Any tax experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tax experts here?

It's about the witholding on payments to foreign persons.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Are they Americans? If so, screw them. They live in a country where food is cheap and if they don't already have a **** ton of money, it's their own damn fault.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yes, unless you are asking for advice, in which case no.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

You might be able to look it up online.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
          Are they Americans? If so, screw them. They live in a country where food is cheap and if they don't already have a **** ton of money, it's their own damn fault.
          I'm the foreign person in question, the tax is American.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Why would the US tax you?
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

ww2
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Because the US levies a 30% withholding tax on payments to foreign persons.

Comment

can't you start chewing a chewing gum and pretend you're american?

Comment

Maybe if this was 50 years ago.

Comment

Maybe you can wear a cowboy hat and boots then touch the tip of your hat and say howdy ma'am, there seems to be a mix up with the tax returns

Comment

I'm not an expert. So don't act on anything I say.

What's the arrangement? Can you set it up as a sale of goods rather than employment? There seems to be a big difference based on how the exchange of goods and services is set up.

For instance, to the best of my knowledge I can buy a wooden chair from a Filipino and there's no US tax concerns for the exchange unless it happens to be a chair worth 5 figures or more. But if I hired a Filipino to build the same wooden chair it could be all sorts of tax and legal hassles. But if I give Net spending money and she hires a Filipino to build a wooden chair there's no problem. In all 3 cases there's a chair in my house and money gone ... but it's totally different somehow. I'm sure there's all sorts of edge cases, exceptions, and gotchas in there too ...

Comment

Do without. At the end of the year, file a tax return. If you did not make too much money, you will get it back. If you do owe taxes, you can deduct that from your Belgian income.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

No, it's about selling prints through an American site. The buyer payes the site, the site pays me and witholds 30% for Uncle Sam. I'm trying to learn whether 1) that income will still subject to Belgian income tax afterwards, 2) since The Belgian govt would probably subject me to a lower tax rate, I can reclaim those taxes, or alternatively, I can just not pay Uncle Sam's 30%.

The picture I'm getting is this: as a matter of principle (per tax treaty), it should be my govt that has the right to tax me on that income, but Uncle Sam doesn't care. Also per treaty the Belgian can't tax me on that income again. I can probably avoid the withholding tax by filing an ITIN but that's supposed to take a long time and be expensive, thus not worth the bother. After all, why make it easy for foreigners not to pay a tax they're not supposed to be paying?

Comment

If you make money in/through the US, the U.S. taxes you. Belgium has agreed to not tax you in that income. File a US tax return. If you made less than $15000 USD or so, you should get it all refunded.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X