Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am terrible. :( Please watch my game and critique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am terrible. :( Please watch my game and critique?

Every game I play -- both singleplayer and multiplayer -- goes pretty much like this.
    Watch it and tell me what I might do differently? Thank you!

Attached Files

Thoughts as I watched your game:

1) Research Civic 2nd, not Military. Get a second city going as soon as you fill out your initial woodcutter camp and 5 farms.

2) Don't pump out villagers you don't need. I think a lot of people have this habit from AoK of just constantly pumping villagers. After you filled your first wood camp and 5 farms, you pumped out 3 more villagers without researching civic, so you couldn't start a 2nd city yet. You had them all build a tower and barracks instead.

3) Research Commerce sooner, probably before Military. After you did finally build a second city with your extra 3 citizens, you had nothing for them to do since you were already at +70 food and wood. Raising the Commerce cap, and then quickly raising resource production to meet the new Commerce cap, is the single most important thing at the start, in my opinion. If you can be the first to get Commerce level 2 (+150) and get your food and wood up to +150, you'll have a big edge.
    You actually hit Classical before researching Commerce 1, thereby stranding yourself at +70 even longer. When you hit Classical, your opponent had already raised his cap to +100 and brought food and wood up to +100, putting you well behind in points despite your quick age advance. I usually research Commerce 3rd after Science and Civic, and I try to time it so that my second city is finished right as I finish researching Commerce. That way I can immediately start building farms and more woodcutters at my second city.

4) Get a Market up ASAP, definitely before Classical. You want to get Merchants out to grab your rare resources, and your first Caravan to start accumulating gold.

These comments are all from watching the first 5 or 6 minutes of your game - I actually didn't go any further. Number 3 above is the most important point.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Thoughts as I watched your game:

1) Research Civic 2nd, not Military. Get a second city going as soon as you fill out your initial woodcutter camp and 5 farms.

2) Don't pump out villagers you don't need. I think a lot of people have this habit from AoK of just constantly pumping villagers. After you filled your first wood camp and 5 farms, you pumped out 3 more villagers without researching civic, so you couldn't start a 2nd city yet. You had them all build a tower and barracks instead.

3) Research Commerce sooner, probably before Military. After you did finally build a second city with your extra 3 citizens, you had nothing for them to do since you were already at +70 food and wood. Raising the Commerce cap, and then quickly raising resource production to meet the new Commerce cap, is the single most important thing at the start, in my opinion. If you can be the first to get Commerce level 2 (+150) and get your food and wood up to +150, you'll have a big edge.
      You actually hit Classical before researching Commerce 1, thereby stranding yourself at +70 even longer. When you hit Classical, your opponent had already raised his cap to +100 and brought food and wood up to +100, putting you well behind in points despite your quick age advance. I usually research Commerce 3rd after Science and Civic, and I try to time it so that my second city is finished right as I finish researching Commerce. That way I can immediately start building farms and more woodcutters at my second city.

4) Get a Market up ASAP, definitely before Classical. You want to get Merchants out to grab your rare resources, and your first Caravan to start accumulating gold.

These comments are all from watching the first 5 or 6 minutes of your game - I actually didn't go any further. Number 3 above is the most important point. Your opponent researched Commerce twice and got all his resources up close to +150 while you still hadn't even gotten them up to +100 yet. That puts you at a huge disadvantage.
      Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Apart from the points albiedamned raises:

Building your ninth (and last) farm during enlightenment after 30 minutes gametime is really too few too late.

Mixed armies. Before industrial you've build solely light infantry. Then you start building tanks until you're out of oil. After that you just made heavy infantry, then it's only tanks again. Having mixed armies is really important in RON.

I was actually suprised that the moderate AI didn't capture your capitol earlier. He really seemed to enjoy levelling all of your real estate before winning.
        Last edited by Nacht; June 7, 2003, 15:22.

Comment

Firstly,I've not watched you game, but from the replies I've read you seem to concentrate too much on Age Advancing. Have a quick look on the RoN Game CD, in the main directory you'll see a document named "Readme", part way down you'll find a section called "Walkthrough". Have a quick read of it. It doesn't go into great detail, but it does state:

4. Select your Library, and click the first blue, civic technology: City State.
          5. Create one more Citizen, and when City State has been researched move this Citizen to the forward edge of your national border. The border shows the farthest point at which you can build new buildings. Use this Citizen to create a new City.
          6. While the new City is being built, research the first green, commerce technology at the Library: Barter.
          7. When the Citizen has completed the new City, tell them to create a Market (Barter research must be completed before you can do this).
          8. Select the completed Market, and create a Caravan. When finished, the Caravan automatically begins a trade route between your two Cities, increasing your Wealth income.
          9. Build more Farms around your new City. Each City can contain only five Farms. If you find yourself short of Timber, find another patch of woods and build another Woodcutter’s Camp.

Get you economy strong before Advancing in age. As already stated, try to get it up to +150 before jumping Age. When you've 'Jumped', try to get the Commerce Cap higher, & fill it asap. Plus do as much researce as you possibly can. Fine, if you want a Barracks get one but only pump out one of each (light inf, hvy inf, archer ), if you're on the 'Easiest' or 'Easy' setting the ai won't attack straight away anyway. The Stronger your Economy, the stronger your chances of winning.

As also mentioned, get a 'Mixed Force', each have their own strengths.

Good Luck, start kicking some ai ass

BTW, have a look on the Official Microsoft RoN site, there's a section called "Hints & Tips", written by the experts, check it out : http://www.microsoft.com/games/riseofnations/

APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Comment

Working...
          X