NSA building massive database of US domestic phone records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSA building massive database of US domestic phone records

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congressional Democrats demanded answers from the Bush administration Thursday about a report that the government secretly collected records of ordinary Americans' phone calls to build a database of every call made within the country.

"It is our government, it's not one party's government. It's America's government. Those entrusted with great power have a duty to answer to Americans what they are doing," said Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth telephone companies began turning over records of tens of millions of their customers' phone calls to the National Security Agency program shortly after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, USA Today reported, citing anonymous sources it said had direct knowledge of the arrangement.

The telephone companies on Thursday declined to comment on national security matters, and would say only that they are assisting government agencies in accordance with the law.

"We have been in full compliance with the law and we are committed to our customers' privacy," said Bob Varettoni, a spokesman for Verizon.

The White House defended its overall eavesdropping program and said no domestic surveillance is conducted without court approval.

"The intelligence activities undertaken by the United States government are lawful, necessary and required to protect Americans from terrorist attacks," said Dana Perino, the deputy White House press secretary, who added that appropriate members of Congress have been briefed on intelligence activities.

On Capitol Hill, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he would call the phone companies to appear before the panel "to find out exactly what is going on."

Before the latest report, Specter said the committee "has been unable to perform our constitutional oversight responsibilities to determine the constitutionality of the program."

Leahy sounded incredulous about the latest report and railed against what he called a lack of congressional oversight. He argued that the media was doing the job of Congress.

"Are you telling me that tens of millions of Americans are involved with al Qaeda?" Leahy asked. "These are tens of millions of Americans who are not suspected of anything ... Where does it stop?"

The Democrat, who at one point held up a copy of the newspaper, added: "Somebody ought to tell the truth and answer questions. They haven't. The press has done our work for us and we should be ashamed. Shame on us for being so far behind and being so willing to rubber stamp anything this administration does. We ought to fold our tents."

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, said bringing the telephone companies before the Judiciary Committee is an important step.

"We need more. We need to take this seriously, more seriously than some other matters that might come before the committee because our privacy as American citizens is at stake," Durbin said.

The program does not involve listening to or taping the calls. Instead it documents who talks to whom in personal and business calls, whether local or long distance, by tracking which numbers are called, the newspaper said.

The NSA and the Office of National Intelligence Director did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

NSA is the same spy agency that conducts the controversial domestic eavesdropping program that has been acknowledged by President Bush. The president said last year that he authorized the NSA to listen, without warrants, to international phone calls involving Americans suspected of terrorist links.

Hayden's Capitol Hill visits canceled
    The report came as the former NSA director, Gen. Michael Hayden -- Bush's choice to take over leadership of the CIA -- had been scheduled to visit lawmakers on Capitol Hill. However, the meetings with Republican Sens. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska were postponed at the request of the White House, congressional aides in the two Senate offices said.

The White House offered no reason for the postponement to the lawmakers. Other meetings with lawmakers were still planned.

Hayden faced criticism because of the NSA's secret domestic eavesdropping program. As head of the NSA from March 1999 to April 2005, Hayden also would have overseen the call-tracking program.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, who has spoken favorably of the nomination, said the latest revelation "is also going to present a growing impediment to the confirmation of Gen. Hayden."

The NSA wants the database of domestic call records to look for any patterns that might suggest terrorist activity, USA Today said.

Don Weber, a senior spokesman for the NSA, told the paper that the agency operates within the law, but would not comment further on its operations.

One big telecommunications company, Qwest, has refused to turn over records to the program, the newspaper said, because of privacy and legal concerns.

Inquiry into eavesdropping killed

Meanwhile, the Justice Department has abruptly ended an inquiry into the warrantless eavesdropping program because the NSA refused to grant its lawyers the necessary security clearance. (Full story)

The Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility, or OPR, sent a fax to Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-New York, on Wednesday saying they were closing their inquiry because without clearance their lawyers cannot examine Justice lawyers' role in the program.

Justice Department spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said the terrorist surveillance program "has been subject to extensive oversight both in the executive branch and in Congress from the time of its inception."

Roehrkasse noted the OPR's mission is not to investigate possible wrongdoing in other agencies, but to determine if Justice Department lawyers violated any ethical rules. He declined to comment when asked if the end of the inquiry meant the agency believed its lawyers had handled the wiretapping matter ethically.

I realize this isn't evesdropping (though its cute that the Justice Dept had to drop their inquiry because NSA wouldn't give them SECURITY CLEARANCE... WTF?!), but isn't this a violation of search and seizure? Isn't who you call part of your privacy rights which should require a warrent to get? I know many said they would be upset if there was proof of domestic evesdropping, but isn't this pretty damned bad as well?

Didn't the US used to have a party who said they were for smaller government? Whatever happened to them?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I saw a live link to watch Bush talk about this on yahoo, read the story on cnn.com, and then declared

"holy ****ing ****"

This is wrong on such a massive level.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Hmmm. They may have a recording of me having phone sex with my GF while she was on training in Atlanta. I wonder if they'd send a copy if i asked.

What?
      What?

Comment

Impeach this mother****er already

What else does he have to do ?
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Bush claims non trolling, world awaits Ming's response:
          Attached Files
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I love the other headline next to this one,

"Has Ashlee Simpson had a nose job?"

WHO GIVES A ****

Comment

Are you telling me that tens of millions of Americans are involved with al Qaeda?" Leahy asked. "These are tens of millions of Americans who are not suspected of anything ... Where does it stop?"

The Democrat, who at one point held up a copy of the newspaper, added: "Somebody ought to tell the truth and answer questions. They haven't. The press has done our work for us and we should be ashamed. Shame on us for being so far behind and being so willing to rubber stamp anything this administration does. We ought to fold our tents."
              Well fold your tents, then, you ****ing pussies.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

PS I just called Osama

We talked about the American Idol from last night

WHAT A SHOCKER CHRIS WAS THE FAVORITE TO WIN BUT KATHERINE IS HOT SO NO BIGGIE INSHALLAH
                Last edited by Ted Striker; May 11, 2006, 12:56.

Comment

Many people in this administration should go to jail for a long time..

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"We are not mining or trolling through the personal lives of millions of innocent Americans."

Um, isn't that exactly what they're doing? Or are they just gathering the records and never looking at them or analyzing them?
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

:yawn:

Datamining BFD.

I do like how hte article attempts to sensationalize theissue by intentioning misleading as follows:

The White House defended its overall eavesdropping program and said no domestic surveillance is conducted without court approval.
                      emphasis mine

ZOMFG the governement is listening to my phoen calls.

only to give teh schockingly mundane buried in detail below (perhaps they could put it in fine print next time)

The program does not involve listening to or taping the calls. Instead it documents who talks to whom in personal and business calls, whether local or long distance, by tracking which numbers are called, the newspaper said.
                      Thankfully the article gives clear indication that terrorists should be using Qwest as their telecommunications provider.
                      Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; May 11, 2006, 13:14.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

And you approve of this?

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Caller: Ogie Ogelthorpe

Time: 1/26/2005, 7PM

Duration: 14h,13m

Number: 1-976-BIG-BUTTS

Owner: Big Butts LLC

Comment

I'd love for it to somehow leakout how many people the government has wiretapped, and some samples of who they wiretapped.
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              And you approve of this?

-Arrian
                              Apparently this administration has turned its supporters into sheep. If it was Clinton doing this, the Republican Party would be up in arms... but privacy rights don't matter anymore and small government is not a goal for W. Bush Republicans.

It's utterly shameful.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X