X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava View Post
    yeah, just like Jesus
    he was a big fan of the money lenders
    Ben is obviously not a follower of Jesus. No use beating a dead, deaf horse.

Comment

Next Generation Left
      tres cool

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAAAAAH! View Post
        Next Generation Left
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Your best fit is...
          Solid Liberal
          along with 15% of the public.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Is "solid liberal" the most liberal label?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Next Generation Left
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

yeah, just like Jesus
                he was a big fan of the money lenders
                Money CHANGERS not money LENDERS.

Originally posted by ME
                The temple had its own currency, based on the idea that civil currencies were somehow "unclean" and not to allowed into the temple coffers. In addition, the temple tithe, set at 10%, was considered a tax, not an offering -- it had to be paid, or you weren't a proper Jew, couldn't participate in the rites, etc. So the temple moneychangers were there to convert the unclean to the clean currency, with a hefty percentage on top, so the people ended up paying considerably more than 10%. The Saducees tolerated this because they got a cut of this, and the people tolerated this because they had no choice.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Is "solid liberal" the most liberal label?
                  I don't think so because I was in the middle of it and at the far left there was "constistent liberal" (I think it was the same with regard to conservative).

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                    Money CHANGERS not money LENDERS.
                    While the oft-quoted phrase you are referring to is correct, "money lenders" does appear.

If you lend money to one of My people among you who is poor, you must not act as a creditor to him; you are not to charge him interest.

Two men were debtors to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.

The terms are all but inter-changeable, considering they describe a single group of people.

But I do appreciate the idiotic pedantry.
                    So don't take this as a criticism.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes, but not in the context of Jesus overturning their tables. In fact, he was quite civil with the other kind.

In fact, taking a closer look at your references, the first doesn't deal with moneychanging at all, and in the second the lender is a stand-in for GOD.

Comment

Yes, but not in the context of Jesus overturning their tables. In fact, he was quite civil with the other kind.
                        Good for me that I didn't reference that specific incident.
                        In fact, taking a closer look at your references, the first doesn't deal with moneychanging at all, and in the second the lender is a stand-in for GOD.
                        Both quotes feature the phrase "money lender" in some form. "Money changers" refers to early bankers... who also lent money.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ah...well, yes, he ate frequently with the money lenders and publicans.

Comment

Ah...well, yes, he ate frequently with the money lenders and publicans.
                            ... while threatening them

Originally posted by Proverbs 22:7-8 (ESV)
                            7The rich rules over the poor,
                            and the borrower is the slave of the lender.
                            8 Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity,
                            and the rod of his fury will fail.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

damn right

Comment

Biblehub is a great site, btw. It shows you how many times a word or phrase has been referenced. For instance, God seems to care a lot more about uncircumcised penii (as well as social justice and money issues) than he does being gay... if you go by number of times referenced.

Sadly, I've not found one reference to abortion.

Infanticide? God seems to endorse it and practices it quite often.

Crap, I just turned this into a BK thread.

I'm sorry.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X