A Project: Creating Cpt. Nemo's Red Front for CtP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't thinck it can be done.
    "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
    The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
    Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

I assume something could be added in the sourcecode to allow slic to change a city sprite mid-game?

For now anyway ill stick to the swapping files option, it also allows me to look at each of the files quicker if i need to change things, rather than one big file for all the seasons. I can go the all-in-one route later if i need to.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Sorry it can be done. You have to add a tech which alters the city style so you have ten techs. each one having a city style attached. You could then add the tech via slic which would do the job.
        "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
        The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
        Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Yeah I just had the very idea when I was out of the house and came to post it now, dammit
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

hmmm... I was thinking about this earlier today. Maybe we should look into added a bit in the CDB (probably a struct) that allows something like CityStyleOnly and then it selects a different sprite number, same with tiles but make it event linked...It'll take some digginginto the World, terrain, and sprite files in the code, but really I cant do it alone and I'm bogged dwn on my other stuff right now. But I don't think it would be that difficult to add for the units just a new flag that has to be looked at to show the sprite.
            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

If i understand you right I dont think any adjustment for the unit changing would be necessary, since the units dont only need to change sprites, they need change their values too in winter, so a different unit from units.txt needs to be placed there, but still maintain the hitpoints of the previous.

As for the other stuff it looks like that can all be achieved with what we currently have in SLIC. I certainly wouldnt want to take time of the coders to add things we can already do. Although editable flags for each civ's units would be excellent

Comment

I don't have an installation here to test it out on, but I don't suppose terrain.txt and tileimp.txt are swappable mid-game are they? Save the file, do a .bat switch and reload. That would save a whole lot of trouble. Since you're only need to change the floating values rather than the DB entries, I don't think it'll be hard-saved into the save file, and so it might let you swap them.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yeah I tested to make sure that worked first of all with a few different files, the saving, changing, reloading.

I think what mainly Bigmc is getting at is that there isnt any need to even save and reload the game, he wants to change everything "on-the-go" to perhaps be more immersive, which I would prefer, but as ive mentioned I have my reservations with the stability of it all happening on one turn. I wouldnt mind making the player save, exit, bat switch all the files needed then reload, in fact thats what I had planned originally.

Comment

I think you're right. Changing and reloading would be much easier for the game to handle. Terraforming an entire map would be a bastard, and keeping an array of tileimps to write for each tile would be a pain.

I quite liked the episodic nature of the original RedFront. Reloading the game would be much more visually impressive than spending 5 minutes waiting for the turn to refresh, terrain then units then cities. The other way is more like coming back to Act 2 of a play after the interval.
                    If you wanted to be really flashy, you could trigger intro movies or wondermovies to play dependant on season as well, to add to the After the Interval effect.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yeah I like the sound of that, and its much easier to create that kind of effect than a flowing epic, otherwise i might have to create an autumn and spring, perhaps in the future but i dont much feel like its that important right now. Also the player might save and leave the game anyway for a rest, its a long scenario, so nothing is gained from it.

I thought about using movies (or static images as movies at least) when i saw the AoM screenshots a while ago, if I have time, or if anyone wants to make any for me (relevant to the scenario obhviously) ill definitely use them.

Comment

Some good short videos here http://www.blitzkrieg-portal.co.uk/d....asp?content=4

Comment

Still chugging away. I missed some units in my desperation to get away from the boring sprite making, mostly Russian lend-lease units and some other spawned-only units, which is why I forgot them.

Anyway finished those mostly now, here's what im doing now, almost eye-candy, but not quite
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice! improvements?
                            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

A question regarding the sprite numbers, should i be sticking to any kind of numbering system taking into account other sprites from other mods, scenarios and such? Im asking because i was thinking about the sprite database. If i were to give them new numbers in the database it would go over 400 and the limit is what 250? Or is the whole idea of concrete numbers for each sprite available obsolete now? If theres a plan id like to be sticking to it before i start is what im saying.

Nice! improvements?
                              Its the village tile imp, before and after...

Comment

Right, I assume no one knows so Ill plunge ahead with it in any old order.

Comment

Working...
                                X