Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton: XXth century cinema thread

Hey,

I want to discover the cinema of the the XXth century, specially between 1920 to 1980! Can you send me some suggestion?

What I've seen to this day:
    ===========

The Kid - Chaplin
    Modern Times - Chaplin
    The Dictator - Chaplin
    Gold Rush - Chaplin

Metropolis - Fritz Lang
    Scarlet Street - Fritz Lang

Strangers in a train - Hitchcock

Badlands - Terrence Malick

2001 - Stanley Kubrick
    Dr. Strangelove - Stanley Kubrick

Apocalypse Now

One flew over the cuckoo's nest
    The shining
    The good, the bad and the ugly
    ============

Send me names of realisator, director, photo director, name of movie, etc...
    Last edited by CrONoS; August 14, 2006, 10:31.
    bleh

Now I'm thinking about:

Psycho from Hitchcock
    Days of Heaven of Terrence Mallick
    Woman in the Window - Fritz Lang
    bleh

Comment

Now hear this,

Chinatown, Roman Polanski, 1974.

That is all.

Comment

The French Connection by William Friedkin, 1971.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

You know, almost all cinema that has ever existed was in the twentieth century...

Comment

A few from each decade, heavily biased toward US cinema and distributed as best I could across genres:

1920s
            The General
            Sunrise
            Pandora's Box
            Battleship Potemkin

1930s
            Duck Soup (of course)
            Scarface
            Bringing Up Baby
            Stagecoach
            The Wizard of Oz

1940s
            The Big Sleep
            His Girl Friday
            My Darling Clementine
            Casablanca
            Citizen Kane

1950s
            Singin' in the Rain
            Vertigo
            Touch of Evil
            Paths of Glory
            The 400 Blows
            Breathless

1960s
            Lawrence of Arabia
            A Hard Day's Night
            Bonnie and Clyde
            The Wild Bunch
            The Good the Bad and the Ugly
            8 1/2

1970s - Too many to name, but at least...
            Nashville
            The Godfather
            The Godfather Part II
            Chinatown
            A Clockwork Orange
            Annie Hall
            Apocalypse Now
            Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; August 14, 2006, 08:53.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

American Film Institute's top 100 movies
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Peter Watkins: Culloden and The War Game

Peter Watkins was born in Norbiton, Surrey, on 29 October 1935. After education at Cambridge and RADA, he became an amateur documentary filmmaker, gaining some notoriety for shorts like The Diary of an Unknown Soldier (1959) and The Forgotten Faces (1961). In these films, Watkins initiated a challenge towards conventional cinematic norms that he has yet to relinquish.

He was eventually hired by the BBC and with Culloden (1964), his most enduring contribution to British film and television, he established an innovative style combining drama acted out by "real people" (here the amateur actors of Canterbury's Playcraft theatre) with newsreel techniques. A modern television crew, completely anachronistic, follows the build-up, the fighting of, and the brutal aftermath to the 1746 Battle of Culloden. Through bold montage, revealing close-ups, and hand-held camera movements, Watkins deconstructs both the historical myth surrounding the Scottish Jacobite pretender for the crown, Charles Edward Stuart ("Bonnie Prince Charlie"), and the cinematic conventions of traditional costume drama.

Culloden was generally hailed by the press, and Watkins employed the same techniques in his second documentary-drama for the BBC, The War Game (1966). Here, the effects of a nuclear strike on Britain are investigated in what Watkins has often referred to as the "You Are There" style. Realistic depictions of nuclear havoc are mixed with interviews with actors impersonating "survivors" and establishment figures whose rationalisation look increasingly uncomfortable as the horror unfolds. The BBC decided to ban the film from television screening (it was finally shown in 1985) because of its disturbing content (and its outspoken anti-war sentiment). However, the film was allowed a limited theatrical release and won a special prize at the Venice Film Festival (1966), an Oscar for best documentary feature (1967), and a BAFTA film award (1967).

John Sayles: Passion Fish and City of Hope

"I'm interested in the stuff I do being seen as widely as possible but I'm not interested enough to lie." John Sayles.

Before Kevin Smith maxed out his credit cards, before there was an Independent Film Channel or a Sundance festivaland long before independent film became a "marketing niche" there was John Sayles, making it happen with a combination of talent, shrewdness, and determination.

And he's kept on making it happen for over two decades, coming to personify the movement that he jump started in 1979 with his $40,000 feature The Return of the Secaucus 7. He has become the definitive independent, the Godfather of Bootstrap Cinema.

John Sayles was the original do-it-yourselfer. Even though his budgets have increased over the years (from $40,000 for Secaucus 7 to $4.5 million for Limbo (1999)) his basic MO hasn't really changed. His methodical, buccaneering approach to film has become something of legends in the hollywood system.

From the beginning he has made his living and partly financed his own productions by working as a screenwriter for hire on commercial projects. In the early days the films he polished or rewrote were mostly low budget shockers like Piranha and Alligator. In recent years he has worked as an uncredited "relief pitcher" on such high profile releases as Mimic and Apollo 13. (Sayles gets the save if not the win.)

Now we have a rare opportunity to check out the first stages of this distinguished paradigmatic career. Sayles first three homemade movies, Secaucus 7(1982), Lianna (1982) and The Brother From Another Planet (1985) have been carefully restored by the UCLA Film and Television Archive and they will be reissued together by IFC Films in 2002, initially in theaters and then as a boxed set of full feature DVDs.

Thanks to this state of the art UCLA restoration fans who have been following Sayles' work from the beginning will be able to rediscover these landmark movies with the glow of their idealistic youth seemingly fresher than ever. Moviegoers who know Sayles only from his acclaimed recent releases, complex multicharacter dramas like City of Hope (1991) and the Oscar nominated Lone Star (1996), and the Oscar nominated Passion Fish (1992), may be startled and impressed by the intimate physical scale and the shoestring grit of his first three productions.

The man who made Lone Star and Limbo no longer has anything to prove as a director. He is clearly one of this country's finest living filmmakers. And in The Return of the Secaucus 7, Lianna, and The Brother From Another Planet, we are offered a rare opportunity to watch a gifted writer who is not yet a filmmaker learning on the job, acquiring the visual skills he needs to communicate his ideas effectively.

Euzhan Palcy: Rue Cases Negres

Martinique, in the early 1930s. Young José and his grandmother live in a small village. Nearly everyone works cutting cane and barely earning a living. The overseer can fine a worker for the smallest infraction. The way to advance is to do well in school. José studies hard and succeeds in an exam allowing him to attend school in the capital. With only a partial scholarship, the tuition is very costly. José and his grandmother move to Fort-de-France to make José's studies easier...

Nils Gaup: Pathfinder

Around the year 1000 AD warlike people, the so-called "tjuder", roam in northern Scandinavia. As they brutally kill a family in a remote area, including the parents and their little daughter, the families teenage son, Aigin, observes the slaughter. He manages to flee from these killers and reaches a camp with other Lapps whose inhabitants are worried if he has been able to hide his track. Afraid of the murderous people, they decide to flee to the coast. The boy stays alone to avenge his families murder. Unfortunately, they get him before he can do anything and force him to lead them to the other Lapps. He guides them but has a plan to destroy the barbarous people before reaching the camp.

Stephen Frears: The Grifters and The Hit

John Cusack stars as a slick swindler in this quirky, absorbing adaptation of Jim Thompson's pulp novel. Happy with small-time grifts, he finds himself stuck in-between his girlfriend (Annette Bening), who wants him to go big time, and his mother (Anjelica Huston) who wants him to get out. Stephen Frears directs, while Martin Scorsese produces and provides a bit of narration. Mystery novelist Donald E. Westlake wrote the superb screenplay. The disc contains an all-star commentary track and two documentaries, one on the making of the film, and the other on Thompson.
                Combustible Celluloid Review - The Grifters (1990), written by Donald E. Westlake, based on a novel by Jim Thompson, directed by Stephen Frears, and with Anjelica Huston, John Cusack, Annette Bening, Jan Munroe, Robert Weems, J.T. Walsh, Stephen Tobolowsky, Pat Hingle, Jeremy Piven, Charles Napier, Juliet Landau, Martin Landau (narrator)

A still from Watkins' 'Culloden'.
                Attached Files
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Okay, I've been rummaging through my memories of films that I've seen and films I've owned and such like, so here's a (non) comprehensive list of some films you should see. I might point out that I'm not a great fan of Westerns or musicals, so you won't see many of those, nor will you see any of the Chinese chop-socky genre.

Films before 1920 :

Paul Wegener: Der Golem 1914

D. W. Griffiths: Birth Of A Nation 1915
                  Intolerance 1916

Charles Chaplin: The Tramp 1915
                  Easy Street 1917

Louis Lumiere: La Sortie Des Usines Lumiere 1895

Robert Wiene: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 1919

The Roaring Twenties:

F. W. Murnau: Nosferatu 1922
                  Sunrise 1927

Fritz Lang: Metropolis: 1926
                  Der Mabuse Der Spieler 1921

G. W. Pabst: Pandora's Box 1929

Abel Gance: Napoleon 1925

Carl Dreyer: The Passion of Joan of Arc 1928

Vsevolod Pudovkin: The End of St Petersburg 1927
                  Storm Over Asia 1928

Sergei Eisenstein: Battleship Potemkin 1925
                  Strike! 1925
                  October 1927

Dziga Vertov: Kino Pravda 1925
                  Man With A Movie Camera 1928

Erich von Stroheim: Greed 1924

King Vidor: The Crowd 1928

Harold Lloyd: Safety Last 1923

Buster Keaton: The Navigator 1924
                  The General 1927
                  Steamboat Bill 1928

Alfred Hitchcock: Blackmail 1929

Raoul Walsh: The Thief of Baghdad 1924

Rupert Julian: The Phantom of the Opera 1925

Tod Browning: London After Midnight 1927
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Don't neglect Bergman. My two faves are The Virgin Spring and Wild Strawberries.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                    X