Isolated resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolated resource

I can't believe I've never had this happen in a game before, but I don't think it has and I'm stumped. Here's the deal: I have a city on a coast, separated by a channel from a 2-square island that falls within its BFC. Because the game like to be cruel and taunt me, that island turns out to hold my one-and-only source of horses. So I research Sailing and send over a worker to pasture and road the horses, but I still have no access to horses. Since I can't build a city on the island, because it's too close to the extant city, how do I get my horses?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

You'll need

a) a pasture on the horses
    b) a road on both tiles
    c) A fort on the second tile

Or

a road and fort on the horses.

Note that the "can't build a city in another city's fat cross" rule only applies to cities on the same land mass. You could build a city on Horse Island and hook them up that way as well.

Hmmm.... I guess that's three options.
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Also, I believe a road + river on the little island would work, once you have sailing. (The river connects to the trade network same as a fort or city.)

Comment

@Thoth - makes sense, thanks

@wodan - nope; I needed sailing to get to the island in the first place, after all. What Thoth says actually makes a bit of real-world sense (not that that has anything to do with Civ) because, in real life if you had an resource-rich island you'd not only need a way to exploit it (pasture, mine, plantation) but also a place for ships to dock and carry it away; hence the need for a city or fort, I guess.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
          @wodan - nope
          Are you saying you put a river on the island in worldbuilder and it didn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
            Are you saying you put a river on the island in worldbuilder and it didn't work?
            No, I'm saying I misread your post because I'm an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
              No, I'm saying I misread your post because I'm an idiot.
              Oh, okay. no worries.

Comment

If those 2 tiles are on a separate landmass you can still settle a city on the other land mass even though it is "too close".
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth
                  Note that the "can't build a city in another city's fat cross" rule only applies to cities on the same land mass. You could build a city on Horse Island and hook them up that way as well.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                  X