I think it'd be pretty neat if someone did a spaced base version of Colonization. The game would begin by you selecting the type of solar system you wish to colonize (i.e. game setup menu options):
1) Solar system size: the larger the solar system, the more resources that would be available to you (but at the same time this would mean more territory to defend)
2) Number of wormholes providing access to your solar system: more wormholes means more trade, but also more access for pirates and marauding aliens to pillage your improvements.
Once the game set-up is complete the game begins by dumping your colonization ships out of a wormhole into your newly franchised solar system, and you begin the process of exploring your new solar system:
1) Colonize habitable planets.
2) Establish mining facilities throughout the solar system to gain access to resources which you can then trade with your motherland (at an exorbitant trade rate which favors the motherland).
3) Explore ancient ruins for relics which can then be sold on the open market (which the motherland can then tax) or sell on the black market for greater profit (if you can get the relics by the motherland inspectors).
4) Sooner or later you would need to declare independence and fight off the motherland’s armada and shock troops.