New Theory Emerges About Dinosaur Extinction Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Theory Emerges About Dinosaur Extinction Event

A Summerville High School student who says he was arrested and suspended after writing about killing a dinosaur using a gun in a class assignment has hired a lawyer.

SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) -

A Summerville High School student who says he was arrested and suspended after writing about killing a dinosaur using a gun in a class assignment has hired a lawyer.

Attorney David Aylor, who is representing 16-year-old Alex Stone, said his client's arrest over a creative writing assignment on Tuesday was "completely absurd," and is seeking to appeal the suspension and "proceed with the legal issues of [Stone's] arrest."

“This is a perfect example of ‘political correctness' that has exceeded the boundaries of common sense," Aylor said in a statement released on Thursday."Students were asked to write about themselves and a creative Facebook status update – just days into the new school year – and my client was arrested and suspended after a school assignment."

The Summerville Police Department who arrested Stone on Tuesday on a charge of disorderly conduct is disputing Stone's account of his arrest.

"The information that is being reported is grossly incorrect in reference to what led to the juvenile being charged," said Capt. Jon Rogers in a Summeville police statement released on Thursday."The charges do not stem from anything involving a dinosaur or writing assignment, but the student's conduct."

Stone said he and his classmates were told in class to write a few sentences about themselves, and a "status" as if it was a Facebook page. Stone said in his "status" he wrote a fictional story that involved the words "gun" and "take care of business."

"I killed my neighbor's pet dinosaur, and, then, in the next status I said I bought the gun to take care of the business," Stone said.

Stone says his statements were taken completely out of context.

"I could understand if they made him re-write it because he did have "gun" in it. But a pet dinosaur?" said Alex's mother Karen Gray."I mean first of all, we don't have dinosaurs anymore. Second of all, he's not even old enough to buy a gun."

Investigators say the teacher contacted school officials after seeing the message containing the words "gun" and "take care of business," and police were then notified on Tuesday.

Summerville police officials say Stone's book bag and locker were searched on Tuesday, and a gun was not found. According to police, when Stone was asked by school officials about the comment written on the assignment, he became "very irate" and said it was a joke.

A Summerville Police Department report states that Stone continued to be disruptive and was placed in handcuffs, and was told that he was being detained for disturbing schools.

According to Gray, Stone was suspended for the rest of the week. Gray says she is furious that the school did not contact her before her son was arrested.

She says her son followed directions and completed an assignment.

"If the school would have called me and told me about the paper and asked me to come down and discussed everything and, at least, get his point-of-view on the way he meant it. I never heard from the school, never. They never called me," said Gray.

Stone and his mother say they understand the sensitive nature of what he wrote, but they say it was a rash reaction to an innocent situation.

"I regret it because they put it on my record, but I don't see the harm in it," Stone said."I think there might have been a better way of putting it, but I think me writing like that, it shouldn't matter unless I put it out towards a person."
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

there are just some things you don't put on facebook. but it's something how people continue to do just that. I guess what does the mother expect? if a lesson was learned here... that would be good. and just maybe the kid will not get fired one day for a stupid face book post - but I bet he will.

Comment

You don't have to arrest children to teach them facebook etiquette
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Facebook is forever. He won't get fired because he won't get hired in the first place.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
          You don't have to arrest children to teach them facebook etiquette
          yeah, but after one of these kids kills a bunch of people in school - and it's found out he made threats on facebook (or posted something that could be taken as a threat) and nothing was done. hmmm... someone wouldn't have a good day - I would arrest him and 10 more stupid kids that look just like him before I take heat.

again, there are some things you can't post on facebook. it amazes me how many people (young seems like) post there entire life out there... moment by moment some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
            Facebook is forever. He won't get fired because he won't get hired in the first place.
            and this is so true - the first place some looked at now before a hire. it almost makes the hire process easy, at least weeding out the ones you really don't want.

Comment

I love how this started as a "creative writing" assignment.

Apparently the "wrong" kind of creativity can have severe consequences...
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Pretty sure he didn't actually post anything to Facebook. It was a creative writing assignment where he was supposed to write a Facebook-style piece, and for some reason he thought that was what the kids are posting on Facebook these days.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

My guess is the school had a policy of reporting all suspected threats no matter how minor. Many schools have these policies these days and teachers have to follow them or get fired.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

God forbid, we ask teachers (or anybody) to use their judgment.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

like what - decide which threats are real... and just wing it until some kid brings in a bushmaster.

Comment

I think we can say pretty conclusively that threats against extinct animals aren't real.

Comment

Comment

That's the last spielberg right there.

Comment

Is this a satire/parody "news" piece?
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X