Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Allowed to Talk About Your Salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plus

Originally posted by pchang
    I'm older than Oerdin and we all know that incomes go up with age.
    ahh but will you reveal your age as readily as your salary ?
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      Why do people worry so much about how they stack up materially?

JM
      I don't know. But then again I have never been much for status things. I drive a 9 year old Honda Civic for instance

On salary, I care because I want to be treated fairly and in accordance with my view of my market value. But beyond that I don't care what others make.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Lets just say the

Lordy Lordy look who's 40
        jibes got annoying really fast.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          Why do people worry so much about how they stack up materially?

JM
          I guess that's why employers don't want employees to talk about their salaries.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

while it isnt against the laws to discuss ur salary it is discouraged here and in some places if ur over heard you can be discplined. Though what the big deal is i dont know.
            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

The last time I spoke of my salary was a new hire in 1978. I was making 4.25 an hour and when the other guys asked, I told them. They got all pissed off because they were making 4.125. Ultimately they all left. I went to school at night and stayed.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Ditto.

I did get a 10% raise in the last contract my union made with NYC, so that was nice. The final 4% instalment kicks in next month.
                It's always nice to get raises independent of your competence. Explains why you love your job.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It's always nice to get raises independent of your competence. Explains why you love your job.
                  I love it as well because every so often I have to meet charming folks like you in person, like when we have to go visit prisoners.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: Re: Last year

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    You must be counting in asset appriciation and not just salary. Right?
                    ... why?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Last year

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

... why?
                      maybe he doubts that someone could be financially successful AND post on poly (and not be a student)?

Comment

Re: plus

Originally posted by pchang
                        I'm older than Oerdin and we all know that incomes go up with age.
                        My brother is two years older than me, has less formal education than me, and makes about 50-75% more than me. Because the cook at his fraternity somehow had connections with Intel. But I'm not jealous, dammit.

But on the flipside, he can pretty much be fired on a whim, whereas it's damn near impossible to fire a civil servant.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

My work says you're not supposed to discuss wages. I'm sure some people do - I haven't.

In a previous dept I worked in there was a woman hired more recently than others of us at the time. I heard she blurted out what her paycheck was one time (as in, "that's all?"). I didn't hear what that was, but it was more than others who had worked there longer were earning. Since on top of this she was a complete moron, who spent a lot of time planning her wedding (and discussing such on the phone) rather than working, there was a lot of resentment.

I guess that's the reality of things, though. In order to get someone to join your business, you might have to offer more than what current employees make.
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                            I guess that's the reality of things, though. In order to get someone to join your business, you might have to offer more than what current employees make.
                            Very true. My wife has accepted a position at a university where she will be making probably on par or above 3rd-4th year profs, and quite a bit above some of the non-publishing dinosaurs. not pleasant if you're one making less, a bit embarrassing to be making more than your elders.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Last year

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

maybe he doubts that someone could be financially successful AND post on poly (and not be a student)?
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm just too embarrassed to say how much I make.

Comment

Working...
                                X