Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB - 2009 Regular Season Thread!!

Ming
    Country
    This is Ming's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    16:35

MLB - 2009 Regular Season Thread!!

The other one went past 500... The HOF voting was being discussed.

Congrats to Henderson. Rice should be happy to be in. And a few deserving candidates got screwed yet again.

Continued from here:
    http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...=178832&page=7
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Baron O

Ben Kenobi
    Country
    This is Ben Kenobi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Btw, still pissy about Blyleven. I mean seriously, what else does he need to do? The BBWAA do realize that not ever good player has played in Boston or New York, right?
    If Boston and New York didn't see fit to pick him up that's a strike against them. Doesn't at least every dominant player in an era play for them?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith and Solomwi you will be missed
    "The fact that [sex between a 36 year old and 15 year old] was consensual is a BIG DIFFERENCE." Ming
    "You should definitely do that." - Kentonio on voting fraud.

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    17:35
    Rays sign Gabe Kapler to a $1m contract...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2008&fext=.jsp

I think I like the addition... I'd rather have Baldelli, but he ended up with (up to) $2.25m on the Red Sox, and the Rays apparently couldn't afford that. Kapler is certainly a good pickup, though.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Rays sign Gabe Kapler to a $1m contract...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2008&fext=.jsp

I think I like the addition... I'd rather have Baldelli, but he ended up with (up to) $2.25m on the Red Sox, and the Rays apparently couldn't afford that. Kapler is certainly a good pickup, though.

Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Kapler for that amount isn't a bad deal at all, especially if he resembles his last year numbers.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

SlowwHand
    Country
    This is SlowwHand's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Damn Rangers are already 20 games back.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Btw, this was linked on another forum, originally done by Jay Jaffe from Baseball Prospectus. 1st column is Player A. 2nd column is Player B.

Avg.: .338/.294
    OBP: .388/.385
    SLG: .459/.425
    EQA: .307/.307
    HR: 135/170
    SB: 319/838
    TOB: 3,955/3,977
    TB: 4,259/3,771
    R: 1,383/1,517
    RBI: 1,138/980

They seem very similar right? Player A's almost 500 edge in Total Bases appears to be made up by Player B's 500+ edge in Stolen Bases.

Player A is Tony Gwynn, who recieved 97.6% of the vote to get into the Hall of Fame.
    Player B is Tim Raines.

Ming
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Do the same comparison for Rice and Raines
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Baron O

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Ok, Player A is Rice, Player B is Raines

Avg.: .298/.294
    OBP: .352/.385
    SLG: .502/.425
    EQA: .298/.307
    HR: 382/170
    SB: 58/838
    TOB: 3,186/3,977
    TB: 4,129/3,771
    R: 1,249/1,517
    RBI: 1,451/980

Rice has 212 more HRs, 358 more Total Bases, and 471 more RBIs - Raines has 780 more SBs, 791 more Times on Base, 268 more Runs, and a .009 advantage in EqA.

I think Raines wins fairly easily here (and that ain't even factoring in his excellent defense). And, of course, if Rice is in, hard to deny Raines now.

Arrian
    Country
    This is Arrian's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Henderson was a no-doubter (though somehow a bunch of guys left him off). Rice had acquired an aura of inevitability, so I just can't get too worked up over it. Yeah, he's overrated. So be it. Blyleven gets me more animated. He's obviously a HOFer, and they just keep missing it.

Damn Rangers are already 20 games back
    Sorry, Sloww. In addition, Young is *****ing & moaning b/c they want to move him off SS. This is what happens when you (or others) tell a guy he's great in the field and he's... well... not (see: Jeter, Derek).

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Appears Derek Lowe is leaning towards the Braves offer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3829521

4 years for $60 million.

While I wanted the Mets to sign Lowe, I'm glad they didn't play Boras' game. After all, a 4 year deal for a 35 year old pitcher? Sure pitchers are pitching into their 40s, but not every one can pull that off.

Arrian
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Agreed. Although... what's the Mets rotation right now? Lowe isn't a terrible bet as 36 year old pitchers go (especially as he's staying in the NL). Trouble is that "as 36 yr old pitchers go" part. They generally don't go terribly well.

So Lowe gets $15MM/yr. Interesting to see if this results in the Yanks agreeing to pay Pettitte more than the $10MM they offered him.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Right now:

Santana
    Maine
    Pelfrey
    Niese (Rookie)
    Redding

Though the Mets seem like they are extending offers to Oliver Perez and Randy Wolf. They may also be looking at Ben Sheets (his price may be really low now that it seems no one is biting and he'd be a great medium risk, high reward signing if they could get him for under $10 mil a year)

Ming
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    If Lowe can get 60 for four years, Sheets isn't going to settle for 10 a year.
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Baron O

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Sheets isn't represented by Boras . Also, unlike Lowe, he hasn't had many people bite at him. He's seen (somewhat correctly) as a large injury risk. If you don't have a lot of competition, you can't drive the price up.

Sheets is getting looks from, AFAIK, Texas. And you've barely heard anything about him during the Hot Stove League.

Basically you offer him $10 mil (or less) and add incentives to drive it up.

Ming
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    He made 10 mil last year, and would have made far more if he had accepted the arbitration deal from Milw.
    I don't think there is any way he will sign a 10 mil offer, even with incentives. Granted, he doesn't have the slime bucket Boras as an agent, but if somebody is willing to sign a 36 year old pitcher to a 4 year 60 mil deal, I'm sure somebody will risk far more than 10 mil a year to get somebody who pitched in the all star game last year
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Baron O

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    As had been said by many, the vast majority of players were fools this offseason for not accepting arbitration.

And of course they are all talking about Sheets being available for a bargain price. After all, aside from Texas, there has been no noise on him.

Hell, I read at MLBtraderumors.com that Milwaukee found Lowe to be too expensive, but they were considering a run at re-signing Sheets now.

In this market, when you can get Burrell for $8 mil per year and Bradley at $10 mil per year, Sheets may have to take far less than he thought.

Ming
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    More minor off season news...
    SAN DIEGO (AP) — Right-hander Mark Prior, who has missed more than two full seasons because of shoulder problems, and infielder Chris Burke agreed to minor league contracts with the San Diego Padres on Tuesday and were invited to spring training.
    Prior signed with the Padres as a free agent prior to the 2008 season but missed the entire year after undergoing surgery on his right shoulder on June 4, the latest medical setback to a once-promising career.

Prior also missed the 2007 season after undergoing surgery on the same shoulder that April.

He last pitched in the big leagues on Aug. 10, 2006, with the Chicago Cubs. He was 1-6 with a 7.21 ERA that season.

Padres general manager Kevin Towers said Prior threw off a mound on Friday for the first time since surgery, and the report from team trainer Todd Hutcheson was good.

"The last surgery benefited him a great deal," Towers said. "It looks like his mechanics are back in line again and he has good carries on his throws when he's doing long tosses.

"He's had quite a few surgeries, and we're hoping this one certainly fixed any issues he had," Towers said. "I hate to put any timelines on it, but we hope he's pitching competitively at the start of the season. If it's not in the big leagues, then maybe a few starts in the minor leagues."

Prior will make $1 million if he's on the big league roster. His salary is not guaranteed.

Prior was once thought to be the Cubs' ace of the future. In 2003, he finished third in the NL Cy Young Award voting, was 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and struck out 245 in 211 ⅓ innings.

That October, he was on the mound for Game 6 of the NL championship series against Florida with the Cubs leading the series 3-2. Chicago led by three runs in the eighth inning before the Marlins, perhaps helped by fan Steve Bartman's play on a foul ball at Wrigley Field, rallied to win. Florida won Game 7, then went on to win the World Series.

Prior has won just 18 games since then.

He grew up in San Diego and was the second pick overall in the 2001 amateur draft.

Burke was with the NL West rival Arizona Diamondbacks last year, playing all four infield spots and both corner outfield positions. He batted .194 with two home runs and 12 RBI in 86 games. Burke was acquired by the Diamondbacks prior to the 2008 season from the Houston Astros.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    And in the WTF category...

ANAHEIM (AP) — The city of Anaheim is dropping its legal challenges to the name of the Angels.
    Mayor Curt Pringle says the City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to give up its battle to restore the team's name to the Anaheim Angels.

The city had argued that team owner Arte Moreno violated the city-owned stadium lease agreement when he changed the name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2005.

A California appeals court ruled against the city last month, and an Orange County Superior court jury sided with the team in 2006.

Pringle says city leaders believe the wrong court decision was made twice, but says "it's in everybody's best interest to take no further action."
    Morons for evening bringing this to court in the first case...

And finally, in the totally silly category...

'Baracklyn' Cyclones host Obama bobblehead night

Yahoo! Buzz Digg Newsvine Reddit FacebookWhat's this?NEW YORK (AP) — Change you can believe in: A minor league team is swapping its name in tribute to Barack Obama.
    The Brooklyn Cyclones will change their name to the "Baracklyn Cyclones" for June 23 and give away Barack Obama bobbleheads to the first 2,500 fans in honor of the new president.

Special red-white-and-blue jerseys will be worn by players and auctioned during the game, with proceeds going to the Jackie Robinson Foundation. The team, a Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, will have an "Economic Stimulus Package" from Jan. 20 — Inauguration Day — until Jan. 23, selling tickets at $5-$10, matching the levels of its inaugural season in 2001. Regular prices are $8-15.

In addition, the first 1,000 fans get free Band-Aids as part of "Universal Health Care," all fans named Barack get in for free, fans named McCain or Palin get free bleacher seats ("a bipartisan consolation prize") and any plumber named Joe gets two free tickets.

"One for himself, and one to 'spread the wealth' with a friend," the Cyclones said,

Fans will receive American flags when they leave, what the Cyclones called "a clear-cut exit strategy." The Cyclones are reserving four seats behind the plate for the first family, in case it can attend.

"Steve Cohen, our GM there, came up with it, and Dave Howard worked with him on it," Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon said Tuesday, referring to the Mets' executive vice president for business operations. "They ran it by me. I said if you think this is going to be good for ticket sales and you like it, let's go. It created a little bit of excitement."

The Mets aren't worried of running out of the bobbleheads.

"We could make it Baracklyn week," Wilpon said. "We'll keep ordering bobbleheads if the people if the people come coming."

Cohen said he was struck by the similarity between "Barack" and "Brooklyn."

"The president-elect's message is one of change," Cohen said. "In an effort to pay homage to that idea, we're changing our prices, our policies, and the name of our team — for one day, at least."
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Baron O

rah
    Country
    This is rah's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I predict that sheets will get 40mil for 3 years. It won't happen for at least a month.

How about a few other definative predictions?
    Predict how much, how long, and when.
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

Arrian
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Seriously? $40MM guaranteed? 3 years? Seriously?

I very much doubt it. Someone will take a chance on him, but not that big a chance.

I could see someone giving him a contract similar to Smoltz. But he's younger, so...

1 year of $5MM guaranteed plus more if he meets IP benchmarks (if all goes well, total of $10MM), with a team option for a second year at $12MM. That's a total guess...

-Arrian

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Breaking news!!

Bonds May Not Be Guilty After All

Wow!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Taking the Clear – the star drug of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative – was not a crime, according to expert testimony included in grand jury documents.

Not only was the performance-enhancing drug tetrahydrogestrinone (THG) not specifically banned when athletes squirted “The Clear” under their tongues to gain an edge, the testimony also indicates that the drug wasn’t categorized by the Justice Department as a steroid until January 2005, long after the drug laboratory had been shuttered.

Yahoo! Sports has examined sealed grand jury testimony given by drug-testing expert Dr. Donald Catlin in 2003 and BALCO lead investigator Jeff Novitzky in 2004. Both men testified that THG was not a steroid according to the federal criminal code. Furthermore, Novitzky testified that “there’s never been any studies to show whether or not THG does, in fact, enhance muscle growth.”

More than two months after Bonds testified, the government dropped clues that it was aware that the Clear was legal – and not a steroid. Buried in the February 2004 BALCO indictment of Conte, the government charged that the Clear or THG lacked directions in its labeling and was a “‘designer steroid’ or ‘steroid-like derivative,’ which would provide ‘steroid-like’ effects without causing the athlete to test positive for steroids.”

“And that’s the problem that we’ve run into with THG and which Dr. Catlin testified to the grand jury, is that there’s never been any studies to show whether or not THG does, in fact, enhance muscle growth.

If Novitzky’s understanding of the law is correct, the fact that no studies had been done on the substance meant that possessing or taking THG was not a crime. However, the FDA announced Oct. 28, 2003, that THG was “an unapproved new drug” and could not be “legally marketed without FDA approval.”

Major news organizations announced that the FDA had ruled THG an illegal steroid. But all the FDA had done was to rule that THG was not a dietary supplement and therefore could not be legally marketed without FDA approval.
    “I don’t understand why the government would seek an indictment after obtaining Catlin’s expert testimony that the Clear was not a steroid,” Cannon said. “Why come up with an indictment based on an ambiguous definition?”
    Again, just wow.

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I predict that sheets will get 40mil for 3 years. It won't happen for at least a month.

How about a few other definative predictions?
    Predict how much, how long, and when.
    1 year, $5m guaranteed
    $5m in incentives
    Team option for 2nd and 3rd year at $15M and $20M respectively.

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Btw, Kerry Wood is a class act:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_mlb

CHICAGO -- Kerry Wood said thank you to Cubs fans and bid farewell on Sunday in full page advertisements in two Chicago newspapers.
    --

In Sheets news, the Mets seem to be looking at him now if they can't get Oliver Perez:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_mlb

If Perez and the Mets come to terms, of course, all of this is moot. Yet if a three-year, $30 million contract reportedly isn't enough to bring back Perez, a client of agent Scott Boras, then the Mets will apparently be ready to explore their other possibilities.
    Seems to indicate that 3 years at $30mil is what they are prepared to offer at most, including to Sheets.

Arrian
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    And that strikes me as too much for sheets (too much guaranteed money, anyway).

-Arrian

Supr49er
    Country
    This is Supr49er's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    14:35
    I'm still surprised that Manny Ramirez isn't signed by anyone yet.
    Maybe there is finally a backlash against Scott Boras.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I believe Boras is sticking to his prior used strategy of waiting it out. He's at least going to get $20 million. They are going to see if he can get $25 mil.

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Oh, also, Jeff Kent is retiring today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3849334

And it looks like his next stop with be in the Hall of Fame. Probably the greatest hitting 2B since Joe Morgan hung 'em up.

Supr49er
    Country
    This is Supr49er's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    14:35
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    I believe Boras is sticking to his prior used strategy of waiting it out. He's at least going to get $20 million. They are going to see if he can get $25 mil.
    I bet they won't get the six year deal they originally wanted though.
    Didn't the Dodgers offer 2 years at $25M per?
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Imran Siddiqui
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Supr49er View Post
    I bet they won't get the six year deal they originally wanted though.
    Didn't the Dodgers offer 2 years at $25M per?
    Dodgers offered 2 years at $22 mil per, IIRC.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast