Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Allowed to Talk About Your Salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my situation it is forbidden. not only did some employees not really recieve raises in teh past (despite being with the co for years) there are other people (part of the company that subcontracts us) that do the same job (that we offer in other locations, specifically scanning documents, indexing them, etc etc) that make 10k more a year than us
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I am probably making the least out of all poly posters (except the unemployed ones ).

But I am happy with my job. That counts for something, right? right? I sure would like to get paid what I'm worth though.

Comment

I've held a number of jobs, mostly in labs, with a smattering of office jobs. I've typically been in the $35 K range.

I now work as an operator in a chemical plant (think blue collar, hard hat wearing grunt type). I'll make $42 K easy if I just do 40 hours a week, but with expected overtime I'll be surprised if I don't approach $70 K.

I've never made this much in my life, and I'm now living in one of the more affordable regions.

Life is good.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I cant, but if I do, nobody really cares. But it would be misplaced for a boss to tell how much he makes.

I never tell anyways, I dont like people knowing how much I make. I make way to much money for my age.

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
            I make ~20k

JM
            This may be rude, but can I ask what you do?
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I don't think it's expressly forbidden, but I think it would be frowned on. I just think it's got potential for discord. People can be so jealous.

Not that many would be terribly jealous of my salary (~$60k), but amongst my peers, it could be uncomfortable.

My wife makes a lot more

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

This may be rude, but can I ask what you do?
                He's a graduate physics student.

I make very slightly more (~21k)

My wife makes 3 times as much as me, though.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, that's the thing. I thought you two would make buckets of money; but, uh, I make more than you guys do, and I'm a college dropout (slowly going back) who fell into a technical writing job for which I don't have any qualifications.

Edit: So will you guys be making boatloads more than I do in... like... a few years?
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Nothng, as an undergrad. Just minimum wage stuff over the holidays.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Yeah, that's the thing. I thought you two would make buckets of money; but, uh, I make more than you guys do, and I'm a college dropout (slowly going back) who fell into a technical writing job for which I don't have any qualifications.

Edit: So will you guys be making boatloads more than I do in... like... a few years?
                      If I decide not to go into academia (it's a possibility) then my starting salary will be in the 100-150 k range.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                          In my situation it is forbidden. not only did some employees not really recieve raises in teh past (despite being with the co for years) there are other people (part of the company that subcontracts us) that do the same job (that we offer in other locations, specifically scanning documents, indexing them, etc etc) that make 10k more a year than us
                          Being forbidden clearly had little effect on the actual dissemination of such knowledge.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Otherwise?
                            For 4 years I'll be making 40-50 k, then after that 80+k
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Last year

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

maybe he doubts that someone could be financially successful AND post on poly (and not be a student)?
                              Technical sales of expensive products is mostly periods of intense work (and travel) interspersed with periods of inactivity.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Oerdin, well, you just need to compare it to others as well... your salary would be GOOD CEO salary in here. Seriously. And outside that, you can't score that high really, unless you work for yourself. So there..
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X