This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Dom... KISS.

Really, I can't stress this enough: C3C is a whole new beast; patch stuff is as yet uncertain (i.e., barbs, AI Armies, naval bombardment, etc.); we haven't played an AU game in HOW LONG?; etc.

While I appreciate the diligence in seeking out elements of the game that need improvement, I think we should stick to the broad brush strokes in a certain way (e.g., gameplay visible changes), while exploring advanced subtleties in another (e.g., preferences and flags).... most importantly, lock it down and PLAY THE NEW AU GAME!
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Version 1.00 is out.

Download from the initial post!

Comment

I'm pretty happy with version 1.00 (and 1.01b) of the mod. Good job everyone! However:

Philosophy:

1. Not required for era advancement
        2. Removed half the cost of the Republic, and added it to Philosophy.
        This is pretty bad. Let's see:

a. It does not increase strategic options, because it's still the best move to rush for Philosophy and get a free tech on the way to Republic (Code of Laws).

b. It does not really help the AI, because all it does is slow the human player down. The AI will still not compete for Philosophy. If anything, it will reach the Medieval era faster and start on that tree, increasing the time it's not in Republic.

c. It does not preserve the feel of the stock game, for rather obvious reasons.

d. It does nothing else the AU mod was designed to do.

Although I admit there's a problem with Philosophy being too strong, I would rather we just had left it the way it is than play cut and paste with the tech tree (and still fail to solve the problem).

Dominae
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Hmm...

As far as know, AI researches optional techs less often.
          Which means that AI would care for Philosophy even less then before.

P.S.
          I did more conservative tweak in my mod:
          Doubled cost of Philosophy (6 to 12), Republic cheaper for same amount (28 to 22).
          While it does not fix the behavior, it at least makes more difficult to get free Republic (but more chance for free Code of Laws instead), and AI would still research it since its not too expensive, nor optional.

Comment

Philosophy thread

Comment

Is there something easy to pull out of 1.02 to use in 1.01b in order to have the right graphics?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. It's pretty easy to implement so I'm surprised that you didn't throw it into the "flavors" mod already.

-donZappo
              Last edited by donZappo; January 23, 2004, 21:26.

Comment

So is there a change needed in the biq or will both mods automagically find it?
                "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Could the old .txt readme files be included with the zips in future versions? Those were nice because they carried a brief description of the change and the reasons why, which meant that people like me who only follow some of the discussions won't have to root through dozens of posts to find the reasons why.

Great job on the mod, and I'm looking forward to starting the first game. Thanks for the work.

Regards,
                  Fosse

Comment

Could we see final tallies for all the votes?
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Actually, Fosse, I think the top of this thread details all the current changes, but I agree, a readme would be a nice bonus.

Also agree with Theseus, especially since the rank voting system was very difficult to follow and tell which proposals were doing well(versus the simple Yes/No votes).
                      "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                        Could we see final tallies for all the votes?
                        Does that mean you're volunteering to do it?

The next release will include a readme. We just didn't have time because the voting finished just a few hours before the AU game was to be released.

By the way, if you install the graphics, yes, both versions of the mod know to look for them.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                          We just didn't have time because the voting finished just a few hours before the AU game was to be released.
                          Can hardly fault you for that!

Comment

When will the next release be by the way? Are you going to wait til the next AU game or continue releasing as new changes are approved. I was wondering whether I should wait for the next release, or mod in the build option changes and my own changes, which together are close to a mod themselves.

Comment

I imagine that the next release will be in time for the next AU game. No time schedule is set yet. In the meantime, I would go ahead and mod the mod to my liking.

Comment

Alexman,

I currently have your AU Mod 1.02 in the Apolyton directory which means it's linked to the location of the file.

I will try to keep an eye on this thread to see when you update the AU Mod, but it would be easier for me if you PM me when you update to a later version so the link will be accurate.

Thanks
                                badams

Comment

Working...
                                X