Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cold War is Back, can we Make Lemonade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369

Fantasy was anything where the Russians win, and Science Fiction was where the Russians lost
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by ramseya
      Democratic reforms in Czechoslovakia... The USSR sent 200K troops and 2000 tanks. (Nor was this an isolated incident as there was also the Hungarian Revolution of 1956)

Communist revolution in Cuba... USA sends two CIA agents and a thousand exiles.

yeah US is an evil empire
      We just suck at it...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

There is a tendency for people of the left-wing persuasion to often criticize American foreign policy. From the perspective that we should be a shining example to the world, yes our overt involvement in Vietnam, the Iran-Contra affair, the war on drugs, Iraq, etc. and our covert involvement throughout Latin America, does tamper our reputation...

But it should not be forgotten that if we don't do it, nothing is to stop China and Russia from manipulating the whole world. And at least when we do it, we have good intentions and at the very least, a facade of righteousness and sympathy (even if it may be reminiscent to some of the White Man's Burden). Russia will never even give you that benefit.

Comment

Fantasy was anything where the Russians win, and Science Fiction was where the Russians lost
          I'd say Science Fiction is where the Americans, either by themselves or as leaders of the earth, defeat the aliens.

As for your fantasy scenario, I can't think of one movie where the Russians win. The closest I can think of is Red Dawn (to quote Powers Boothe - "We held them at the Rockies") or the nuke movies where both sides get destroyed or at least take a big hit (The Day After, Fail Safe, On the Beach etc). But I can't think of one movie where the Ruskies win.

It's a good thing Americans make most of the movies.

Comment

There is a tendency for people of the left-wing persuasion to often criticize American foreign policy. From the perspective that we should be a shining example to the world, yes our overt involvement in Vietnam, the Iran-Contra affair, the war on drugs, Iraq, etc. and our covert involvement throughout Latin America, does tamper our reputation...

But it should not be forgotten that if we don't do it, nothing is to stop China and Russia from manipulating the whole world. And at least when we do it, we have good intentions and at the very least, a facade of righteousness and sympathy (even if it may be reminiscent to some of the White Man's Burden). Russia will never even give you that benefit.
            It is a fundamental responsibility of the American political system, for people to criticize the government's policy. In fact, it is the only reason why our political system works. If people didn't criticize the government (and thus affect some change in policy), we would just be ... the soviet union.

(By the way, it's 'tarnish', not 'tamper'...)

Comment

Snoopy:

that is fine... I just think that a lot of people who do the criticizing forget that. I hope that for all their complaints and protests that they know, in the back of their minds, that the USA messing around in a country is generally better than the Russian Federation or China messing around, especially for the citizens of the aforementioned country.

Comment

Um, they may well not feel that the USA messing around in a country is better. There's nothing wrong with holding that opinion... It's from back and forth between opposing viewpoints that the American ideal arises. If people believe staying out of other peoples' business is the right thing to do, they have the right to believe that, and to argue for it; and it's not such an unreasonable point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer

At the end of WWII the US could have conquered the world through threat of nuclear annihilation. As the only nation with nukes we could have owned all. Our fleets were greater than the rest of the world combined, we were supreme.
                  Sorry, but this is simply not true.

You could not have produced atomic weapons on a scale sufficient to take over the world fast enough before the other powers got nukes.

Even if they didn't the UK and USSR would have responded by using Chemical weapons vs. the US, not a pretty sight.

Assuming you would have tried to take over the world militarily, you would never have had the manpower. Best navy in the world or not, Eurasia + Africa can only be conquered by land.

And even if you could do this in just a few years, before other nations got nukes, your empire would collapse in a few decades.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

yeah US is an evil empire
                    Hey don't be sulky just because you're not as good at it as the USSR.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude

I'd say Science Fiction is where the Americans, either by themselves or as leaders of the earth, defeat the aliens.

As for your fantasy scenario, I can't think of one movie where the Russians win. The closest I can think of is Red Dawn (to quote Powers Boothe - "We held them at the Rockies") or the nuke movies where both sides get destroyed or at least take a big hit (The Day After, Fail Safe, On the Beach etc). But I can't think of one movie where the Ruskies win.

It's a good thing Americans make most of the movies.
                      Alexander Nevsky But seriously, why would the Russians win in American Cold War era movies?
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        and now invading a democracy and stealing everything they can get their hands on while lieing on the way in and now lieing about leaving. Nice.

And destroying a democracy and bringing fascists to power is better how?

Comment

The USA is a young power, as you grow older you will become more and more similar to Russia and China. You where idealistic in the past, but modern day US policy is firmly in realpolitik at its best, and neocon wet dreams at worst. And it will only get worse as your nation ages. Power corrupts.

Comment

that is fine... I just think that a lot of people who do the criticizing forget that. I hope that for all their complaints and protests that they know, in the back of their minds, that the USA messing around in a country is generally better than the Russian Federation or China messing around, especially for the citizens of the aforementioned country.
                            Duh?

I mean we aren't stupid you know, just compare Tibet to Iraq and we can see the difference.

It's just that we expect more from a "democracy" than you are doing. If the US was a police state and had the foreign policy & record it has I would consider it a very benign imperialist power.

Comment

If people believe staying out of other peoples' business is the right thing to do, they have the right to believe that, and to argue for it; and it's not such an unreasonable point of view.
                              In general this is my point of view.

But I am biased in the matter since the bigger European nations haven't stayed out of our business for the past 1500 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                                And destroying a democracy and bringing fascists to power is better how?
                                The only reason Allende didn't murder thousands of his own people is because Pinochet beat him to the punch. Otherwise Chile would have gone the way of Cuba.
                                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X