No announcement yet.

Sid Meier's Starships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, is this MoO or Ace Patrol in space? I'll sign up for the former, not so much the latter.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
      So, is this MoO or Ace Patrol in space? I'll sign up for the former, not so much the latter.
      A continuation of Star Control 2 concept would have been awesome i think.

Originally posted by Main_Brain View Post
      It seems ( the User Stats from Steam back this) that Firaxis lost a lot of Goodwill with Beyond Earth. The Concept exploring Fleet sound quite familiar. I think several games scheduled in the near Future have the same basic concept.
      I think the main problem of Firaxis for now is that they can't keep their game designers. It's always the new guy designing the new game instead of an old, experienced one. And strategies are all about a good game design (as long as you have the money, but Firaxis has probably the biggest budget of all 4X games).

So next Firaxis games are not really better than previous ones. Or you can say that they're becoming consistently worse. Col2 is worse than Civ 4, Civ 5 is worse than Civ 4, BE is worse than Civ 5...

Just look at Paradox in comparision, both Crusader Kings II and EU4 are strictly better than CK 1 and EU3, and they're better than previous Paradox titles. Total War series is a hit and miss (one good game, one bad, one good, one bad), but at least it's improving over time so each good game is better than previous good one. But with the latest Firaxis games, i don't see that constant improvement. That's just sad.
      Knowledge is Power

Comment

I'll step out and defend BE happily, but then again, my coworkers are mocking me for not using mayo on sandwiches so clearly I have no taste...
        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Some gameplay details: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...or-pc-mac-ipad

Turns out you do missions to get planets into your federation.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

A turn-based sci-fi strategy title for PC, Mac and iPad
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I'll bet that the cross-connectivity with BE gets abandoned during development as they discover that it is too challenging to do well and not even worth the effort to implement poorly.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                Interesting. Will they botch it?
                Don't they always?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The issue is that we are not the target market. Civ Rev is where it's at for Sid.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

sounds like an interesting story premise. Even kind of early Star Trek, I'm just not sure I trust the company making the game.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                      The difference is that it's you who are traveling with your fleet, not sending out fleets.
                      Okay. What difference does the time effect have on gameplay? IRL it'd mean troops were missing several decades of their families' lives (losing most of them forever if there's no increase in lifespan), so I guess they'd be either berserk or despondent. Also, the target you get to may bear little resemblance to the target you set out for; most likely it will be fifty years more technologically advanced than you, and therefore blast your rinky-dink antique fleet out of the sky.

Also, it sounds like they felt they weren't getting enough CivBE sales, so the marketing guys shook their magic marketing eight-ball and it came up "My sources say synergize." The integration really doesn't make a lot of sense to me otherwise, given the big difference in scale between the games.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No domination victory?
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                          No domination victory?
                          "Then there is the classic Civilization domination victory, in which you eliminate your opponents."
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

this sounds like a giant facepalm

turn based space game?

can they do better than FTL?

probably not

sounds like firaxis is gonna be 0 for 2
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              BE. That sucked
                              QFT
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Also, for an interesting tactical element of a game they need a good AI.

"The key elements are designing and building your own starships," Meier explained. "Develop different kinds of weapons, stealth abilities, armour and shields. Put all the different pieces of a ship together in different ways, to get different kinds of ships. Some will be fast, others will be powerful, some are used for stealth, and your role will to be the admiral of this fleet.
                                They promise a big variety of ship designs, and to make tactical combat interesting they need to teach AI how to use all these different kinds of ships with different features like speed or stealth. I think they should have made combat semi-arcade, like in Star Control 2 or Space Rangers (in hyperspace). It's not as fast-paced as in fighting games, and different abilities of different ships make it tactical rather than just a pure fighting game mode.

Tactical arcade doesn't need a good AI to be fun - in Star Control 2 it was fine on 80286 20 Mhz in real time, with a very taxing (for it's time) sample-based music that was played on PC speaker, so it had a really primitive AI. Faster Than Light doesn't really have an AI (other than the simplest random target selection and patchfinding for invaders), but it's tactical and real-time so its fun as well.

However, most turn-based tactical games with complex mechanics suffer from a bad AI, ranging from old Archon Ultra to a recent Blood Bowl (which has rather good AI for it's genre, but it's still far beyond human capabilities). I think it's also the biggest weakness of tactical JRPGs - they have an interesting game mechanics but AI in tactical JRPGs is just abysmal. I really hope that Firaxis doesn't make the same mistake...
                                Knowledge is Power

Comment

Working...
                                X