No announcement yet.

Charles Koch doing something good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They weren't suing HIM, ******, they were suing his client, who hired him because they were being sued.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      They weren't suing HIM, ******, they were suing his client, who hired him because they were being sued.
      It's lucky that his stories in no way run completely in line with the political views he's installed in you.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        It's lucky that his stories in no way run completely in line with the political views he's installed in you.
        Could it be that his experience with working with the government might color his opinion of the government? Might that actually be a reasonable place to draw opinions of the government? :O

By the way, he actually knows a lot of people at the labor department/justice dept/PBGC/treasury etc that he doesn't think are bad people, or stupid, or incompetent, but as an organization? Yes, stupid, bad, incompetent.

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry. I am shocked that your father has a low opinion of the government's efforts to sue his clients.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Gee, maybe the fact that he was paid to advocate for this guy might make your father a bit biased.

Comment

Do you think maybe the fact that the EPA decided to drop almost all its charges might tell you something about the legitimacy of their case? And Koch still had to pay money anyway.

That's what the government does. They charge you with genocide and jaywalking and then drop genocide if you agree to plead guilty to jaywalking.

Comment

You know what is annoying. When a company is obviously running afoul of the law, costing their employees thousands of dollars due to deliberately not following the law and then the Regional Solicitor decides to make a deal with the company for less than what they've cost their participants so that they can avoid the time and cost of a trial. ****ing useless.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

CASE IN POINT: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...me-court-rules

Genocide is almost not an exaggeration.

Comment

Do you think maybe the fact that the EPA decided to drop almost all its charges might tell you something about the legitimacy of their case? And Koch still had to pay money anyway.

That's what the government does. They charge you with genocide and jaywalking and then drop genocide if you agree to plead guilty to jaywalking.
                    Why would the government want to do that? Spite? Boredom?

Comment

HC, my dad negotiates with manufacturing firms for a living. He thinks they're all ****ing morons. What do you think the odds are that that's actually true?
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Pedotard View Post
                        Why would the government want to do that? Spite? Boredom?
                        I don't know, maybe you should ask them. My favored hypothesis is that they're power crazed fascists, but a more likely explanation is that if you give someone power, they will use it, and we have given them too much power, and they are using it.

Comment

(I should note that my father makes a lot less than your father, so his opinions aren't necessarily valid.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            HC, my dad negotiates with manufacturing firms for a living. He thinks they're all ****ing morons. What do you think the odds are that that's actually true?
                            My dad thinks a lot of his clients do lots of silly **** too. (Which is why they hire lawyers to give them advice, so they know not to do the silly things.) But they don't go around extorting money out of random businesses because they can.

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            (I should note that my father makes a lot less than your father, so his opinions aren't necessarily valid.)

Comment

It's kind of interesting that HC never went through the teenage rebellion phase. I mean, there are few things more annoying than know-it-all teenagers who hate their parents' totally uncool dinosaur beliefs, but being slavishly devoted to your parents' personal anecdotes instead is right up there.

Comment

You need to have an imagination to be rebellious.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X