Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both windows must remain active. Just minimize them and get used to them being in your process bar for the next 6 months to a year.

The DOS window is the actual pittboss process. The only use i have found for it (besides running the game) is that when the game crashes sometimes the last command line gives insight as to why.

The other window (with MOTD) is more of the managers window. To have a MOTD you have to click on "change motd" button then write it in the new window. Also, make sure "display motd" box is checked. The major usefulness of this window (besides motd) is saving the game locally when gamespy crashes. If GS crashes, hit the save game button in this window, then when you reboot pittboss you can start with this save.

You have the same questions I had when first starting "The New World". Keeping your comp up 24/7 is also something that takes learning. I must have crashed about 5 games in the begining due to either my wife or myself shutting the thing off out of habit. That really sucks because then you can't save it locally and alot of ppl get mad because they have to replay their turn.

Comment

Love the backstory btw.

Wish i would have come up with one for my game... sort of sets the stage.

Comment

Geez Beta, you can't even keep it up for one turn...

Comment

Kudos to Beta just the same! It's all a part of the learning curve after all - I don't think that I would have done as well as Beta has in setting-up this game.

Oh, and turn replayed, no harm done.

Comment

Originally posted by pinchak
            Love the backstory btw.

Wish i would have come up with one for my game... sort of sets the stage.
            Thanks pinchak! I really enjoy that sort of stuff.

Originally posted by Rhothaerill Geez Beta, you can't even keep it up for one turn...
            But I didn't tell you the real reason the computer became unplugged. It is under the kitchen table....

Originally posted by WittlichKudos to Beta just the same!
            Thanks Witt! Sooner or later we wil all have to host one.
            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

And thanks for the info, pinchak. That helps explain what my next steps are.

You have also explained what one needs to do when GS goes down.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamer(fin)

Persia will rule the earth!
                Dressed in girly-man clothes???!!! I think NOT.

Comment

Under the kitchen table? How ghetto.

Speaking of things that make me laugh... when I first saw the "Persia will rule the earth" pic I thought it was a picture of only 8 guys laying seige to something (didn't notice the blue background men). The guy giving orders in the background made it even funnier.

Oh, and i finally got a little badge to go under my name!!! I thought initially you had to "pay your dues"... you know... kiss of death and all.

Only thing is... they don't have one for the ultra old school civ multiplayer.

*still has freeciv on a 3.5 inch disk*
                  Last edited by Pinchak; January 26, 2007, 21:13.

Comment

Under the kitchen table? How ghetto.
                    Thank you!!!

Only thing is... they don't have one for the ultra old school civ multiplayer.

Yowzer! Might be worth something! Like two O'Henry bars.

Comment

Wahou ! Respect ! I only begun with civI, which I don't have anymore. But I remember with nostalgy the fierce square knight destroying the poor square warrior near the square city of Rom. That was definitively already a great game !

So... I did it ! I could log in a play my turn ! I had a small problem and I asked my friend google to help me. It directed me to... your first pitboss game Beta ! The (civ4-) world is small !

Is there any configuration to do from the player's side ?

Comment

Hmmm, after closer inspection it does look like there are Civ2 badges. They are more associated with pbem though as opposed to freeciv.

And yes, the first one was a whole lot of square fun! While the other kids were playing basketball or riding scooters i was perpetually locked in virtual world struggles with 8-bit empires.

Any of you guys play Wasteland? Now there was a game the proved that content trumps graphics.

Comment

Player side configuration: no, other than giving yourself a password.

Beta, make sure to use that 'save game' option. If the game is still running but the timer's stopped, then 'save game', and exit the game, and restart it. Gamespy will drop probably once a week or so, just glance at the game once in a while.

As long as you keep a MotD on, you can easily see who's logged in and who hasn't
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta

Dressed in girly-man clothes???!!! I think NOT.

Tell that to Mel Gibson in Braveheart and you would lose your head.
                            It is not my fault that your men get confused when they see colorful clothes and can't fight properly.

BTW The new turn is up!
                            Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Player side configuration: no, other than giving yourself a password.

Beta, make sure to use that 'save game' option. If the game is still running but the timer's stopped, then 'save game', and exit the game, and restart it. Gamespy will drop probably once a week or so, just glance at the game once in a while.

As long as you keep a MotD on, you can easily see who's logged in and who hasn't
                              Okey dokey. Will do. Thanks snoop.

Comment

Flamer - is that Santa Claus in the lower centre of your picture - watching the parade???

Comment

Working...
                                X