What I realy hate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I realy hate!

Is the stupid pathfinding of my units . If I redeploy to defend a border city, half of my troops run through enemy territory, getting shot and take attrition. Why cant they take the saver way and using my territory? Is there not a way to tell the units to stay in your land if their destination is there? Would be very helpful vor me.
    Last edited by Palpatine; June 18, 2003, 07:06.

You'll just have to get into the habit of setting waypoints to guide your units along the right path.

Comment

yeah, just Shift-click the path you want your units to take on the minimap...easy
      Time to take out the trash. You know its easy but it seems harder every time you try and think about it.

Comment

I agree that pathfinding is somewhat stupid... I need to get in the habit of setting waypoints. I find the attack-move doesn't work all the time, WTF is up with that?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

do you notice that even with the smallest manouver, your men insist on completely rearanging themselves? I'll move them a couple of paces forward and the left and right flank switch and for a few seconds the army is a muddled mess.
          You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
            do you notice that even with the smallest manouver, your men insist on completely rearanging themselves? I'll move them a couple of paces forward and the left and right flank switch and for a few seconds the army is a muddled mess.

Very true

Comment

I just say "The heck with the other country, I can take 'em". Just make sure you have the Terra Cotta Monument up and it's smooth sailing from there.
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Yeah the pathfinding AI in this game leaves something to be desired. It has no idea how to avoid a wall of units in its path. I frequently see two or three units bottled up in one spot because they collided with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
                  If you just press the Forward button (Hotkey F i think) when you have your units selected they will move forward a little bit in formation
                  Time to take out the trash. You know its easy but it seems harder every time you try and think about it.

Comment

Yeah i've had times when my caravan would go through enemy territory (via a city that i used to own) just to get to another of my cities when a safer route could of been easily taken. Kinda weird maybe they want to play chicken.

I've also experienced the formation reforming itself on many crucial moments so thanks for the tip niDe its gonna be handy to know.

Comment

I just say "The heck with the other country, I can take 'em".
                      me too
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah, the advance is useful if you're going straight ahead. Is that automatically an attack move?
                        You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

I find it amazing how people still complain about how the AI doesn't automatically "know how I want to move one unit from one place to another" when RON has more movement features/adjustments/settings than any other RTS game I've seen.

Formations have always been a problem for users... In AOK people didn't like how the units stay in formation because it slowed their initial movement down because they had to get in formation before they moved. Then in EE you have people complaining because the units didn't move in formation as they only got in formation at the end of the movement. Go figure eh? What is one to do? Look at it this way. If a general was so disorgainized as to have to tell his troops to camp here, oops no camp over there, oh wait, nevermind, go back... You probably deserve to have a little muddling of the units. And don't forget to learn how the hotkeys work. You can get incredibly detailed in selection and movement of units.

Comment

I find it amazing how people still complain about how the AI doesn't automatically "know how I want to move one unit from one place to another" when RON has more movement features/adjustments/settings than any other RTS game I've seen.
                            The Starcraft "attack-move" was much better. Often times, I'll do the "attack-move" command and the units will walk while getting pummeled by enemies.

I'd like to see a command where units prioritize who they attack. For instance... if I'm moving a large army, I'd like my anti-tank divisions to attack tank targets before they try to go after riflemen. The best I can do is seperate units by type into Divisions and select individual units to attack. But after they finish off that first guy, my units pick almost random targets. It's very disorganized and annoying. I can only play on very slow during battles in order to direct my units properly.

If you don't like to see complaining and such, don't come to a forum or thread dedicated to it!
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                            X