No announcement yet.

Distressed Stranger Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's really a shame. Back in the 70's I used to hitchhike all the time and picked up many also. There was no consensus that it was dangerous. I met a lot of good people that way. Anyone that would pick me up couldn't be all bad.

It's a shame that our society has involved to the point that you're considered an idiot if you accept similar kindness these days.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

My dad drove from NYC to Miami in under 24 hours by picking up hitchhikers and letting them drive circa 1978.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        I was with a friend once and got approached by a woman with a (real) baby who needed money to buy formula. My friend wouldn't give her any cash, but took her in to the nearby CVS and bought her formula, diapers, and some other baby stuff. She resisted the whole time, saying my friend didn't need to come shopping with her, and that all she wanted was some cash to pay for formula. But my friend was very insistent, so she kept up the act and shopped for her baby. Probably returned it all later, but shrug.
        I'll bet it wasn't even her baby
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
          My dad drove from NYC to Miami in under 24 hours by picking up hitchhikers and letting them drive circa 1978.
          On our way back from the west coast we picked up a guy in Arizona in the desert and brought him all the way back to Illinois. He looked really hungry so we figured he didn't have any money so we shared any food we bought with him. When we dropped him off, he had the most thankful look on his face and reached into his bag and offered us a valuable gift. Karma.
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It is an old scam though I have twice given people $20 because they said they got robbed and needed money to get a cab home. I figured it was likely a scam but on the off chance the story was true. If it wasn't then I was out $20 but if they really needed help then I helped.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I've experienced almost the same car-broke-down scam, but I was in a parking lot at the time. I said, 'No problem. I'm a AAA member. Where is your car parked, and what's your licence number?' He just walked away....
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Some guy on the internet said he had a forum that had been hacked and his management group had jumped ship ... needed to find a way to keep it online and was even willing to hand over ownership.

I fell for it hook, line, and sinker

Comment

and it's a scam that will haunt you for years to come
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I would never ask to borrow money from a stranger to fix my car.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I've given rides to hitchhikers in GWNF and SNP. Specifically, the kinds that look like they are hikers trying to make their way back to their cars.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I don't think I would do so in North(of SF Bay) Cali though
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I've given rides to hitchhikers, so far none of them has murdered me

Before they get in the car I always make sure to ask if they're planning on murdering me
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Just like police officers, they're required by law to tell you.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                              Over here, now that we have them -
                              Welcome to the west ....

Comment

When I was getting the Eurostar every week there was a guy at Gare du Nord who would tell a sob story about how he'd been robbed of wallet and passport, and that although the consulate was organising a replacement passport he had no money for a hotel for the night. First time I heard the story I said "sorry, can't help", second time I said "wow, twice in one week? Sucks to be you!".
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X