The future of PC gaming - 2009 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
    If you'd admitted your comment was an overstatement more quickly we could have ended this much sooner. Perhaps you'll know better next time.
    It wasn't an overstatement. It is true, in general terms.

The fact that both you and snoopy know nothing about the industry doesn't make this less true.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I noticed Mirror's Edge is just coming out on PC ... worth getting? I like Thief but not FPS generally.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Worth trying, not buying. It has nothing to do with Thief, AFAIK.
        Last edited by Nostromo; January 15, 2009, 08:53.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I'm not getting it. The reviews consistently say it has some nice ideas but the game is pretty bad. Perhaps bodes well for the sequel though.

Comment

It's one of those fancy console games isn't it? you know all graphics not much else?

Comment

Best selling PC games of 2008

Per NPD (so in the US, and limited coverage of online distribution)

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                They don't want to, the publisher does.

Since the Wii uses graphics APIs used nowhere else, or even close -- not to mention an extremely unusual graphics chip, it's a bit exotic compared to what developers have used in the past. It's a lot of new things to learn, even if the technology itself is fairly old, it's not a technology people are familiar with.
                So there are old guys who are gamecube devs who could do this easily, but not enough of them?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  They don't want to, the publisher does.

So have you at least reexamined your view of the labor economics impact of the Wii? At one time you seemed to have thought that casual games for the Wii were draining programmers who would otherwise be making enthusiast games on the HD consoles, while I suggested they would hire away programmers from other industries. You seem to have been drawn to Wii programming (by your employer) from doing systems work for the financial industry, ISTR.

Comment

note wrt to the NPD PC games list - one has to suspect its seriously biased against recent games aimed at enthusiast gamers - as those are probably the most likely to buy through Steam and other online direct download services. Someone at Qto3 pointed that out.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark View Post
                      So have you at least reexamined your view of the labor economics impact of the Wii? At one time you seemed to have thought that casual games for the Wii were draining programmers who would otherwise be making enthusiast games on the HD consoles, while I suggested they would hire away programmers from other industries. You seem to have been drawn to Wii programming (by your employer) from doing systems work for the financial industry, ISTR.
                      I wouldn't expect a swift response as Asher has 'left forever'.

Comment

What?
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Probably good for his blood pressure. He seemed to be going overboard(even by his standards) in his bile this last month or so. Calling a time out is probably a smart move, i'd hate to be so riled and full of anger like he seemed much of the time. enjoy your 'chill time' Asher

Comment

NPD PC Game sales down 145 in 2008 from 2007

Note, this is NPD numbers. So it is US only, and excludes online services like Steam, and Amazon as well, IIUC. And of course no subscription revenues.

Edit:thats 14%. Will 'poly no longer let me edit a post title?

Comment

@ lotM I've also noticed i cant preview a post anymore before posting, might be one of my browser add-ons, but on the last forum(the old one) it worked ok.

re The future of PC gaming, i've been reading a few bits and pieces about various publishers teaming up with established on-line delivery systems. Last week(or the week before) it was EA and Steam, now i just read about Sega and Gamersgate:

Explore the latest news and expert commentary on Game Platforms, brought to you by the editors of Game Developer

Now it(on-line delivery of PC games) has been talked about for a good few years as being the future for PC gaming, and it probably is - even if it still currently represents a fairly small piece of the pie in overall sales(I've come across figures ranging between 14%(from Stardock re sales of 'Sins of a solar Empire') and around 20% - that is for a game that is available through the normal high street channels and on-line.

Anyway I'm not a huge fan of systems that require i keep a constant connection while playing(like steam i believe), or ones that include the normal nasty DRM stuff.

I was a bit sad after reading the Sega+Gamersgate news and then checking out Gamersgate's FAQ to find that unlike Impulse/Stardock they do include the nasty DRM if the publisher wants it.

So damn it looks like i'll never get to play another Total War or Football Manager, as the nasty DRM is what stopped me doing my yearly purchase of these titles(From the first expansion for MTW2 onwards and from FM 2009 onwards - unless Sega drops the nasty DRM in future). These were two of a very small group of PC games i would buy all the time(alongside Civ). Ah well.

Still it is interesting to see the big publishers go to join up with one of the on-line distro guys, and see who goes where. It can tell you a lot about the physcology of that company(presuming they do their research before making a choice - and it's not just another drink/drug ladden decision made at some office party/company outing!).

Comment

Are you sure they use any dangerous (for the computer) DRM? This part of the FAQ seems to suggest that the only DRM used is activation limits, and that those are not really in effect:

Do you use SecuRom or any other protection on the games?
                                Yes, some games got some kind of protection. That is on request from developers and publishers. However, the activation limit that may be on this protection is easy reset by an email to support@gamersgate.com. ANY GAME BOUGHT ON GG IS YOURS TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL AS MANY TIMES YOU LIKE!
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X