Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when this is a question far better suited for the legislature to decide
    It's not.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• How do you figure? What evidentiary powers does the Supreme Court have that makes them better able to ascertain the state of voting rights in certain parts of the country that makes them as equipped, or better equipped, than Congress to make such a determination? Can they issue subpoenas? Do they hear testimony? Talk to state legislators, election officials, and voters to make this determination?

Unless there is some reason for heightened scrutiny - which I don't think there is any precedent for nor did the Court seem to make it - there's no basis for undermining Congress' finding. None. It's reasonable to say the old standards are fine, so the old standards should stay.
      Last edited by metalhead; August 13, 2015, 19:28.
      Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
      Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
      Wadsworth: Well your work has not changed.

Comment

• SCOTUS determines Constitutionality of laws. Hence, if they give an exemption, they are the ones qualified to determine when Congress is not following that exemption according to the manner they have determined.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
        X