No announcement yet.

Minecraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive seen minecraft run on 2 computers that can only run old games. Its in java, and while the older and graphiccard less computer had to have the draw distance turned down it still run the game and was playable on it.

This game is indeed a monumental time sink. The lighthouse and temple took about 6 hours to do, the gardens and library around 8 - waiting for trees to grow and interior decorating took up more time

And Harry, Im sorry. I started dreaming in blocks on day 1, i look at buildings and gardens and wonder how i can build them in blocks.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Been tinkering around in Survival with this. Mostly just playing as a mad man obsessed with a naturally made tower, which is what I'd do if really trapped on an island. I've built a small home within the mountain next to the tower, secured the area around the mountain and tower with a 3 block high wall, and have a series of tunnels to mining areas and my spawn point. Found and neutralized a spider spawn point, but haven't done anything else with it yet. I've recently build a path going up the tower and a waterfall going off of it for easy descent. Now I'm collecting materials to build an island in the sky from the top of the tower.

It seems that when you die, the objects you were holding have a pretty fast decay. I was disappointed to fall off the tower holding about 64 rails only to never find them again.

I find the engineering aspects of the game to be pretty interesting. Such how to most easily collect massive amounts of stone and transporting them up the tower. I'm considering building a massive crater next to my base. It should use less torches overall than tunneling and be a lot safer since I can open any caves to daylight.

Anyway, the game reminded me of this:

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

>>It seems that when you die, the objects you were holding have a pretty fast decay. I was disappointed to fall off the tower holding about 64 rails only to never find them again.

I think it depends on the objects. If you have glass on you, it tends to smash when you die. It is also possible (I did not yet test) that falling causes you to lose more things than just being blown up by a creeper, for example.

Just FYI, A 3 high wall is not necessary. All you need is a fence which counts as 1 1/2; or to be extra safe, you may need a 2 high wall. (I've accidentally knocked pigs over the fence before.

Re: Your crater. Don't forget to cover it over with a glass ceiling, so you don't accidentally fall in !
        Last edited by DarkCloud; September 28, 2010, 00:38.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I made it 3 high because it's still possible to jump on a 2 high from a nearby one high ledge. And skeletons can jump to shoot you over 2 high walls. The crater is planned as an incline toward the center. It will be a huge scar on the earth. >
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I've lost so much time on this game this week. I got a different game going at home and at work.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I have a question however: do you guys know if theres a way to know if there will be a lot of one resource in an area? I'm having a real tough time finding iron to build my railway with.

Comment

I've found that the resources are pretty well distributed. You can dig anywhere and find what you need, except for maybe gold and diamond.

I haven't been playing much lately, but my last project involved that giant crater I was working on. I've walled in and leveled out a huge span of land that I plan to turn into a giant hole. Currently, it is covered in torches so I can work on it at night. I expect it to yield all the materials I will need for construction.
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Right now im building a giant tower to look out over my property, but I keep falling off the damn thing and dieing. I'm too stuborn to build any kind of scaffolding, so I'm trying to hang by a pixel and build from the outside.

Comment

I found a natural tower and built some scaffolding around it to I can go up quickly. It doesn't take too long and is really convenient. Make it with steps so you don't have to jump all the time. For going down, I have a waterfall on one side. I also tunneled all the way beneath my tower and found some iron, red stone, and a zombie spawner.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

There has recenlt been a 'crouch' function introduced to stop falling off when trying to build blocks horizontally when on toip of the block. Hold down shift (right or left Im not sure) and you can walk over the edge of a block , and therefore easily place another block below you.

Comment

Be careful though, if you walk to the edge of a block and release shift, you will fall off the block
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Theres a couple of little odd bugs with crouching, if you place a block below you that is affected by gravity (ie sand) then if it falls it will make you fall too

Comment

I couldn't get into Minecraft for several weeks, until today. When I found a floating island next to a tall natural cliff, I had to get up there. When I got there with some cobblestone, I knew I had to build a house there. And as soon as it was built, I knew I had a home. That was the turning point. Now it has a nice front garden, and I want to build a star-gazing gazebo in the back. Have you ever noticed how beautiful are the square stars of Minecraft, slowly drifting across the sky?
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I bought the game on Monday, an early birthday gift to myself. I've been playing the free version that was offered. I've recently been working on a fairly large cavern that to my surprise was connected to a huge cave system complete with lava and water.

Weird thing that happened when I spawned - I spawned in a closed, dark cave. I had no idea how to get out until I blocked my spawn point with sand and suffocated myself. I was then able to pop out on top of the hill directly above the cave.

Comment

I've been playing this since August when Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a 1 year followup article on it. It's like digital crack; I haven't had "One More Turn" syndrome this bad since Civ 1.
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X