Best Live Album Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monk
    What's Peter Frampton's most widely known song?

I'm not sure I've ever heard any of his material.

For sure I've never heard of the man himself.
    Do you feel like we do

the only song I know from him. Very widely played song.

Comment

Baby I love your way

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Dissident,

I looked up the lyrics and I'm quite sure I've never heard the song in question. There are some songs that are huge in the U.S and never really make it in Europe. For example, I've heard a lot of Americans complain about Freebird being an overplayed song, but I've only heard it about five or six times myself, and that was on international web radio stations.

Tuberski,

There's something I can recognise, although I think I've mostly heard it covered by somebody else. A friendly ACK to you
        Last edited by Monk; January 22, 2005, 14:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

It's the best selling live album of all time, so he did something right.

ACK!
          Yes, the same thing Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys have done right: appeal to the tone-deaf and tasteless masses.

Behind Live at Leeds, I'd put Bob Dylan Live 1966, Jimi Hendrix, Live at Woodstock, the Grateful Dead's Hundred Year Hall and some of the Dick's Picks series (the series overall is hit or miss, but the hits are outstanding), Kris Kistofferson Live fro the Philharmonic, Tom Waits Nighthawks at the Diner, Jimmy Smith Root Down (Live) and The Band The Last Waltz.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi

Yes, the same thing Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys have done right: appeal to the tone-deaf and tasteless masses.
            You say this, then post this:

I'd put Bob Dylan

Bob may write well, but sing? You would have to be tone deaf and stoned to think he can sing.

Peter Frampton was more about his guitar than his singing.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

It's one of the greatest mysteries of rock that after Humble Pie Frampton went massive, while Steve Marriott (a better guitarist and far, far better singer) descended into obscurity.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Bob may write well, but sing? You would have to be tone deaf and stoned to think he can sing.
                Heretic.

Besides, even if I gave you that (which I'm not), it's about more than just singing.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                  I looked up the lyrics and I'm quite sure I've never heard the song in question. There are some songs that are huge in the U.S and never really make it in Europe.
                  I'm pretty sure you must've heard some of his songs, but you simply don't know they're his.

The only reason I know his name is because I hear it mentioned fairly regularly on a classic rock radio station over here. I'm not exactly familiar with his music either though, but from what I do know it's nice but not particularly memorable...

"Show Me The Way" is another pretty well-known song of his.
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                    Damn. Someone mentioned Frampton. I'm going to have to control my inner rage now.
                    Oh, like you don't have to do that on a minutely basis.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                      I'm pretty sure you must've heard some of his songs, but you simply don't know they're his.
                      Of course I cannot dismiss that possibility. Perhaps I'll have to dig up some compilation album or something along the way to see for myself.

Then again, anybody who authored 'Baby I love your way' can't expect to be too high on my list of priorities.

Comment

Iron Maidens "Live after death" easily equals The Whos "Live at Leeds" as the best live-album ever. Depeche Modes "101" is also really good as is Deep Purples "Live in Japan" (Child in time!)

Other good live albums:

Dire Straits "Alchemy" with its 13 minute version of Sultans of Swing.

Blind Guardian "Live"

The earlier mentioned NIN "All that could have been"

Frontline Assembly "Live Wired"

Jethro Tull "Live - Bursting out"

And just to piss Dissident off "Decade of Agression" is probably the worst (soundwise anyway) live album ever recorded. I´ve heard better bootlegs recorded on Walkmans!
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
                          Iron Maidens "Live after death" easily equals The Whos "Live at Leeds" as the best live-album ever. Depeche Modes "101" is also really good as is Deep Purples "Live in Japan" (Child in time!)

Other good live albums:

Dire Straits "Alchemy" with its 13 minute version of Sultans of Swing.

Blind Guardian "Live"

The earlier mentioned NIN "All that could have been"

Frontline Assembly "Live Wired"

Jethro Tull "Live - Bursting out"

And just to piss Dissident off "Decade of Agression" is probably the worst (soundwise anyway) live album ever recorded. I´ve heard better bootlegs recorded on Walkmans!
                          yeah but it's a "true" live album. Not all these albums that have been "cleaned up".

Live should mean live.

Comment

Crap in - crap out, you mean? In that case I prefer a little a little "cleaning up"...
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
                              Iron Maidens "Live after death"...
                              I remember that one.

We were going to Roskilde and a member of the crew kept insisting we should attend the Iron Maiden concert.

Live After Death played an important part in persuading us.

Comment

Roger Waters - In the Flesh
                                Rush - Show of Hands

Comment

Working...
                                X