No invitation for you too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No invitation for you too.

Now we've gone too far. Giving out participation trophy's or schools without grades.

Swedish school seizes boy's birthday invitations
    Updated Sun. Jun. 29 2008 4:07 PM ET

The Associated Press

STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Officials at a school in Sweden have confiscated birthday invitations handed out in class by an eight-year-old boy.

The reason: they see it as a matter of discrimination.

A Swedish newspaper says the school in Lund, southern Sweden, seized the invitations because the boy failed to invited two boys because they were not his friends.

The newspaper Sydsvenskan quotes officials as saying they had a duty to prevent discrimination.

The newspaper did not identify the boy or his family, but says his father has filed a complaint with the parliamentary ombudsman.

The father told the newspaper that the two classmates were not invited because one had bullied his son and the other had not invited him to his birthday.
    So how silly do you think this is. If you want to pass out invitations at school you must invite everyone.

You can't discriminate against bullies and people that don't like you.

I think we've gone a bit too far.

What next. If you want to give out valentines at school you're also going to have to give one to the gay guy so you're not discriminating against anyone.

Sometimes being excluded is part of life. Where better to learn something than school. Now granted kids can sometime be overly cruel in this area but nothing makes a lesson stick like a little cruelty.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

wtfSweden?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Even though this is Sweden, it wouldn't shock me to hear that this also happened in a US school.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You mean either. "No invitation for you either."
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Wow, now not only do those two kids feel like losers for not getting invited, but now they feel like even bigger losers because people across the world are talking about what losers they are.

Best backfire ever. Sweden
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Jiminey. I thought "What are they going to do, take away my birthday?" was just an old saying.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is hardly much of a news story. At least not to people who are familiar with the traditional harassment of Swedish citizens by public officials who know so much better.

The Swedes generally seem to love it, though. They're not trying to change anything about it.

Comment

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  You mean either. "No invitation for you either."
                  No it was an attempt at being clever.

Instead of using the word two for the two excluded in the invitation, I was trying to twist it to personalize it using too instead of two.
                  I guess it's not TOO clever if I have to explain it or some ENGLISH NAZI comes along and takes issue with it.

Get the room at the resting home ready, I'll be there soon.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How did this come to the attention of School officials?

Comment

The kid needs to realize he just has to give invitations with the wrong date/address on them for his "not-friends".

Comment

How did this come to the attention of School officials?
                        The teacher noticed that he was handing the invitations out and that two of the kids didn't get one so she confiscated them all. But more importantly SHE didn't get one, which is what I suspect really set off all the hubub.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

So this means that when ever you hold a party, it HAS to be an open house?

Wtf?!

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Gee, times have changed.
                            In the old days, not only was it proper to not invite everyone, it was also quite acceptable to make sure the person felt humiliated for not being invited. It built character. (and rooftop snipers)

Another example of the wussification of the next generation.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I wasn't invited; I feel discriminated!

Who do I sue?
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X