No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like how people on the twitter feed says they will cancel HBO now.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• It was pretty funny. It had been so long since I read the books that I had mostly forgotten this scene, but about halfway through, my memory started to kick in and the light bulb clicked on. And yeah, Talisa being there was nice since I didn't particularly like her character. Kinda gory though.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• How exactly do you forget THAT scene?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• It's been over 10 years. And I'm getting old. I've read thousands of books. Plots blur over time. And it didn't take long into the scene until it came back.
          It is fun reading the hate by those that didn't read the books and know it was coming.

I just makes me appreciate the line
          “If you think this has a happy ending, you obviously haven't been paying attention”.
          more.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• You must indeed be getting old

That is THE scene of the entire series. If nothing else people remember that.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• GOT already had a reputation for underusing decent actors, but they really surpassed themselves.

I was delighted to see Ramon Tikaram appear, and looked forward to seeing him stealing scenes and building up a new fanbase. He got three lines, and then next appeared as a severed head tipped out of a bag. Booooooooo.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                You must indeed be getting old

Different people remember different things. I never was really high on either character and remembered that they bought it, so for me that wasn't THE scene.
                The stabbing of Talisa in the stomach multiple times will make the scene visually memorable.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• As huge as the Red Wedding's slaughter is, the mortality rate in the series is so high that it feels more like a statistical anomaly than a world changing event. More characters than usual are being killed off all at once, big deal. It's a cool scene, with the build up in tension, and the way it shatters your expectations, but the books are full of that. Its importance is in destroying the Starks as a conventional force. Without a castle or army they have to survive as either hostages or fugitives. I like where the books go from there, with Arya and Bran. I sometimes think I'm the only person in the world who likes the Bran stuff.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Well, I don't know about THAT, necessarily. There are several other decent candidates in that book alone.

Spoiler:

1. The Purple Wedding
                    2. HER NAME WAS ELIA OF DORNE
                    3. In the end, Tywin Lannister did not **** gold.
                    4. IS THERE (stab) GOLD (stab) IN THE (stab) VILLAGE?! (stab stab stab stab stab)
                    5. The Moon Door
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                      As huge as the Red Wedding's slaughter is, the mortality rate in the series is so high that it feels more like a statistical anomaly than a world changing event. More characters than usual are being killed off all at once, big deal. It's a cool scene, with the build up in tension, and the way it shatters your expectations, but the books are full of that. Its importance is in destroying the Starks as a conventional force. Without a castle or army they have to survive as either hostages or fugitives. I like where the books go from there, with Arya and Bran. I sometimes think I'm the only person in the world who likes the Bran stuff.
                      I like Bran, but his chapters tend to be boring. Sansa is the complete opposite.

I think it is a world changing event because, up to this point, the Starks have been The Heroes. (Okay, Dany too, and probably Tyrion to some extent.) And then, boom, they are done. It shatters every trope of the genre.

Comment

• Yeah, when I read the books it was a big thing at the time, but I have to agree with Felch that losing main characters was a main stay in this series so it was nothing that special.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                          Well, I don't know about THAT, necessarily. There are several other decent candidates in that book alone.

Spoiler:

1. The Purple Wedding
                          2. HER NAME WAS ELIA OF DORNE
                          3. In the end, Tywin Lannister did not **** gold.
                          4. IS THERE (stab) GOLD (stab) IN THE (stab) VILLAGE?! (stab stab stab stab stab)
                          5. The Moon Door
                          Of course it is. Nothing else is close. How many people instinctively know what you are talking about when you mention the Red Wedding? How many folks literally threw their books across the room after that? It's the defining moment of the series.

Comment

• I would suggest that just as many would recognize at least 3 of those 5 scenes I listed just by what I wrote alone. But I don't disagree that the Red Wedding is probably #1; I just don't think it is the automatic slam dunk Moment Of The Series.

Comment

• There is a reason that Benioff and Weiss indicated that they wanted to make a Game of Thrones series simply to make Season 3 - that reason was the Red Wedding.

FWIW, I think it far outshines the 5 scenes - yes, even scene #1. Hell, I had to look up what quote #4 was.

Comment

Hell, I had to look up what quote #4 was.
                                For real?

Wow. I am legitimately shocked by that. That scene stuck with me hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X