No announcement yet.

my life struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change is a gradual process. Well unless you want armed rebellion.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"Give us better healthcare, or we're going to start killing people!"
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Change is a gradual process. Well unless you want armed rebellion.
        Disagree. That's a cop out. Big changes happen. We read about them in the paper every day. In parts of the country, gays can marry. In some parts, you can walk into a store and buy weed. Those specific changes literally happened overnight. That's how laws get made. They get written. They get passed. Boom. Done.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          Disagree. That's a cop out. Big changes happen. We read about them in the paper every day. In parts of the country, gays can marry. In some parts, you can walk into a store and buy weed. Those specific changes literally happened overnight. That's how laws get made. They get written. They get passed. Boom. Done.
          No, actually they didn't happen overnight. Those were the results of years and decades of work. You may see them as happening overnight, but, for example, gay marriage has been something that has over 20 years of work behind it.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

No, actually they didn't happen overnight. Those were the results of years and decades of work. You may see them as happening overnight, but, for example, gay marriage has been something that has over 20 years of work behind it.
            That's a different argument.

The actual change happened overnight.

You're a lawyer. I shouldn't have to explain how laws work to you.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yup.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sava, even laws are passed gradually. First one legislator votes YEA, then another, then another, etc.

Comment

Yeah, and when the dude who signs National Health Service (US) or Equal Treatment for Gays, you can say the "change happened overnight" and people will look at you like your head is an anus.

This sort of gradual change is exactly the same sort of build up that has happened for other major changes that "just occur" when a law is finally signed.

Comment

OOOH I CAN HAVE FUN WITH PERSPECTIVE TOO

and on a geological timescale, our entire existence happens basically overnight

durrrrrr
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

those old white idiots are dying off en masse and their children aren't as conservative as they are/were
                      Just for the record, a lot of those old white idiots didn't start off as conservatives. They aged into it. As many of the young today will.
                      But yes, I do agree that they won't get quite as conservative but you never know.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        OOOH I CAN HAVE FUN WITH PERSPECTIVE TOO

and on a geological timescale, our entire existence happens basically overnight

durrrrrr
                        I don't think I can handle discussing against this sort of stupid anymore. I thought after Ben and Kid left (forcibly) it'd be the end of this sort of nonsense.

So, have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                          Just for the record, a lot of those old white idiots didn't start off as conservatives. They aged into it. As many of the young today will.
                          But yes, I do agree that they won't get quite as conservative but you never know.
                          Nobody starts off as anything. Everyone "ages" into their beliefs.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't think I can handle discussing against this sort of stupid anymore. I thought after Ben and Kid left (forcibly) it'd be the end of this sort of nonsense.

So, have fun.
                            You can choose to be wrong all you want.

The process of a law being passed is quick enough to be accurately described as happening "overnight".

Your point about the process before the law passing event is certainly valid. But... it is an entirely. Different. Argument.

I agree that the distinction is annoying pedantic. But don't pretend like it's "wrong". Well, you can... but it is a completely true statement.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

yay i made it to 1130

poly is always good for wasting time
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

kid was banned too?

Comment

Working...
                                X