No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably reconsidering his thoughts on the strengths of the Celtic League. Munster were, um, monstrous against Saints even with a scrum that was ploughed into the ground by the Saints beats. Munster just won everywhere else except the scrum. POC, having slimmed down, looks to have a new lease on life. I haven't seen much of the winger Zebo but it looks like he can both attack and defend.

Ulster had every opportunity to beat Clermont, naivety and unforced errors cost them. And Dave Pearson, who let the Clermont TH bind on Court's arm all day, either pulling him down or lifting him up. Still, if they can keep that XV fit, because they don't have a lot of depth in back up, Ulster will cause others plenty of problems.

Didn't see Leicester -v- Aironi but the report suggests it was a bit lacklustre. But a big surprise to see 12Trees off to Glaws next season. What's behind that? Apart from money?

Thank goodness for Bath - never thought I'd ever type those words - because they were one of my few successful tips in a dire HC round.
    Last edited by finbar; January 22, 2012, 04:00. Reason: It's Sunday morning, cut me some slack!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
      And Dave Pearson, who let the Clermont TH bind on Court's arm all day, either pulling him down or lifting him up.
      Never expect too much of a referee regarding scrums. Yesterday, I was playing loosehead and got penalised because my tighthead was binding on the elbow of his vis-a-vis. The referee called the bad prop... I mean, he's just one head taller than I, on the right side of the scrum, not the left, and all that... Later on, the same referee checks whether we can push the scrum because the opposite tighthead had been binned for 10 minutes. We realise when he says that they lack a hooker (!?) that he was mistaking the teams for one another (hopefully he got it right in the end). Nevertheless, he was a quite decent referee. Seeing how matches without a ref can quickly degenerate, I tend to have lower expectations than I used to. If the match doesn't turn into a fight, then the referee is not that bad.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Well, after the disaster that was Friday night I placed a new bet after the Ulster game.

If I hadn't been totally brain dead and backed Ospreys I'd have made a neat £250 profit this week. Predicted Munster, Scarlets, Saracens, Cardiff Blues and Edinburgh perfectly. I really don't understand what possessed me to back Ospreys away against a re-surgent Biarritz. Bah!

A splendid weekend of rugby and a big thumbs up to all those teams that played their hearts out despite having nothing to play for.

On the subject of referees I thought the Ulster game was handled strangely. An early yellow card for pretty much nothing against Ulster a la Allain Rolland which seemed to be there simply to lay down a marker. Similar to Alain Rolland, the referee was allergic to yellow for the rest of the game. Sivivatu blatantly blocked the chaser in a kick through - the kick landing in the in goal area. Later Nathan Hines deserved yellow for holding two Ulster players. On the Ulster side we had a blatant follow through on the Clermont no. 10 that the referee had a long look at. Put simply, like Rolland, the over the top yellow in the first minutes was not matched throughout the game. All the same, it was a terrific game.
        Last edited by kittenOFchaos; January 22, 2012, 14:03. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• So, 6 of the quarter-finalists are from the Celtic League including Edinburgh! One French and one English team to make up the numbers

Comment

• And Sarries were very nearly seriously embarrassed by Treviso. Gee, you wouldn't want Stevens anywhere near the England front row. He started at LH, penalised several times; changed to TH, ditto, and the Treviso front row is capable at best. Treviso could easily have won - pity about the disallowed try for a man being held off the ball - and, arguably, deserved to. Much more convincing than Sarries on the day.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
              So, 6 of the quarter-finalists are from the Celtic League including Edinburgh! One French and one English team to make up the numbers
              One French team or two? Aren't Clermont and Toulouse both through?

Comment

• I was right. Two French, one English, five Celtic League.

QFS:

Munster v Ulster
                Leinster v Blues
                Edinburgh v Toulouse
                Saracens v Clermont Auvergne

SEMIS:

Munster/Ulster v Edinburgh/Toulouse
                Saracens/Clermont v Leinster/Cardiff

Which, I suspect, will mean Munster -v- Toulouse and Clermont -v- Leinster.
                Last edited by finbar; January 22, 2012, 14:25. Reason: Call me anal!

Comment

• Narraway added to the England squad. Fair call. Big effort on the weekend, he's in form. Nice to see Lancaster rewarding form.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                    One French team or two? Aren't Clermont and Toulouse both through?
                    The same part of my brain that let me put money on Ospreys was in action there.

Toulouse may come unstuck in Edinburgh - they certainly didn't travel well to Gloucester.

Comment

• Whether Edinburgh can match Glaws' effort is the question. Glaws had multiple attacking options, blinding speed and sound defence. Edinburgh's attack, not in Glaws' class, is stronger than its defence. All of which means, given my history, that Edinburgh will trounce the Frenchmen.

Comment

• Someone at Apolyton finally paid the electricity bill!

Big weekend coming up. I fear for Italy against France, Ireland should be too good for weakened Wales, and inexperienced England -v- fired-up Scotland will be the most interesting of all. I'm looking forward to seeing who Lancaster starts.

Comment

• Well, pretty much the team the media was selecting. Sarries midfield. Farrell deserves his chance, not sure about Barritt. I've never been convinced that he offers enough. Still, Lancaster is obviously counting on the familiarity from club rugby to overcome inexperience et al. Dowson at 8? The back row looks light.

Oh, and I'd have Parling in front of the blond Bok bloke anytime.
                          Last edited by finbar; February 2, 2012, 06:43. Reason: Out of practice

Comment

• I've actually been distracted by a family matter. And have spent January not drinking which has played havoc (havak?) with my nerves.

Not read back very far through the thread so please bear that in mind. Knock out phase qualification would tend to support kOc's point about the Celtic league (or Pro12 thingamajick) except for the one simple fact at play here - I'm right instead.

Edinburgh have been extremely lucky even after playing above themselves and will get no further even being at home. Blues will be walloped by the only real class side in the cup. Ulster will be stuffed silly by a team that blows hot and cold (sure they destroyed Saints but it was a dead rubber for the latter who were entirely switched off) and I suspect Saracens will progress. their tedious limited kicking game should prove very effective against CA who will never have experienced Watford on a wet April afternoon.

A Sarries-Leinster final for me (if I have read the draw correctly) in which I will cheer the Dubliners.

The serious point is the irish provincial system has them well placed to out achieve Premierships sides. Biggers squads due to a much higher wage bill - far more injury tolerant than English sides and they can even save their best players and keep them fresh for important games. Some of the sides Leinster field in the Pro12 bear no relation at all to the side that will destroy Blues.

12Trees has been guaranteed the starting berth in the 12 shirt at Glaws Finbar. It's a big mistake by the lad - but entirely his to make.

The squad for Scotland. 18 of the players come from just 4 Premiership sides. Only 2 from the other 8 (Palmer is still at Stade and Morgan at Llanelli so I only see Corbisiero and Webber from the other Premiership sides?).

I don't have many problems with the selection EXCEPT Hodgson. I am sorry kOc but he has proved time and again he cannot tackle a reasonable sized sandwich. The brave choice would have been Farrell at 10 instead of 12?
                            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Strange, Mrs finbar had January off the booze, too. She was told that, after a month, the first glass of wine would taste pish. The big smile on her face after her first sip suggests otherwise.

Yes, the Celtic league certainly has an advantage in the ways described, and there are others, but it was a pretty dire HC year for the Prem teams anyway.

Farrell at 10 in an entirely novice midfield would have been one step too far. His experience at 10 is very limited anyway, mainly last season, when someone, I can't remember who, was injured. With CH at 10 this season, he's been wearing 13 but switching between 12 and 13 with Barritt. I think CH will get away with it. The other gripe I had was the hooker on the bench. The man cannot throw!

Comment

• And is an insect thereby doubly damned!

In my experience the first taste after a detox period is nectar - I'm with Mrs Finbar on that one.
                                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                X