No announcement yet.

Norgesveldet – A history of the Norwegian kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd start getting a complex if my characters kept killing themselves.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I input this part of your AAR into this site:
      PaperRater proofreads and rates your essays & papers. It picks out grammar & spelling errors, detects plagiarism and grades your writing. It includes resources on grammar, writing, spelling & more.

In a lightning campaign of just eight years, Haraldr united all of modern day Norway, except the southern tip, which was held by the mighty petty kings of Jylland, in modern day Denmark.
      He dared not yet declare himself king of a united Norway though, as according to the sagas he was warned by Odin himself that he had yet to prove himself worthy of the title. Not content with merely controlling the Norwegian lands, he then set his eyes on the lands of the Swedes. The northern Swedish tribes fell fast, but in 874 the warrior king suddenly changed focus and went in Viking to the shores of the British Isles.

For four years he looted the country side of the British kingdoms, and in 878 the sagas tell that Odin himself visited the king’s tent and gave him his blessings. That same year the Norwegian jarls assembled on the ting and declared Haraldr I “Fairhair” the king of Noregr.

The following twelve years, the king seemingly changed his ways and did little of warring. Emissionaries were sent to the settlers of the islands of the Vikings in the North Sea, and all but one accepted him as their lawful king.
      Old habits die hard though, and in 890 a massive invasion of the British Isles were initiated, led by Haraldr himself. After securing a beachhead in northern Scotland, all of the Catholic counts of Ireland was issued an ultimatum; submit or die. All counts refused to submit, and war engulfed the Emerald Island for the next decade. The sole peaceful place was the small jarldom in the east, which was led by a relative of Haraldr.

The campaign was a huge success, one by one the counties’ armies were defeated and their lands taken. However, in mid 898 the conquering army was met by a united host of equal strength, and during battle the Viking king was hit by an arrow. Hours later the king was dead, his armies fleeing and the kingdom laid in the hands of his sickly heir and son, Dyre I.
      and it gave me the following result:

PaperRater proofreads and rates your essays & papers. It picks out grammar & spelling errors, detects plagiarism and grades your writing. It includes resources on grammar, writing, spelling & more.

Your grade is a C.

Try harder next time
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Heh, same text gave me a B.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

interesting

maybe the variables like grade level have an impact on the score
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I told them I had a master. What did you tell them I had?

Comment

I put "college"... so right under that

I don't understand why a lower grade level would give you a lower score

that's weird
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The more you learn, the less you know.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Kjartan I
                    (977-985)

Kjartan I’s reign was compared to his predecessor a mediocre one. He did have his successes, but they were small and costly for the realm, and while having a promising start, he died before he could do any big deeds.

Family
                    Kjartan was married to Hafrid, a daughter of a local noble. He had only one trueborn son, who would later inherit the throne. His children was as follows:

Gyla
                    Ingrid
                    Cecilia
                    Ivar

He also had one astard son:
                    Bersi

His reign
                    Kjartan did not make it easy for himself when he took over the throne. His first act was to increase the crown authority, centralizing the power further in his hands. This led to some resentment, but no immediate turmoil.

A year into his reign, the mighty pagan kingdom of Jylland declared war to claim the last Norwegian holding in SkÃ¥ne. Determined to turn the last two generations’ tide of losses in the south, he gathered his host and hired a mercenary company. The two armies met in SkÃ¥ne, and the Norwegian army won a devastating victory. Kjartan quickly accepted the Jyllander king’s terms for a white peace, only to send a declaration of war back to the fear stricken enemy king, demanding the whole of SkÃ¥ne back under the terms of holy war.

In the meantime, the king of Sweden, as Svithjod now styled itself, begged for help against the Suomi heathens. While the official policy for the last couple generations had been to heed these calls from the brother kingdom, and keep a defensive line, Suomi was now huge and Kjartan had a war to fight in the south, and he feared this endeavour could be compromised if a stray Suomi army came his way. He therefore turned down his kinsman’s desperate plight.

In the middle of the Jyllander war, the heathen Sumonesko rebelled in Finnmark. Months later the war for SkÃ¥ne was won, but the cost had been great monetarily, and while the mercenaries had been let go, the crown was in debt, making the morale among Kjartan’s troops poor. He therefore had to let the Suomonesko revolt fester for a few months. During this time the Suomonsko rebels took control of all of Norway down to Trondheim, but by then the crown’s finances were in better shape and the poorly organized rebels were soundly crushed and sent fleeing back to Finnmark, where they were slaughtered to the last man, making an example for future rebels.

In early 982, the jarl of Jamtaland was discovered to plot for a claim on the Norwegian throne. Deeply disturbed by this, Kjartan had little time to ponder on the matter, as months later Folki of Hordaland, the pretender Haraldr’s son, declared war for the Norwegian throne himself. Only two months later, Jylland declared war for the province of Burgundaholmr in SkÃ¥ne. Only two months after this, while Kjartan’s forces were battling the pretender forces, a peasant revolt happened in Trøndelag. Not daring to fight a three way war, Kjartan let his kinsman escape with only a white peace, so he could focus on the peasant rebels.

Unable to meet the Jyllander army directly, Kjartan hoped his allies in Britain and continental Europe would heed his call to arms. Thankfully they did, but it would take some time before their forces would arrive. Kjartan therefore went to Trøndelag with his army, meeting the peasant rabble. In close combat with the rebel leader, a lucky axe maimed him and cost him an arm. The wound festered and a month later he died in agony. The realm was now in the hands of his only trueborn son, a three year old boy.

Norgesveldet at the ascension of Ivar I.

Aftermath
                    Kjartan I did well enough in his short reign, but died before he could make any big mark on the history of Norway. He is such not very well remembered by the modern Norwegian populace. If he is known to a Norwegian today, it is rather as the father of the unfortunate Ivar I.

Comment

Not looking good.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You're thinking of the Suomi menace?

Comment

interesting times.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

the colour could do with coding - I never know what I am looking at
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Political borders.
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

AH, that's the political borders, as Nestor says, not sure what's confusing?

Comment

Working...
                                X