Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    18:06

Technology can't solve all our problems

Which genius said that?

I mean how can we know until we try.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; September 18, 2008 at 01:40.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BeBro
    Country
    This is BeBro's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Technology is evil, since man uses it only to become god-like.

Otoh, I'd rather agree with the threadititle.
    Banana

Heraclitus
    Country
    This is Heraclitus's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    The problem of abortion is a good example.

Once you have artificial wombs, there is no need for abortion, the cell cluster/fetus/baby is merely transplanted to an artificial uterus when its time for its "birth" its given up for adoption. The state would even have an economic incentive to support such "discarded babies" since most western nations have sub replacement fertility which will cause big problems.

What about babies with severe genetic defects? Should they be aborted? No reason to, just flood their system with GE retroviruses and they become productive members of society.

Every problem can be solved with technology.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; September 17, 2008 at 06:06.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by BeBro
    Technology is evil, since man uses it only to become god-like.
    And why not? The guy who's supposed to be doing the job seems rather absent the last few centuries or if he isn't is pretty incompetent at the very least.

BeBro
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Heraclitus
    The problem of abortion is a good example.

Once you have artificial wombs, there is no need for abortion, the cell cluster/fetus/baby is merely transplanted to a artificial uterus when its time for its "birth" its given up for adoption. The state would even have an economic incentive to support such "discarded babies" since most western nations have sub replacement fertility which will cause big problems.
    I bet this deeply offends some religious feelings so you just created another problem

And why not?
    It's impossible to prove a negative, but I'm just sceptic that at some point we're all just 100% happy beings without any conflicts or problems, since technology solved all. At least not as long we're still humans like today, but maybe when we move on to startrek-like sexless-energyball-floating-through-time-and-space level of our existance.
    Banana

Dry
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Which genious said that?

I mean how can we know until we try.
    Tell me how will technology solves psychological traumas?
    How can it solve broken hearts?
    Loss of a beloved?

According to me, knowledge, not technology, should be able to solve most of our problems.
    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

BeBro
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

And why not?
    Also, one could see problems and conflicts in some way as positive, since they drive the further search for knowledge and solutions to deal with them. If anything is perfect, there's no need to do that....
    Banana

OneFootInTheGrave
    Country
    This is OneFootInTheGrave's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    I robot...

once you kill yourself (or die some other way) you will be technologically as advanced as the robot

it indeed solves everything... dinosaur tech.

other than that... what would life be without problems... if we don't have them we make them = teh human
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

BeBro
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    I personally think technology ruled over man since teh beginning. Think about that:

Man invented tech. Man constantly tries to improve tech. Man invests lots and lots of his hard earned money into this (instead of into beer and sex). What more prove do we need that we're slaves of tech, having one purpose only, which is to act as catalysts in the evolution of technology??? Once it's done they put us in teh matrix
    Banana

OneFootInTheGrave
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    we are f**** stupid... but we knew that already
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Re: Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Originally posted by Dry

Option one
    Nanotech
    Some form of neurosurgery
    perhaps special MMI circuitry to enhance the persons ability to deal with it

Option two:
    Memory wipe

Originally posted by Dry
    Loss of a beloved?
    Option one:
    Personality downloads and cloning that allow indefinite lifespans meaning no one has to die if they don't want to

Option two:
    Memory wipe

OneFootInTheGrave
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    memory wipe always

teh robot = teh dead

long live technological revolution

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Also, one could see problems and conflicts in some way as positive, since they drive the further search for knowledge and solutions to deal with them. If anything is perfect, there's no need to do that....

I said technology can solve all our problems. I never said the number of our problems is finite.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; September 17, 2008 at 07:47.

Dry
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Re: Re: Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Option two:
    Memory wipe
    Equals avoiding, bypassing the problem, not solving it.

BTW: Isn't the forgetting the persons existence, not a second death?
    Should we wipe our memory from all victims of wars, genocides,... ?

Option one:
    Personality downloads and cloning that allow indefinite lifespans meaning no one has to die if they don't want to
    Ohohooo, immortality...
    Should we deviate from the topic and debate on immortality and its implications?
    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

I bet this deeply offends some religious feelings so you just created another problem
    I don't think it did.

Are there people in the world who protest at these:

See how far we've made it since the 1930's? Think about it they are only going to get better and better.

First premature born babies in the third trimester (which we already do on a regular basis), then babies born in the second trimester.

We also already implant cluster of cells into women, maybe a woman is a few days or weeks pregnant and who doesn't want a baby now but knows she will want one in a few years. She can have the embryo frozen then have it implanted years later, or have someone "adopt" the embryo.

So you see the technology will develop from baby down and from cell up until the line between fetus and baby will be arbitrary and the entire gestation can be achieved in the laboratory.

No one will have a problem with this, since they won't see it as "OMG Artificial womb work of the devil!" but will see it as the progress of medical technology in its ability to save tiny lives. Religious people use the advances of medical technology as a strong reason against abortion already. I can't see them being anything short of ecstatic about technology making their crazy rantings saner.

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Re: Re: Re: Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Originally posted by Dry

Ohohooo, immortality...
    Should we deviate from the topic and debate on immortality and its implications?
    life extension =/= immortality

It would still be very possible for you to die, just extremely unlikely (if for example the database you are stored at is corrupted beyond repair or if the Sun goes nova).

And yes we can divert if you would like to.

I think the no. 1 cause of death would be suicide, not suicide of today (which is almost always a most unplesant act and done in a unhappy state) but more along the lines of people feeling they have fulfilled their purpose in life or people who want to see the afterlive (if religion still exists).

Also such a society would be much wiser and responsible. All human endeavor is shortsighted and is only undertaken if it is produces some benefit in our own lifetime. With unlimited lifetimes we would all become more responsible, since any mess we make won't be our kid's or grandchildren problem but our own problem.

Sure people will still make stupid individual decisions, but as a community the tone of political debate will change for the better considerably.

Your very survival would become tied to the survival of humanity or at least human civilization. Your future prosperity would be chained to the prosperity of all.

In fact once we have indefinite life span or at least very long life spans (500 to a few K years) capitalism may be replaced by something better.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; September 17, 2008 at 07:42.

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Dry

Equals avoiding, bypassing the problem, not solving it.
    It does for the case of death of loved ones

But are you honestly telling me that after the abouser is caught and punished that it isn't better for you not remember the sexual abused you suffered as a child? (you would still know it happened unless you choose to wipe that too)

If you think not, then maybe the emotional management enhancement circuitry I proposed is the solution.

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave

other than that... what would life be without problems... if we don't have them we make them = teh human
    And we solve them again only to replace them with others... isn't that the fun of being alive?

I do not have to worry about starving, now I can worry about more and more abstract things until I start worrying about the long term implication of entropy and how to solve that.... and one day I solve the final question and perhaps make a new universe, that is better than ours but has new problems ect.

And the more we progress along these lines the less of a chore solving problems becomes and the more they become fun exercises of creativity.

OneFootInTheGrave
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    maybe God is really like us

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Indeed. Wouldn't it be funny if my rational opinion about technology and faith in progress would lead me to believe that Jesus is our savior and was a sent to our civ by the creator of the universe who realized he screwed up a bit with his last model of tiny universe that solves the problem of entropy (tm) and needs to patch it, only to clearly see a milenia later that he introduced new bugs and decides he will stop send new patches every few centuries and stop talking with the users so he can focus on developing the final build.

Also does that mean that we should start working on a unofficial patch in case he stops supporting this universe?

Whoha
    The TOC is supposed to be classified guys...
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    12:06

Originally posted by Dry

Loss of a beloved?
    By Sciencing the hell out of those problems, thats how.

Dry
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Re: Re: Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Originally posted by Whoha

By Sciencing the hell out of those problems, thats how.
    That is closer to what I call knowledge, not technology.
    Psychology is knowledge, almost (maybe one day full) science, but not technology.

Aeson
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 1, 2014
    Local Time
    01:06
    Robots replace us all: all human problems solved
    "tout comprendre, c'est tout pardonner"
    Check Out - Civilization: Beyond Earth Wiki | CivBE Virtue Planner

Zkribbler
    Country
    This is Zkribbler's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    10:06

Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Which genious said that?
    I'm infamous for my bad spelling, but DAMN!

Kirnwaffen
    Country
    This is Kirnwaffen's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    11:06
    To qoute Ron White, "You can't fix stupid".
    "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Zkribbler
    Country
    This is Zkribbler's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    10:06
    Maybe not....but I can perfect it!

Riesstiu IV
    Country
    This is Riesstiu IV's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    12:06
    All technology should be focused on creating better ways to download porn as fast as possible.

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I'm infamous for my bad spelling, but DAMN!
    That's how we spell it in Slovenia.

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
    To qoute Ron White, "You can't fix stupid".
    Options:

Genetic engineering
    Cybernetics
    Virtual Reality (just lock the stupid people into a simulation )

Heraclitus
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Dry

That is closer to what I call knowledge, not technology.
    Psychology is knowledge, almost (maybe one day full) science, but not technology.
    Science can solve all our problems.

That is more along the lines of what I meant. Since to get advanced technology you by default have to do science.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast