Previous Threads:

PROJECT: Playtest
    PROJECT: Playtest II
    PROJECT: Playtest Thread III
    PROJECT: Playtest (the 4th Thread)
    PROJECT: Playtest (Thread No. 5)

Mini-FAQ

General playtest info / questions:

#1 Do I need any additional files to make the playtest work?

IF it is a build created with the .NET compiler. Therefore you need the .NET runtime environment to run the *.exe.
    If you dont already have it it is avalaible at windows update or here.
    Or at least you need those two dlls if you don't want to install the .NET runtime.

#2 How do I make a mod work with these playtest versions?

Although not all have been tested thoroughly, most mods should work with this playtest version without any changes. If you suffer any difficulties please post about them.

#3 Do I need to install the official Activision patch before this playtest version?

It makes no difference whether you do or not. So it is just a waste of time.

#4 How should I report a bug?

Include as much relevant information as you can. If possible explain how to replicate the problem. If appropriate, attaching a screenshot or a savegame is helpful. If the bug involves a crash to desktop, then it is helpful to include the crash log. You can enable crash logging by editing your userprofile.txt (in [Your CTP2 directory]\ctp2_program\ctp\) to set EnableLogs=Yes. The log can then be found at [Your CTP2 directory]\ctp2_program\ctp\logs\crash.txt.

#5 When will a new playtest verson be released?

When a code monkey feels like it . This will usually be either when some serious bug is fixed, or enough minor fixes have piled up that need to be tested. If you want to test some recent change, you can post here to request a new playtest build and they will try to oblige you.

#6 When will a new playtest thread be posted?

When the old thread is full meaning it has reached or has exceeded the 500 post limit.

#7 How do I refer to a certain version?

You refer to a playtest by posting data or by date of compilation of the executable, you can find the date on the opening screen of the playtest. For instance our first playtest is dated from December the 9th 2003 or in other words it is playtest from 2003-09-12. In the latest playtest readme files we also included the code revision number, so you can also this.

#8 Why did you not use version numbers like Activision did?

We decided that we don't give them a version number until we reimplemented all of the useful features of Activision's v.1.1. Unfortunately there are still a few features missing from the patch. Therefore we haven't yet assigned a version like v.1.2 or v1.3. Well something above 1.2 or 1.3 would be more appropiate since we have been adding much more new features and fixes than the patch added. - Well let's see if this ever happens.

LATEST PLAYTEST: October 8th 2008

It is time for a new thead since the last one has reached the 500 post limit and it is time again for a new playtest, too. In the meantime we have made it to revision 866 of Apolyton Edition Playtest of CTP2.

All you need is is the following file and follow the instructions in its readme:

Edit: Updated link

Here is the latest revision 907:

A new version of the Apolyton Edition is ready for testing and playing. It is featuring a new way to upgrade units, an improved AI and a flicker bug fix.

If you want to upgrade units there is now an extra button on the unit order button bank, on the status bar you can see: How many units you can upgrade in the active army. How many units you could upgrade if you had the gold to do it. And the total number of units in the army. Furthermore, you see the gold you need to upgrade all the units you can upgrade and the gold you would need to upgrade all units in the army.

Various fixes have been added to the AI. In addition, the basic AI unit to goal assignment algorithm was redesigned. So that the AI now checks first whether it has enough units for sieging a city, instead of assigning and moving units to a city with canceling the goal if it figures out later that it does not has enough units. Also the AI unit rally algorithm has been redesigned so that the AI can group its units before it sieges cities.

A very nasty bug was a flickering of the tile highlight square that is painted around the tile on that the mouse pointer points. Such flickering draws your attention to it, even if nothing of interest is there, this is very tiring, but now it is removed so that you can play longer without getting tired.

Here is the download link.

And here is the list of changes from the readme:

Code:
    2008-10-08 (Revision 907)
    Fixed:    The tile highlight square at the mouse pointing position does not not
              blink anymore. In general, blinking items draw attention even if
              there is nothing important. In that case it was blinking always at
              the of the GUI repainting speed, which just makes the player tired.
    Fixed:    The AI now uses the right settle city bounding rectangle for settling.
    Changed:  The AI only considers a city in its goal assignment as unexplored if
              no tile improvement is visible. That is the same way as a human player
              behaves, since if he sees a tile improvement without a city then he
              concludes it must be in the dark.
    Added:    Extra upgrade command for the order button bank. The upgrade command
              has to be enabled before the game start from special rules screen.
              The upgrade command button is only visible if an army is active
              that contains an upgradable unit.
    Fixed:    The AI does rebuild its capitol if it has lost its capitol.
    Fixed:    The ration, workday, and wages sliders now add happiness, even if
              the overall slider happiness is positive. This behavior is the 
              expected one, even if the programmers capped the total increase,
              originally.
    Changed:  Cities are now watchful for seven turns like in Cradle, so that
              slavers go more to other cities.
    Changed:  If the AI build for offense it builds city walls first. Makes its
              defense stronger and protects from slavery.
    Fixed:    Slaves do not go to cities if those cities are at the population
              maximum.
    Fixed:    Slave raid failure message now displays the target city correctly.
    Fixed:    Slavers do not go to cities with walls.
    Fixed:    The AI does not consider boats with cargo as defenders although
              the cargo cannot defend. (e.g. Slavers)
    Changed:  Cleaned up various AI code files to improve code reliability and
              speed.
    Fixed:    The game does not crash anymore if a new civilization has the same
              player number that was used by a civilization killed previously.
    Fixed:    A crash while the game checked whether a unit can settle.
    Changed:  Instead of moving units first to a goal and then canceling the goal
              if it has not enough units when the units were already moved, it now
              does not send its units to those goals at all.
    Changed:  The AI now considers all goals on the base of nearby units.
    Changed:  The AI uses an algorithm for rallying troops that works.
    Fixed:    Slavers now go to cities with at least to population points.
    Fixed:    Some problems in multiplayer, but not all.
    Changed:  Some settings in goods.txt and DiffDB.txt for the Apolyton Edition Mod.
    Fixed:    A crash with missing population assignment data.
    Fixed:    The AI can now settle more than one city per turn.
    Fixed:    A potential crash in the char window.
    Fixed:    A bug caused by adding new civilisations during the game.
    Fixed:    The AI strategy is restored after a game reload, this fixes the AI's
              settling behavior for instance.
    Fixed:    A bug that makes the game crash if a unit is killed after a reload
              before it had its turn.
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; January 5, 2009, 15:52.
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Looks good Martin I'll try and test PBEM later tonight.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Well that was a good start

I got the error below (pic) when settling a city the first time.

Also what is up with the pop-up when the game starts about religion? "Zoroaster is preaching in our lands..." or something, should these changes be in the unmodified game?
      Attached Files
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
        I got the error below (pic) when settling a city the first time.
        Cool, isn't it, this way we get all those events called with invalid arguments, especially useful in slic debugging. If it is getting to annoying you can also disable it, look under advanced settings for the option right below slic debugging. It's the slic event debug option. Well in that case I think the problem is not so serious, but for the Grouping one I have to look harder. Oh and please keep up posting those error messages.

Originally posted by Maquiladora
        Also what is up with the pop-up when the game starts about religion? "Zoroaster is preaching in our lands..." or something, should these changes be in the unmodified game?
        Well for that you have to ask E. Especially since the stuff isn't finished, yet.

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

If it is getting to annoying you can also disable it, look under advanced settings for the option right below slic debugging. It's the slic event debug option. Well in that case I think the problem is not so serious, but for the Grouping one I have to look harder. Oh and please keep up posting those error messages.
          I disabled "DebugSlicEvents" which is around the centre of the list, which stopped the pop-up when building a city.

I'm getting a problem in PBEM though. The first time I build a city the pop-up comes up (or not when disabled) and the game appears to freeze, although I can move the cursor in the game. This doesn't happen in single player though.

EDIT: Actually the freeze appears to be related to the religion pop-up in-game. Anytime I get the religion pop-up at the start and when I build the first city the game freezes (except for the cursor), when I don't get the religion pop-up then city building is fine (apart from the debuc slic event pop-up on the desktop).
          Last edited by Maquiladora; November 18, 2007, 23:08.

Comment

Well for that you have to ask E. Especially since the stuff isn't finished, yet.

-Martin
            I haven't played for a long time and I am far from being up to date about the various modifications made to the original game. But as far as I am concerned religion has nothing to do into the basic game.

Any other opinion from me would have been surprising though.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I updated to the new build 826.
              The save game is now unplayable because of the error "Maquiladora" posted. If I click "yes" the same box pops up 4-8 times, then I can open the game but then all the tiles are black but I can see the units. And if I try to do anything the error returns and sometimes there is a complete crash.
              oh yes, this is a saved game, saved from build 812.

Thank you for your work, looking forward to the first version (non beta).

Version 2007-11-19
              0x7d6210c8 [__onexitbegin + 0x7cc5d710]
              0x7d623a8e [__onexitbegin + 0x7cc600d6]
              0x7d62377d [__onexitbegin + 0x7cc5fdc5]
              0x77bbd08c [__onexitbegin + 0x771f96d4]
              0x0040217d [??2@YAPAXI@Z + 0xd]
              0x005252b5 [?BuildSaveList@GameFile@@SAPAV?$PointerList@VGameI nfo@@@@W4C3SAVEDIR@@@Z + 0x235]
              0x00715d5d [?SetType@LoadSaveWindow@@QAEXI@Z + 0x1fd]
              0x0071278b [?loadsavescreen_displayMyWindow@@YAHI@Z + 0x3b]
              0x00722142 [?optionwarningscreen_but1Press@@YAXPAVaui_Control@ @IIPAX@Z + 0x52]
              0x0064491b [?MouseLDropInside@aui_Button@@MAEXPAUaui_MouseEven t@@@Z + 0xdb]
              0x006c79b8 [?MouseLDropInside@ctp2_Button@@UAEXPAUaui_MouseEve nt@@@Z + 0x18]
              0x00666fd5 [?MouseDispatch@aui_Region@@QAEXPAUaui_MouseEvent@@ H@Z + 0x2c5]
              0x006654c5 [?HandleMouseEvent@aui_Region@@QAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@ PAUaui_MouseEvent@@H@Z + 0x115]
              0x00665438 [?HandleMouseEvent@aui_Region@@QAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@ PAUaui_MouseEvent@@H@Z + 0x88]
              0x00674379 [?HandleMouseEvents@aui_UI@@QAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@HPA Uaui_MouseEvent@@@Z + 0x99]
              0x006749b3 [?Process@aui_UI@@UAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@XZ + 0x23]
              0x0040c1cf [?ProcessUI@CivApp@@AAEHIAAI@Z + 0x19f]
              0x0040c56b [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x11b]
              0x00406fa4 [?CivMain@@YGHPAUHINSTANCE__@@0PADH@Z + 0x394]
              0x00406a05 [WinMain@16 + 0x65]
              0x007fd91c [WinMainCRTStartup + 0x134]
              0x7d4e7d2a [__onexitbegin + 0x7cb24372]
              Attached Files

Comment

By the way E, could you replace the old playtest in the directory with this one so that I can save some space and remove the outdated source code archieve from the directory. It even links to a non-Apolyton space. Oh, and please do it this time as fast as possible.
                Done

here is the link

2007.11.19.CTP2.Playtest.rar

Edit: Removed links. For an up to date version of the Apolyton edition click here.

Originally posted by Tamerlin

I haven't played for a long time and I am far from being up to date about the various modifications made to the original game. But as far as I am concerned religion has nothing to do into the basic game.

Any other opinion from me would have been surprising though.
                Religion will have no gameplay impact. Consider it a "flavor"

All I'm doing is setting it up to show "potential" modders how religion can be done in the AE.

As it works now if you research a certain tech you achieve a "religion feat" . The holy city wonder provides no bonuses or anything but can be built if you achieved the feat (RequiresFeat tag) or any player can try and build it if the feat has been achieved by one player (RequiresFeatAnyPlayer). even though a flag of goldfromimprovement is there its like the television gold code but takes it from any ciity that has the building. But to folow the tamerlin rule its set to 0 so you don't get anything.

The religion wonder enables the specific building (shrine) of that religion but that building has no bonuses (in the AE to not impact gameplay but is modifiable)

When you are a theocracy youi can build clerics just like before but this time the cleric (using the same unit graphic because I'm lazy) have the religion Icon instead of the national flag, and you do the same cleric missions. But if you convert another civs city it will create your religion temple (again it has no cost or bonus following tamerlin rule) but does display the religion icon for the city.

So as you can see in the AE will act just as a flavor but the tags are there for those that want to make religion a little more like civ4 (where you convert to raise gold). We can do this for corporations as well(the code is there) but I'm not going to do it because i think it should require resources and that may affect gameplay.

So bottomline it doesn't affect gameplay but will add a nice flavor.
                Last edited by Martin Gühmann; May 22, 2008, 17:34.
                Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by E
                  Religion will have no gameplay impact. Consider it a "flavor"

All I'm doing is setting it up to show "potential" modders how religion can be done in the AE.

As it works now if you research a certain tech you achieve a "religion feat" . The holy city wonder provides no bonuses or anything but can be built if you achieved the feat (RequiresFeat tag) or any player can try and build it if the feat has been achieved by one player (RequiresFeatAnyPlayer). even though a flag of goldfromimprovement is there its like the television gold code but takes it from any ciity that has the building. But to folow the tamerlin rule its set to 0 so you don't get anything.

The religion wonder enables the specific building (shrine) of that religion but that building has no bonuses (in the AE to not impact gameplay but is modifiable)

When you are a theocracy youi can build clerics just like before but this time the cleric (using the same unit graphic because I'm lazy) have the religion Icon instead of the national flag, and you do the same cleric missions. But if you convert another civs city it will create your religion temple (again it has no cost or bonus following tamerlin rule) but does display the religion icon for the city.

So as you can see in the AE will act just as a flavor but the tags are there for those that want to make religion a little more like civ4 (where you convert to raise gold). We can do this for corporations as well(the code is there) but I'm not going to do it because i think it should require resources and that may affect gameplay.

So bottomline it doesn't affect gameplay but will add a nice flavor.
                  Why should we include into the basic version things that have no effect in the game ?

I just want to say that I don't see the point of including in the basic game something that allows you to build something that does not have any effect on the game.

IMO, if this is the case, such changes should be immediately taken out of the basic game. But perhaps have I missed something ?

Last edited by Tamerlin; November 20, 2007, 05:19.
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I disabled slic (DebugSlicEvents=No) and the game seems to run, I still get these errors sometimes but its ok.

But after the update I don’t get the text in messages in the "MSGS" window between "Unit" and "Title". only icons and a single word "Diamond" and "Foolish" in another.

Can the game be run in a window (to get screenshots)?
                    What is SLIC?

Comment

Originally posted by cue
                      I disabled slic (DebugSlicEvents=No) and the game seems to run, I still get these errors sometimes but its ok.
                      If you still get errors than you haven't slic debugging. That would have been the other option.

Originally posted by cue
                      But after the update I don�t get the text in messages in the "MSGS" window between "Unit" and "Title". only icons and a single word "Diamond" and "Foolish" in another.
                      For some reason I included the following sentence in my opening post.

All you need is is the following file and follow the instructions in its readme
                      Anyway, here is the passage that matters for you:

After installation you can start a new game or continue a game from
                      a previous version. All you need to do - after loading your save game - is to
                      open the chat window by typing the apostrophe key (') and enter: /reloadslic
                      You have to do this procedure once per save game.
                      Originally posted by cue
                      Can the game be run in a window
                      No, it can't.

Originally posted by cue
                      (to get screenshots)?
                      Just press the print key (right of F12) on you keyboard and then use any paint programe and paste the data into a new image.

Originally posted by cue
                      What is SLIC?
                      An acronym for a computer language exclusively made for CTP2, so that you can mod the game in more ways than you can mod other games.

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                        I haven't played for a long time and I am far from being up to date about the various modifications made to the original game.
                        Of course some of them include some translation works, str_loc.txt needs some more entries for new units, civilizations and goods.

-Martin

Comment

Of course some of them include some translation works, str_loc.txt needs some more entries for new units, civilizations and goods.

-Martin
                          I will try to have a look at this file as soon as I have the time to do so... certainly not before Christmas though.

Comment

I will try to RTFM from now on.
                            Sorry about that

Got a crash while playing. Not much to say.

I belive the icon for trade embargo is missing from the diplomacy screen..?

Version 2007-11-19
                            0x007d3384 [?Prioritize_Goals@Scheduler@@QAE_NXZ + 0x114]
                            0x007d2b48 [?Process_Goal_Changes@Scheduler@@QAE?AW4TIME_SLICE _STATE@1@XZ + 0x138]
                            0x007eed00 [?GEVHookCallback@CtpAi_BeginSchedulerEvent@@EAE?AW 4GAME_EVENT_HOOK_DISPOSITION@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGam eEventArgList@@@Z + 0x70]
                            0x0057a7a7 [?Activate@GameEventHook@@QBE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@PA VGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x37]
                            0x0057b168 [?ActivateHook@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ ERR@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x28]
                            0x0057928d [?Process@GameEvent@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@XZ + 0x2d]
                            0x0040c61f [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x1cf]

Comment

I get a crash every time I end this turn.
                              No problems until now with the new build.

Version 2007-11-19
                              0x007dc297 [?Set_Can_Be_Executed@Goal@@QAEXAB_N@Z + 0x17]
                              0x007d3402 [?Prioritize_Goals@Scheduler@@QAE_NXZ + 0x192]
                              0x007d2b48 [?Process_Goal_Changes@Scheduler@@QAE?AW4TIME_SLICE _STATE@1@XZ + 0x138]
                              0x007eed00 [?GEVHookCallback@CtpAi_BeginSchedulerEvent@@EAE?AW 4GAME_EVENT_HOOK_DISPOSITION@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGam eEventArgList@@@Z + 0x70]
                              0x0057a7a7 [?Activate@GameEventHook@@QBE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@PA VGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x37]
                              0x0057b168 [?ActivateHook@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ ERR@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x28]
                              0x0057928d [?Process@GameEvent@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@XZ + 0x2d]
                              0x0040c61f [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x1cf]

Comment

Working...
                              X