Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to start the Multi-Team Demo Game??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to start the Multi-Team Demo Game??

There has been some divergent opinions lately around these parts about when to start the game. It seems the most vocal have been the "Rabbits" who want to start yesterday and the "Turtles" who want to start sometime after the release of CIV V

So lets do this; lets have a general poll that all can vote on to determine when we want to actually start this game. Once we get a start date we can back up the dates for a Plan of Action and Milestones (POAM) from the chosen date.

First of all this is a 5 day poll.

Second of consider the above dates "approximate". It it makes more sense to start on a weekend for example, the winning date maybe adjusted by a couple of days.

State your case and vote.
    15 Dec 2005
    25.58%
    01 Jan 2006
    20.93%
    15 Jan 2006
    30.23%
    01 Feb 2006
    2.33%
    When Fried Psitalon says we should
    4.65%
    When Arrian says we should
    4.65%
    Other, state in the threads when.
    0.00%
    Only after the crucial banana harvest season
    11.63%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by conmcb25; November 17, 2005, 09:18.
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

I was the first to vote!

For 15th Jan.
    Why?
    I believe I already said 1st Feb is too far and I believe 1st Jan is too soon for us to get ready.
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

In order to avoid some sort of cosmic logic loop, I voted "when Arrian says we should." IIRC, I think I said February. 2/1/06 is fine. 2/15/06 is also probably fine. But given that some people are chomping at the bit (understandably so), 2/1/06 seems right to me (right now).

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The 15th of January makes sense. If we can't seriously just copy another set of rules in two weeks after the new year, and find time between now and the new year to throw together some rules for our individual team, we'll never finish a game anyhow. Waiting until the first of February just invites more pointless discussions of red tape.

We don't need to sing and dance. We take some old rules that work, we get a forum for each subteam, we play the game.
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

1st of January...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'd rather start sooner than later. Need to bring in the new year with a demo game. Jan 1 for me. Just throw together some rules and get it moving. We can always adjust things after the start.

Comment

I like Jan 15th, for the reason stated elsewhere that many people will not be around on the 1st.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Dec 15 would be my vote The faster you get this started, the more momentum you have ... a month is more than enough time to figure out rules and teams.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Rules are only part of the issue - are we sure of compatibility with patches? A patch is due shortly, but I have to think there will be more.

Anyway, I'm for 2/1. I don't think 1/15 would be a disaster, though. 1/1 would be a mistake, IMHO, due to the holiday season. I know I won't be around much between 12/23/05 and 1/2/06.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Jan 15th. Gives enough time for patches.

For those who played in the first PTWDG, you know how buggy the demogame save was because it really started before any patches. Trip and Gramphos spent a lot of time trying to "fix" the save so we could play it, which meant long periods of downtime in the middle of the game.

Compare that with the second PTWDG where the save was stable and there hasn't been any downtime except for the lack of interest in the game.

Comment

Yeah, PTWDGII ran fine, it just had other issues

PTWDGI was a frickin' mess.

-Arrian

Comment

I think Civ4 is already in a much better place than PTW was at launch (or even now) for MP so this hopefully would be a moot point. Hopefully the pitboss will be out by then too so we could see how that plays.

Comment

15 January is currently out front.

Fried got one more vote than Arrian so far but thats not saying much because he is currently tied with "waiting until the end of the crucial banana harvest season........."

4 more days to vote folks and thanks to markG and Snoopy369 for the news item
                          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

the sooner the better. Make it 15th Dec and hope the game will start until 15th Jan

Btw, take in aco**** I'm not a member of any team yet

Comment

And I didn't vote for myself. Do I have a stalker fan club out there?
                              Friedrich Psitalon
                              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
                              X