No announcement yet.

US Supreme Court gelds Voting Rights Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You didn't? He's got a pretty good history of being extremely hateful towards people in southern states. One wonders if he's ever been to one.

I find it pretty amusing, especially given that I've never met anyone who actually says the term "damnyankee" unironically, yet I've met plenty of people at college who seem to think the south must be some sort of cross between Waziristan and the seventh layer of hell. This sort of interstate hatred almost always seems to occur in one direction.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I know folks who unironically ascribe various faults to "Yankees". I have had one of my friends shake her head back and forth and say "Yankees" after a discussion involving her (born and raised in Georgia with her teen years in Texas) and me (born and raised in New Jersey) and our other friend (born and raised in Maine). I think you have to be of a certain age, or silly prideful, to think of Yankees in a bad light.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        I know folks who unironically ascribe various faults to "Yankees". I have had one of my friends shake her head back and forth and say "Yankees" after a discussion involving her (born and raised in Georgia with her teen years in Texas) and me (born and raised in New Jersey) and our other friend (born and raised in Maine). I think you have to be of a certain age, or silly prideful, to think of Yankees in a bad light.
        Hmm, well, full disclosure, I have every once in a while shook my head and said "****in' Californians "

Then again, half the time I'm just quoting Die Hard. The other half was when my roommate from LA ranted at me about how important recycling was.

(Being serious for a moment, I take your point, and it would be rather ironic of me to claim that the North has a monopoly on ignoramuses)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          Because the rural parts of Illinois, or Idaho, or even Iowa are all that much better?
          No, they're not a whole lot better in some instances.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Or better at all. I'd be willing to place small amounts of money on southern Illinois being more homophobic and racist than most of rural Virginia or North Carolina. It's also poorer, iirc.

Comment

I'll have more respect for white Southerners when they get over the fact they've lost the Civil War by burying the "Lost Cause" myopia and move on.

Comment

I love how you dump all white southerners in a bin like that. What's really awesome, though, is that you use the epithet "myopic" to describe them in the same sentence.

The truth of the matter, though, is that for most people who are big on southern identity, they'll drop the subject when you do. Folks like you are engaged in a culture war with southern (really, rural) culture, and I'm not talking just about gay rights--I'm talking about religion, abortion, guns, tobacco and so forth. When urban people go around talking like they need to bring rural areas up to speed, how do you expect people who live in the sticks to respond?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  I love how you dump all white southerners in a bin like that. What's really awesome, though, is that you use the epithet "myopic" to describe them in the same sentence.
                  A few people on here have called me "******" and other slurs. What are the rules here? Some forms of bigotry is acceptable but other forms of bigotry is not?

Comment

This isn't about bigotry, it's about irony. Besides, what makes you think those were ever acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      A few people on here have called me "******" and other slurs.
                      Get over it ******

Comment

Would thank, but I spent it already

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Besides, what makes you think those were ever acceptable?
                          No one has called anyone out for using slurs like that.

But god forbid if I say anything politically incorrect.

Comment

No, they're not a whole lot better in some instances.
                            Which, btw, invalidates the argument that 1972 election turnout and registration numbers are flawed for use for pre-clearance. The VRA was allowed by the SCOTUS (S.C. vs. Katzenbach) because extraordinary circumstances, indicated by the turnout & registration numbers in 1964 election combined with voter tests indicated that pre-clearance was necessary and proper under the 14th Amendment, even though in other contexts it would an unconstitutional restraint on equality of state sovereignty. That justification for allowing something that would normally be unconstitutional because you claimed it was necessary and proper due to numbers from 40 years ago is just ridiculous.

A better formula is needed, which would incorporate any racist counties in Mississippi, Alabama, or Illinois, Idaho, etc.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

To be perfectly honest I don't think there are any counties that actually still need it. The problem is contained to the point that it can be handled through the judicial system after damages have actually occurred.

Comment

No one has called anyone out for using slurs like that.

But god forbid if I say anything politically incorrect.
                                Welcome to freedom of speech. If you say bull, you will get called out for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X