No announcement yet.

Apolyton Fantasy Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alby, you seem to think that saying "I prefer my way" is proselytizing. Donegeal has never tried to get us to change our leagues.

You, however, consistently think anyone not doing it the way you prefer -- including leagues that have used a consistent ruleset for years -- is "retarded" and their game is "broken."

So who's being the asshat here?

(Hint: It ain't Donegeal.)
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• What are you talking about? Donegeal always talks **** about traditional fantasy scoring formats.

Ironically enough, he mocked that Tebow is a top fantasy QB in traditional formats and now he starts him with success in his.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        You're acting like Sloww, Jrabbit.

My point is it's one thing if it's just a case of some people like vanilla and some like chocolate but donegeal always blathers about how his way is superior and more realistic. He proselytizes his way of playing fantasy. Criticizing it is therefore fair game and is beyond the realm of vanilla vs. chocolate.
        Pot and kettle.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Whatever. I have nothing more to say.

(cue Sloww: 'About time')
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Hehehehe...
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• BTW... I didn't officially start Brady over Tebow. We have a home field advantage rule in the playoffs. The higher seed in the 1st and 2nd round (weeks 14 and 15) gets to start an extra player. However, at the end of MNF, the starting roster gets trimmed by one player at the position you picked. This year, I started both Brady and Tebow but am going to eliminate Bradys stats and go with Tebows (it starts to get complicated here... Using Brady's stats, I loose the Passing category and Rushing category 0-7 (TD remains the same as passing TD count as 3 TD points) for 0-14 in those two categories. With Tebow's stats, I win Rushing 7-3 but loose passing 10-0 or 7-13 in the two categories.

In category scoring, who you play actually makes a difference to how well your team does. In traditional scoring, it really doesn't matter who you play, you still score the same. A side effect of this is that just because team A would have beaten team B and team B would have beaten team C does not always mean that team A would beat team C. "Weekly Top Scorer" doesn't always happen.

Oh, and I actually love doing the Madden thing like Al mentioned. Or I would if I had Madden... or a PS3 or whatever it's played on. The only thing I have to compare it with is the old NES Techmo Super Bowl. I would play that usually as a GM or head coach and not take over a player. Just build the best team I could... maybe call the plays and let the plays unfold without any interference from Human forsight or error.
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Football games have come a long way since Tecmo Bowl. Hell, Tecmo Bowl wasn't really even football.

Comment

• I had electric football.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I'm posting this to show how much like real football games have become relative to Tecmo Bowl and... *sigh* electric football. I googled madden tips and found this tutorial for a play from the Josh McDaniels' era playbook. Just gives you an idea of using motion to determine coverages, changing secondary routes to move zones away from the first read, etc. (personally, I make several pre-snap adjustments to routes, change blocking assignments, etc. on every snap; guys I play against have called me Peyton Manning though like Peyton, I sometimes do it just for show. It's funny to false audible and have a defense audible away to something more appealing ):

Compare that to this ****:

Now MRT will say that Madden is a joke because he probably plays on default rookie mode or something but when you play online against someone who is serious or set the settings right (default Madden settings suck), Madden is pretty deep. Basically, it gets as deep as you want it to be which is why it's accessible to casual gamers and sports fans. D-line/O-line interaction still needs a bit of work
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; December 20, 2011, 01:37.

Comment

• ****. I had the best team all season (for you traditional guys, I was season top scorer and weekly top scorer 5 times), then fall one game short. Lost 27-24. I was second high scorere this week. Only would have lost to the team I played.

Blah.

Comment

• Madden is still far from perfect, and it improves only at a snails pace. Some plays are simply better than others every time. For example, fast-developing run plays are always much stronger than slow-developing runs, and receivers never get separation on deep routes. I find myself spamming the same fast-developing, simple plays that work (such as the one in the video) and never using, say, a pitch play or trusting a stud WR to win in one-on-one coverage deep.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                          Madden is still far from perfect, and it improves only at a snails pace. Some plays are simply better than others every time. For example, fast-developing run plays are always much stronger than slow-developing runs, and receivers never get separation on deep routes. I find myself spamming the same fast-developing, simple plays that work (such as the one in the video) and never using, say, a pitch play or trusting a stud WR to win in one-on-one coverage deep.
                          I agree. Also, play-action which used to work well has been difficult to use the past two years. I think the problems with play-action, misdirection, pitches, etc. is they walk a fine-line with the AI and they make it too good. The AI can identify these plays too quickly.

It does kind of force a west coast offense with a lot of quick routes

However, I disagree with the separation on deep routes. I see guys get open enough on man coverage, especially if the DB presses and the WR beats it. Pump faking also helps.

Out of curiosity, what is your speed threshold set at? If you're playing against the computer, what are the CPU pass defense settings set to?

Comment

• do y'all need a special keyboard or device to play football on a pc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                              do y'all need a special keyboard or device to play football on a pc?
                              They stopped making Madden for the pc like 5 years ago.

Comment

• Jaguar, do you play on the xbox?

Comment

Working...
                                X