ISIS officially approves Paradox Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    HoI is too much work for a single person. A country like Germany mid-way through the war has hundreds of diverse regiments with different attributes and weapon systems and you control every single one.

It's way too much. Games need to simplify things at least a little bit.
    Most games do. The main premise of HoI is that it's a very detailed WWII game. You might as well complain about Mario involving too much jumping on platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      HoI is way too complicated. You have to schedule aircraft sorties for god sakes. You need a freaking general staff to actually play the game.
      Damn you suck Albie.

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
      The biggest issue with HoI IMO is the fact that the tech tree is way more complicated than it rightly needs to be. You could just have "tech for being good at tanks" for instance. This is in fact the direction HoI4 is going in.
      I don't think it's the complexity as much as that it's just a really badly laid out system. Probably my least favourite tech system of the series so far.

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that paratroopers don't take strength/org/morale hits when their transports get shot down, and units load/unload from ships at seaports instantly. Paratroopers arrive with 7 days of supplies and amphibious assaults arrive with 30 days of supplies/fuel. This makes invasions way easier than they really should be.
      Amen to that. You can get away with some outrageous invasions that would have been utterly ridiculous in real life. It always feels like the invader is the one with the upper hand, while the defender is left wide open. There's never really that sense of real danger from landing units in hostile territory.

Comment

Against the AI my standard amphbious invasion tactic is to pre-build a level 1 port from the production menu, land paratroopers next to a port city, deploy the level 1 port when they hit the ground, then dump ****loads of tanks right onto that province. It's ludicrous.

Comment

Against the AI my standard amphbious invasion tactic is to pre-build a level 1 port from the production menu, land paratroopers next to a port city, deploy the level 1 port when they hit the ground, then dump ****loads of tanks right onto that province. It's ludicrous.
          You just described pretty much what actually happened.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of how we invaded Normandy; the thing is, the AI is helpless against it because you can't practically garrison an entire coastline against paratroopers which deploy instantly and in perfect order, and tanks unload immediately instead of taking time to get off the ships. Supplies are also a non-issue because supply drops are super efficient and you get 30 days to take a big port.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of how we invaded Normandy;
              Are you sure? Your post seems to heavily suggest that you aren't.
              the thing is, the AI is helpless against it because you can't practically garrison an entire coastline against paratroopers which deploy instantly and in perfect order, and tanks unload immediately instead of taking time to get off the ships. Supplies are also a non-issue because supply drops are super efficient and you get 30 days to take a big port.
              You just pretty much described the actual challenges the Germans faced.

Anything else?
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Executing Normandy in real life required way more resources than it actually does in game. Similarly, it is really really easy to invade Japan and the UK because invasions are so simple. Operation Sealion would have been a logistical impossibility. In game it should be possible, certainly, because that way the game is fun, but it shouldn't just be "that thing you do right after you finish with France."

What I was describing earlier, seizing level 10 ports by just plopping down next to them, in real life required months of hard fighting in places like Brest and Le Havre. It takes a couple of days in HoI.

In game, a whole army of units can just plop down instantaneously on any tile, no matter what its terrain, and run around unmolested for a month before it starts running low on supplies. Part of this is just because of how broken paratroopers are. Don't tell me that being able to ninja victory points with fully intact divisions after they get 90% of their planes shot down is reasonable.

Comment

You should make a mod. It's easy.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                  X