COMPILE: Linux Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMPILE: Linux Port

I'm wondering is anyone else is trying to port this to linux.

I spent some time on it and I got some of the mapgen dll's to build. Specifically Crater.so, fault.so, geometric.so, Plasma1.so and Plasma2.so

The above was the easy stuff though. I guess that hard part will be replacing dx calls with sdl calls and mss calls with openal calls.

I noticed that there is a linux makefile for dbgen. So I guess at least someone at activision was thinking of linux. ( Maybe they're reading this post, and could contact me? ).

Anyways, I'm interested in getting this thing up and running under linux. So if anyone thinks they can help out, that would be great!

Mike

ps. If you want to get a hold of me, use msn messenger (closms@hotmail.com). Don't send email there, I won't get it.
    Last edited by closms; November 3, 2003, 15:25.

id be glad to help but i have never tried to port an application to linux before, im just a happy user/programmer. but i figure it cant be too hard, just a long hard pull to get everything plugged in to the proper system calls.

kaan

Comment

I believe that we should concentrate our efforts to work in some sort of a single fashion. Our priority now should be fixing the worst of game bugs, and adding sound on the Windows version.

Although for the future, Linux port is clearly a good idea.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

these goals are not that different, porting ctp2 to linux is also making the sound work and fixing bugs, its just that if we do port this game to linux there will be a lot more ppl coming to help with the rest. Those ppl will for the most part be experienced in working in an open source community and we can really use that kind of ppl now.

kaan

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          I believe that we should concentrate our efforts to work in some sort of a single fashion. Our priority now should be fixing the worst of game bugs, and adding sound on the Windows version.
          A public CVS (www.cvshome.org) server would be a good way to coordinate all developer efforts. Does such a server exist?

Comment

As I posted in another thread, we may be prohibited from using a CVS.

Also, on Linux port, it's not open source. Usage of CtP2 source is limited by EULA.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The source code can, at this point, only be distributed from Apolyton, as far as I am aware, according to the code EULA. This would preclude a remote CVS, unless it was somehow implemented at Apolyton. I think ultimately some semi-manual system will be implemented.

Comment

Also, on Linux port, it's not open source. Usage of CtP2 source is limited by EULA.
                i know that what we are dealing with here is not open source, but our way to work with the code (can you even say that?) is identical and thats why we could use ppl that has experience from that kind of projects.

i just read the licence again and you are right about the distributing part, thats a shame if that inhibits us from using a public CVS.

kaan
                Last edited by kaan; November 3, 2003, 16:56.

Comment

What if Apolyton set up a pserver and only gave accounts to people who have accepted the EULA. That way CVS could still be used and we wouldn't be violating the code EULA.

Comment

we could also make a source tree containing only the patch code, that way we can distribute all we want to.
                    the patch program in linux would be perfect, does anyone know if it has been ported to win32? it might be part of cygwin but i dont know.

kaan

Comment

Since the code was written for DirectX 7 it may be possible to get it to compile against winelib.

Comment

winelib of course

you are a hero my friend

Comment

As far as CVS and stuff goes, I'm working on that (seeing what's technically/legally possible), please give me some time...
                          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

We (those who have downloaded the code) all already have a copy of diff that came with the source code. I'm sure it will come in handy.

Comment

PATCH

Hello All,

I've made a patch available to kick off the linux port. Contributions and criticism are welcome.

Right now the work is pretty basic. Correcting case, and compiler warnings. Also VC++ has some quirks that aren't supported on g++. It should be pretty easy to contribute.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X