No announcement yet.

France vs. Germany - Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The British began working on building jet engines before the Germans did.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I don't know much about the Meteor's early history, but going over the wiki article, it seems like they started development on a turbojet engine in '36, but didn't start working on a fighter until '40. It also seems like they had difficulty getting financing up until the war was on the horizon, and as from '40 the jet fighter project was given priority, so on a rough glance, it seems like the war did indeed help jumpstart the development of jet propulsion.
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

He posted here recently, IIRC.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

One additional problem for germany pre war was, that the development for lots of technologies had to be kept hidden, due to the strict reglements from the treaty of versailles.

Dunno if the Jet Engine belonged to them, but I suspect yes ... one thing that definitely was kept hidden because of this was the development of unguided rocket artillery (which was disguised as development of a mortar to lay smoke screen (Nebelwerfer)).
          Guess the development of guided rockets (V1, V2) also wouldn´t have taken the rapid speed it did, of germany had tried to stay (at least officially) true to the Treaty of Versailles
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
          X