No announcement yet.

Tool request for scenario players and designers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perl isn't the best programming language when it comes to executables. I got something working though...

Download Civ2tech

Bugfix 12-12-2007

Update 11-12-2007:

I've made civ2tech a little more user-friendly for people wary of using the command-line.
    • Unzip the contents of the zip anywhere
    • Create a (desktop) shortcut to civ2tech.exe (Optional)
    • Drag and drop any rules file onto either the civ2tech executable or the civ2tech shortcut to check the technology tree for errors.
    • Repeat the above step until civ2tech can't find any more errors.

For those who want to use the command-line, that still works the same:

It's a command-line utility so you'll have to use a DOS/Command prompt.

Unzip the contents into some folder. Open the command prompt, go to the directory you put civ2tech into and type in something like:

Code:
    civ2tech C:\MPS\Civ2\Scenario\Awesome\rules.txt
    If there are spaces in the filename, be sure to use double quotes around it, like this:

Code:
    civ2tech "C:\Program Files\Civ2\Scenario\Totally Awesome\rules.txt"
    It'll give you error messages saying what's wrong and in some cases it will also mention the line in the Rules file the error occured on.

To be more precise, it will give you just one error message; the first error it finds. You'll have to fix that error before running civ2tech again to see if there are any more errors.

If it can't find any errors it will say so. E.g. "Everything seems OK for D:\Games\Civ2\rules.txt."

Could anyone try it out with some (intentionally) screwed up tech trees?
    Last edited by Mercator; May 8, 2013, 16:57.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Well, it's good to know that no-one really cares after all. That'll save me a lot of trouble in the future.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Whoa! I am definitely interested in this, but I haven't been able to Civ for over 3 weeks! Give me until Sunday before you walk away in disgust.

I strongly suspect that September is very slow month for Civving in general. RL kicks into high gear for many. Add to that the upcoming Civ4 release (anyone heard from Exile?), and you've got a recipe for a slow response.

Still, does no one have time to test this sooner?
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
          Well, it's good to know that no-one really cares after all. That'll save me a lot of trouble in the future.
          Sorry for not posting anymore on this (my own!) thread!

Of course I'm really interested, and I really intend to start working on it in the coming weeks, but RL has been awfully complicated of late, and so my Civ time has been drastically reduced!

But no fear, it'll all be settled soon...
          Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
          Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
          POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
          LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Ok then. Just trying to get some attention back to this thread.

Comment

No thorough testing here, but I found that it returns a 'Failed to find path to the future technology' error when the future tech is 'nil, nil'.
              Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Now, now!

Stop sulking!

I have been busy making civ2 graphics and not been on the forums for some days.

But your work on this on is 100% appreciated, and I am going to test it this instant!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Now the trick is trying to open a DOS window!

Comment

Followed your instructions to the letter:

But - The DOS does not recognise 'civ2tech' as a legal/operable batch command.

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                      Followed your instructions to the letter:

But - The DOS does not recognise 'civ2tech' as a legal/operable batch command.

what os do you use?
                      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Could anyone try it out with some (intentionally) screwed up tech trees?
                        like this?
                        oh, and it only posts one error at a time,
                        Attached Files
                        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

@Catfish: Thanks! It's been fixed (I think). I've updated the file I uploaded:

@Curt:
                          Are you using the Command Prompt, or the "Run" thingy in the start menu? You should be using the Command Prompt.

Secondly, make sure that you are in the same folder as civ2tech. E.g. if you unzipped the stuff into C:\WINDOWS\Desktop, then the command prompt should be saying:
                          Code:
                          C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>
                          If it isn't the same, you have 2 options:

(1) Type in the full path to civ2tech (including the ".exe", followed by the full path to the rules.txt file). E.g.
                          Code:
                          C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\civ2tech.exe "D:\Games\Civ2\Scenario\MyScenario\rules.txt"

(2) If it says something different from the folder with civ2tech in it, change the directory first. You can do that using the CD command. Another example, if you put civ2tech in D:\Program Files\Civ2tech, and the command prompt looks like this:
                          Code:
                          C:\WINDOWS>
                          Type in the following:

Code:
                          cd /d "D:\Program Files\Civ2tech"
                          Then follow the example as in my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika
                            like this?
                            oh, and it only posts one error at a time,
                            Excellent!
                            Was it correct as well?

Yep, that's how it's supposed to work. One error at a time. It's a little cumbersome, but it was the easiest to program.

Comment

I'm sorry, Merc. I don't have tme to help test this right now, but I'll certainly be interested in using it.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Merc, were you planning on a VB interface? If not, I'd be interested in calling your program from a spreadsheet that imports/exports @sections from Rules.txt.
                                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                                X