subpoenaed by Congress. Ideally I'd do something with language, since I'm good at learning foreign languages and enjoy it, but my wife notes that I would probably not get to pick a language only spoken in the saner parts of the world. No, I'd be thrown into Arabic class and packed off to IED-land. Yuck. So: something I'm good at, which can be transferred to the civilian world, is not constitutionally dubious, and only takes place several hundred miles or more from the shooting. Seems a bit of a tall order, come to think of it.
                        Here's some quick advice for you:
                        1. Don't enlist with a degree
                        2. Don't enlist with a degree
                        3. Don't enlist with a degree
                        Oh yeah and before I forget
                        4. Don't enlist with a degree

If you're gonna join the armed forces, you want to be an officer.

(This advice comes from a friend of mine in the air force who graduated a couple years ago. He was ROTC)
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

DON'T DON'T DON'T ENLIST WITH A DEGREE

DON'T DO IT

DON'T DO IT

DON'T DO IT

YOUR LIFE WILL BE TERRIBLE YOU WILL BE SURROUNDED BY FUNCTIONALLY RETARDED 18 YEAR OLDS AND YOU WILL BE SWEEPING SIDEWALKS AND CUTTING GRASS AND PICKING UP CIGARETTE BUTTS AND PMCSING BROKEN VEHICLES THAT WILL NEVER BE FIXED BECAUSE YOUR UNIT HAS NO BUDGET TO FIX THEM.

If you *must* enlist with a degree (DON'T!!!!!!) enlist in the air force and get an aircrew job (NOT SECURITY FORCES AND NOT MAINTENANCE)

Also the only non-deployable MOSes to my knowledge are recruiters and active guardsmen (who themselves are mostly recruiters). Those are NCO positions primarily with some officers. Not entry-level.

Comment

Elok, what was your GPA? The Army gives no ****s if you have a crappy major as long as your GPA is decent.

Also, you can probably get an officer's commission in the National Guard even if your GPA is mediocre, which pays at least some money and won't interfere much with a teaching job (especially a substitute teaching job). 2LTs in the guard get something like $10k a year which I'm gathering would be a big increase on your current income. Consider that.

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                            Air Force maintenance for ICBMs. Afterwards, work for Elon Musk at SpaceX.
                            Hope you like living in the coldest part of North Dakota

Comment

Consider: even ALBY had the presence of mind not to enlist with a degree
                              Last edited by regexcellent; February 2, 2015, 01:56.

Comment

Poor AlBy
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X