Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortes...lem#Algorithms

Incidentally, that article links to the Philosophy article with a path length of 3

Also, I pulled that number out of my ass
    OK yes I know about shortest path algorithms, but I figure they're probably too slow on something like Wikipedia. Or not? I dunno. Did not spend much time thinking about the problem before posing question
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

4 million articles roughly, dijkstra will run in O(n log n) since we only care about one link on each article. That's not too bad. Bellman-Ford will run in linear time, for the same reason, only one edge that we care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        OK yes I know about shortest path algorithms, but I figure they're probably too slow on something like Wikipedia. Or not? I dunno. Did not spend much time thinking about the problem before posing question
        Biggest problem I foresee is that the entire graph probably won't fit into memory, so you'll need to partition it first and that's not trivial
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I bet the way it was calculated was actually with a random sample, rather than solving the graph problem completely.

Comment

Computing Point-to-Point Shortest Paths from External Memory

Comment

Not sure if it'd been more pleasant if I kept my Saturday night to this thread.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I spent my Saturday night alternating between passed out on my bed and watching Gilmore Girls. What about you?
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Doesn't matter. Even if it doesn't make you happier you still should go out on weekends, even if it's on your own. It's not just happy experiences that enrichen your life.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I wouldn't know where to go or what to do, but I've got another thread for discussing that.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Bar, any bar.

Comment

Don't know where the bars are, and wouldn't know what to do if I were in one.

Comment

Drink too much, hit on a biker's girlfriend, get the **** kicked out of you

Or you could try going to a gay bar, in which case: drink too much, hit on a biker's boyfriend, get the **** kicked out of you

Comment

Drinking is very easy once you get the hang of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X