Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There Any Household Method to Neutralize Arsenic in Drinking Water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow the Anglo-Saxon example, and stick to beer.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      Not if he's been drinking that water.

BTW you can thank Bush for putting arsenic in your drinking water since he's the one who rolled back much of the proconsumer regulations clinton put in place.
      Cite on specific Bush vote that put arsenic in Space's drinking water?

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
        why are you going to drink it? and give me the chemical sign for Arsenic....i had chemistery as major for a year
        As
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

As
          *snikker*

Perhaps ion exchange collumns might also work although I do not know if it will work to teh ppb levels mentioned above.
          "Household" method?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Get a Britta or Pur filter. Your individual chance to get cancer from arsenic is very small. It's when it's spread across hundreds of millions of people that you see problems. Of course, if you're one of the statistics, sucks to be you.
            Britta or Pur = Activated carbon filter. Good for Hydrocarbon removal.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

"Household" method?
              Sure. They have lab scale ion exchange collumns to prepare DEMIN water.

Perfect for the home lab. Meth or otherwise.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                Cite on specific Bush vote that put arsenic in Space's drinking water?
                It wasn't a vote. They undid the Clinton executive order lowering the amount of arsenic in drikning water in the 1st month of the first term of the Bush presidency. It was very contraversial at the time.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                  Britta or Pur = Activated carbon filter. Good for Hydrocarbon removal.
                  IIRC, they remove metals as well.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

our drinking water has rocket fuel chemicals in it. Henderson used to manufacture rocket fuel for the space shuttle. Perchlorate is the name of the chemical. it has seeped into the ground and into Lake Mead, our source of drinking water.

Our case is a little different as the effects of perchlorate are not fully known, and it is difficult to put a limit on how much is allowable in drinking water.

Comment

Perchlorate is nasty, nasty stuff.

Comment

Some metals as they have a small ion exchage filter as well. But according to this the best bet is a reverse osmosis filtration system for sepcifically removing obscure materiasl such as Arsenic.

Consumer Search

Reverse osmosis

These systems used to be popular, but since advances have been made among other filter types, reverse osmosis models are not recommended for most people. Part of the problem is that this process—which pulls water through a membrane--wastes about five gallons of water for every gallon of purified water produced. The filtering process is very slow compared to other methods. Nonetheless, reverse osmosis is very effective, and can filter out more obscure pollutants like arsenic. They are also adept with dissolved minerals such as iron.That makes them a good choice for well owners who may have such problems with their water. Reverse osmosis systems fit under the sink and require professional installation.

Other filtering systems include distillation, which involves boiling water, allowing it to cool, and then filtering the collected sedimentation. Sediment filters help remove large particles like sand and silt. Reviewers generally do not discuss these types of filtering techniques.

Comment

I rarely drink tap water anyways . I can get free bottled water at work.

Comment

It's been awhile since I looked at a Brita label, but memory says that they only remove copper and iron.

I'd recomend either reverse osmosis or steam distillation. Home units of either are available in the $300-500 range IIRC.
                            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

It wasn't a vote. They undid the Clinton executive order lowering the amount of arsenic in drikning water in the 1st month of the first term of the Bush presidency. It was very contraversial at the time.
                              Tragically, this interpretation of events in Space's water supply is not supported by the facts.

1. Clinton's executive order came in the last days of his Presidency, so it wasn't as if he crusaded for this.
                              2. Clinton's executive order wasn't even supposed to go into effect until 2006. That's next year, btw.
                              3. Bush's proposal to rollback the executive orders was blocked in (the Republican held) Congress 218-189.
                              4. The EPA got into the act and made the 10 parts per billion standard official.
                              5. Of course, there wasn't a bit of evidence that said that the old 50 parts per billion standard was detrimental. But when did facts matter in government anyway?

Case closed. If Space is suffering from arsenic poisoning, it is not Bush's fault.

Now can we have one single goddamned discussion without ****ing politicizing it? Please?

Comment

Lastly I would like to point out that 30 ppb exceeds the standard in the US for the entire existence of the Republic. The idea of buying a purifier for water that is already pure is pretty damned silly. My grandmother drank WV well water for the first 40 years of her life and lived to see her 76th wedding anniversary.

It ain't the water that's gonna kill you, it's the worry.

Comment

Working...
                                X