HSBC are cheap bastards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSBC are cheap bastards

I wasn't paying attention to my accounts and I just realized my HSBC savings account was only paying me 0.05% interest. I am now in the process of transferring it to a savings account that is paying me 0.75% interest. By the middle of next week, I shall have given myself a 15X raise.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

At least it's not as bad as Wells Fargo

Comment

Is that an annual rate??
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Get a CD if you must keep cash. Most will let you write checks against the account as long as you maintain a minimum balance.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
          Is that an annual rate??
          Yes. Google ZIRP.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

I read about ZIRP... Isn't this a horrible idea? What incentive is there to save money? Most of my bank money's at about 2%, and I find that a fairly useless return.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
              I read about ZIRP... Isn't this a horrible idea? What incentive is there to save money?
              :facepalm:
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

CiTBank is offering 1.12% apr certificates of deposit on minimum amounts of $25k which shouldn't be a problem. Frankly, you'd get a much better return on equities but if you must hold cash than 1.12% sure beats 0.05%. They're both **** returns though.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

10,5 on a term deposit here. Or 3 if it's in USD.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I looked up the forward rates, they suggest only about a 10% decline in the value of the rouble. I was surprised it wasn't more.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                      10,5 on a term deposit here. Or 3 if it's in USD.
                      I honor our sanctions. But I do make exceptions for food items.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                        I looked up the forward rates, they suggest only about a 10% decline in the value of the rouble. I was surprised it wasn't more.
                        10% more on top of a pretty big drop. I don't think it can go lower without a total collapse (which I don't see happening).

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          CiTBank is offering 1.12% apr certificates of deposit on minimum amounts of $25k which shouldn't be a problem. Frankly, you'd get a much better return on equities but if you must hold cash than 1.12% sure beats 0.05%. They're both **** returns though.
                          It's just my emergency mad money.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                            10% more on top of a pretty big drop. I don't think it can go lower without a total collapse (which I don't see happening).
                            The rouble suffered its biggest one-day decline since 1998 as oil prices continued to fall on Monday, escalating fears about the Russian economy.

The currency slid almost 9% against the dollar before rallying after suspected central bank intervention.

It's a coming.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I did not think Putin would be so stubborn as to risk a currency collapse. Apparently, I was wrong. I wonder if he will throw his finance minister in jail.

Comment

Working...
                              X