Please explain the ending of Watchmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain the ending of Watchmen

Got it from the library to see what all the fuss is/was about. I'm not sure why "the smartest man in the world" chooses a well-known variant form of his own ****ing name as the password to his super-secret files, nor why he implemented a password system that actually says, "no, that wasn't quite it, but you were close. Guess again, with something a little longer?" But I'll overlook that, as it was essential to the plot that he become temporarily retarded in that respect. Plus it was written in the eighties, so that kind of idiocy isn't utterly inexcusable, I guess. At least he didn't use his pet's name.

But what's up with the ending? His nefarious plan is a nonsensical cross between 9/11 and Orson Welles' production of War of the Worlds. A big ugly thing mysteriously appears in NYC, stone dead, and half the population inexplicably dead beside it. So naturally the USA and USSR conclude that this gigantic thing is the forerunner of a massive alien invasion (the U.S. doesn't do what it really would and figure it's a communist secret weapon) and they have to step back from the brink of nuclear war so they can fight it off together. Also, apparently there are psychic people in the Watchmen universe--they were just never mentioned and had no meaningful impact on the plot until Ozymandias popped them out.

Of course, we teamed up with the dirty commies before, against Hitler, and the Cold War began shortly after his body hit the floor of that bunker. So Ozzy will have to mount a perpetual campaign of phony Space Invaders to keep the two world superpowers from threatening each other with annihilation again, until such time as we actually begin liking each other again. Or alternate-reality Gorbachev comes to power, but I don't think Moore anticipated that. So the guy has to continue to mount a series of "alien attacks" indefinitely, with a real body count and special effects convincing enough to hoodwink the entire world. And everybody but Rorschach is okay with this plan.

In a word, the ending is incredibly frigging stupid. Why? I can think of five explanations:

1. The creators of Watchmen were actually morons, and it didn't occur to them that the plot had holes the size of the Grand Canyon in it.
    2. They weren't morons per se, but the story's ending has some huge symbolic meaning to them and they value that more than its actually making a lick of sense.
    3. They wrote themselves into a corner, were facing a deadline or something, and so just threw something in the gap for want of anything better.
    4. It's a sly reference to another comic, or a gigantic gag. I hear Watchmen is highly subversive of comic-book conventions and other stuff that gets hipsters off, so they decided to be anarchically wacky.
    5. I'm missing some crucial element that makes it not-stupid.

Which one of the five is it, Watchmen fans? Or is it something else entirely?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I'm not sure why "the smartest man in the world" chooses a well-known variant form of his own ****ing name as the password to his super-secret files, nor why he implemented a password system that actually says, "no, that wasn't quite it, but you were close. Guess again, with something a little longer?"

If it makes you feel better, just pretend that Night Owl didn't break the actual 30-character, randomized password that the smartest man in the world would surely use but the "Who is your favorite pharaoh?" security question that the Veidt Industries security software forced Ozymandias to provide an answer for.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So naturally the USA and USSR conclude that this gigantic thing is the forerunner of a massive alien invasion (the U.S. doesn't do what it really would and figure it's a communist secret weapon) and they have to step back from the brink of nuclear war so they can fight it off together. Also, apparently there are psychic people in the Watchmen universe--they were just never mentioned and had no meaningful impact on the plot until Ozymandias popped them out.

The psychic people are the reason the US/USSR think the squid was the forerunner to an alien invasion; the squid broadcast a psychic message saying as much when it appeared in New York. Psychics are gay and unbelievable, I agree, but if you accept that they exist then the rest of the ending makes sense.

The ending in the movie was much better, I thought.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

4. It's a sly reference to another comic, or a gigantic gag. I hear Watchmen is highly subversive of comic-book conventions and other stuff that gets hipsters off, so they decided to be anarchically wacky.

Pretty much.

Though I also think the movie ending is much better.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

--"I'm not sure why "the smartest man in the world" chooses a well-known variant form of his own ****ing name as the password to his super-secret files, nor why he implemented a password system that actually says, "no, that wasn't quite it, but you were close. Guess again, with something a little longer?""

Because he wanted it to be broken. It's not like he wouldn't expect the goings on to attract Rorschach's attention. Not sure whether or not he expected Nite Owl to get involved as well, but given their old partnership it's hardly unlikely. Get the remaining people who might be dangerous to his plan out to where he can either convince them or kill them. It was weak on purpose.

-"But what's up with the ending?"

As Drake says, the psychics are the key here. They do get a minor mention somewhat earlier on, IIRC, when there's talk about the disappearances and the mysterious island.

--"but I don't think Moore anticipated that."

Best objection of the lot. Not that I think Ozymandias would balk at that solution at this point. No reason the rest of them, aside from Dr. Manhattan, would think that far ahead, though, and he's detached enough from humanity to not care either.

Wraith
          "Do not question me! I control your arms!"
          - Zim ("Invader Zim")

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
            The ending in the movie was much better, I thought.
            QFT. The ending in the movie was a huge improvement on the original plot.

Comment

Working...
            X