All teams would have to first approve the concept.
A Mercenary Team would expressly NOT be interested in winning, but rather in providing a service. Specifically troops when and where needed.
Look for Team Mercenary to:
Expand aggressively to open areas.
Strive to never break any deals with any team.
Offer military units for rent for an equal cost to all teams.
Seek a strong economy to support as many units as possible.
Keep ALL negotiations secret.
Divulge ALL completed contracts to the public. (once in game contact is made with all teams)
Offer a privacy fee to keep your team name out of said public statements.
Team Mercenary will not, however, engage in:
Attacking a neighbor unless we are either paid to, or they attacked us first.
Permanent alliances of any kind.
Knowingly break agreements/backstab. (mistakes can happen, we are human, in such cases reparations will be made.)
If that translate into winning, we won't complain. It's just not our primary goal, Win uber alles
How the contract system has worked rather well in a Civ 3 demogame:
For public discussion:
Reasons for Change
- To better serve potential customers, and include features requested.
- To better balance the Mercenary Concept.
- To close flaws evident in the old contracting system.
- This is still under discussion and subject to change. Any change will be added in to this public thread however, just as all Mercenary workings will be public.
- This is to be used as a GUIDE only. We will ALWAYS entertain lower offers and alternative forms of payment (tech, workers, etc).
- If your team has been quoted a price for a given contract already that has not been agreed to, this new standard pricing format will supercede past prices.
New Standard Pricing Format
- Provide a standard for all teams to see that they will know our dealing with them is fair and equal to our dealing with any other team.
- Provide a standard by which all teams will be able to reasonably predict, and therefore plan, for the expenses of hiring the Mercenary team.
- Keep the contracts affordable, yet not neccessarily cheap, that all teams will have the opportunity to hire should they choose.
- Open discussion with the public on possible changes with the format for how contracts are priced.
- Team Mercenary will now rent out units on a 10 turn basis.
- Each unit's set price will be 1/5 the shield cost. All units are guarenteed to be vetran units or better. Pricing subject to negotiation, as always, but full price will not be declined unless Team Mercenary is unable to complete the order.
- Team Mercenary will provide delivery services (ships) at no cost, and Team Mercenary maintains full control of said transport ships. We can and will make combat boats available for rent in the future.
- Payment is due no matter what our units do. If our units all die on turn 1, or if they just protect a position for 10 turns, we get paid.
- During that time frame they can ask our units to do anything (except disband).
- The Hiring team is ensured that the units hired will not be used against that team for 5 turns after the contract is fulfilled OR they leave the hiring team's territory. Whichever is longer.
- The Hiring team is ensured that the transports used to transport their troops will not carry units to be used against them until 3 turns after dropping off the troops or they have left the hiring team's territory. Whichever is longer.
Team Mercenary would like to thank all teams that have made suggestions and recomendations on both the hiring and receiving ends of contracts. The understanding and assistance of all teams involved to date has been more than we could have hoped for.
Obviously pricing will need to be addressed, as well as a few other changes that come with Civ4, notably, the option to gift units.
Is there any interest in forming such a team for the (apparantly) upcomming MP demogame