Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I disable the camera on my camera phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I disable the camera on my camera phone?

I never use the camera -- the only reason I got a camera phone is because I wanted a flip phone (the pre-paid phone I had before wasn't a flip phone, and so I couldn't carry the thing in my pocket without inadvertently hitting a dozen buttons) and the cheapest flip phone they had was a camera phone.

The problem is that I'm not allowed to bring cameras into work. Right now I've just got some electrical tape over the lense, but that won't satisfy an anal retentive security person. Does anybody have any experience in disabling these things? The worst case scenario is that I just wind up smashing the lense with a screwdriver or ice pick or awl or whatever, but I'd rather do this elegantly if possible.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Re: How do I disable the camera on my camera phone?

Originally posted by loinburger
    I never use the camera -- the only reason I got a camera phone is because I wanted a flip phone (the pre-paid phone I had before wasn't a flip phone, and so I couldn't carry the thing in my pocket without inadvertently hitting a dozen buttons)
    Wasn't it possible to have to have the keypad locked? (unlock + * with Nokia)
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

ahh, the joys of working/serving for defence.

It's a real pain in the arse. Maybe you can stab it with a pencil, and then pour rapidly solidifying plastic in it? ( I am half serious)
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Re: How do I disable the camera on my camera phone?

Originally posted by Colon

Come to think of it, with my old (ancient) Motorola it also used to be possible to lock the keypad.

clamshells

camera-phones
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
          You locked the keypad by holding down * , which meant that rather than hitting a dozen buttons every time you put the phone in your pocket you instead hit a dozen buttons about 20% of the time that you put the phone in your pocket (which seems to be the frequency with which I'd inadvertently hold down * when I put the phone in my pocket).

Originally posted by Az
          Maybe you can stab it with a pencil, and then pour rapidly solidifying plastic in it? ( I am half serious)
          I've got some epoxy that I was going to use to seal up the hole after I stabbed it with a screwdriver/awl/whatever, just to make sure that I didn't have little pieces of camera lense come loose in my pockets.

Comment

actually the more I think about it, the more is sounds like something plausible. not sure about:
            1) what kind of damage it can do to the circuitry.
            2) it may look fugly.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

It already looks pretty fugly covered in electrical tape, so that's not really an issue. It's the concerns about the circuitry that prompted me to look for a more elegant solution.

Comment

I don't know how your cellphone looks like, but usually, there is a rather serious gap between the camera lense and the outer translucent protecting cover. maybe you could break the outer cover, and pour some room temperature solidifying stuff in. In any case, it won't be the epoxy that would ruin the circuitry, it would be the whole "stab cellphone in the heart" thing.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Drop it down the toilet?
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

drill into it?

hot glue gun?

sodering iron?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Clamshells are for losers!!!...;O)

Comment

Magic marker on the lense. Or a drop of soldering iron. Hot enough to screw the lens permanently, or cover it, but not hot enough to burn trough to the cirquitry. Or so I believe.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Solder's a solid plan. I wasn't sure that the epoxy I've got would be opaque enough to satisfy the security people, and I'd hate to waste money on some sort of special opaque epoxy for the sole purpose of breaking my phone, but I'm sure that I can wrangle a soldering iron out of somebody.

Comment

Have you considered calling the manufacturer?
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I asked the people at the store where I bought the thing, and they graciously offered to sell me a new phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X