No announcement yet.

Physics questions about the LHC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ends up being useful isn't always clear.

Like anti-matter.

Which was first theoretical, then investigated for fundamental science reasons, and then turned out to be useful in cancer treatment and imaging.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I propose double posting be renamed "Jon Millering."
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

JM is right, by the way. Real life doesn't come with a Civilopedia to tell you what new stuff your research will unlock.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
          Has he performed the experiment 50 million times to verify this, or is he just pulling a number out of his ass? How does he know it isn't 1:51,000,000 or 1:999,999,999,999,999?
          IMHO
          I think it was just pulled out of his ass.
          I'm not worried because the scientist know what they are talking about and would never lie to us.

Comment

Unsurprisingly, this thread disappoints.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
              JM is right, by the way. Real life doesn't come with a Civilopedia to tell you what new stuff your research will unlock.
              Sid Meier originally wanted to make the tech tree random in every game so you wouldn't have any idea what further advances would come from what you are currently researching.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                I'm surprised and disappointed that you would not at least try.

Comment

Okay, here's a perhaps more interesting question about the LHC:

How does the LHC detect particles resulting from high-energy collisions?
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

If it's unsurprising how is it disappointing?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      Sid Meier originally wanted to make the tech tree random in every game so you wouldn't have any idea what further advances would come from what you are currently researching.
                      That would actually be ****ing awesome. Of course, it would be frustrating to get screwed over by the RNG, but Civ is full of that already.

Comment

Isn't surprise an integral part of disappointment as if some expectation was surprisingly unmet? How then can it be unsurprising?

Damn - Missed Regex point
                        Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; December 11, 2012, 16:00.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Okay, here's a perhaps more interesting question about the LHC:

How does the LHC detect particles resulting from high-energy collisions?
                          Do you find cloud chambers interesting?
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                            Martin Rees, a U.K. physicist, has put the odds of a CERN black hole at one in 50 million.
                            The odds are tending to one, in a fiscal sense.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                              Isn't surprise an integral part of disappointment as if some expectation was surprisingly unmet? How then can it be unsurprising?

Damn - Missed Regex point
                              Not if disappointment is conditional on hope of beating expectations.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                                Not if disappointment is conditional on hope of beating expectations.
                                I like your Morgenthau quote in your sig. Here's another: ""We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be..... I don't pay what I should. People in my class don't. People who have it should pay."
                                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                                X