Decisive Battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisive Battles

Was idly flicking through 'What If' Vol. I and John Colvin's 'Decisive Battles' and couldn't remember when I'd last seen a Poly thread about the major turning points in world history- at least in terms of military combat.

There was a well-known book I read many years ago, called 'Decisive Battles Of The Western World', but in reality the ones listed weren't all decisive- some were just waypoints in a much longer conflict where one side temporarily gained an advantage, but nothing was decided.

So, what are your decisive battles and why ?
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

midway
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hard to imagine the English and all that followed with no Norman influence. Perhaps cliché.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

how about Rocroi 1643.
        French victory against the Spanish.
        My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Roe v Wade. 1970 something.

Comment

Battle of Tours. If not for this battle, most posters here would likely be Muslims.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Saratoga convinced the French to give the US cash, guns, and military aid.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I find it hard to see how the British could ever have won that war. Even with complete military victory. Unless the demand for independence was a transient phase.

Comment

I am a fan of Lepanto. Not many people realize the juggarnaught the Ottamans were in their heyday and what it took to contain them. Well unless you are an EU fan anyway.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                    I find it hard to see how the British could ever have won that war. Even with complete military victory. Unless the demand for independence was a transient phase.
                    The independence movement wasn't universal. Although polling obviously didn't exist back then, we're taught in school that a majority of Americans either didn't care about the outcome of the conflict, or were loyal to the king. Rebels formed a vocal and well armed minority, somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of the population, and mostly concentrated in New England. It's entirely possible that America could have been pacified, at least for a generation or two.
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Battle of Marathon

Battle of Arbela

Battle of Pharsalus

Alaric's 410 sack of Rome

and I'll go with a local one - Battle of Szigeth
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                        When there were as many Tories as rebels, it does not take much imagination. Crushing Washington at Valley Forge was quite doable.

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        midway
                        Decisive yes, but not a turning point. Japan would not have won.

Try the Battle of San Jacinto. Less than 3000 combatants, but it massively altered the map, both political and literal. I leave out anything more than 1000 years ago.

J

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                          Battle of Marathon
                          I'd go with the Battle of Plataea.

It was the final death knell of the Persian invasion of Greece.

Far bigger scale, far more catastrophic casualties for the Persians - and by accident too!
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

It's interesting that no one has mentioned Salamis yet. Now featured in a terrible motion picture !!!!!

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

eva green is overrated
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X