Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of mission do I choose so my ship can bombard a planet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of mission do I choose so my ship can bombard a planet?

In the manual it mentions planetary bombardment ships can be put in assault task forces but I only see planet destroyers (or something to that effect) as a ship mission in the game. Same thing or do your long/short range attack ships bombard as well? I read something somewhere about complete destruction of a planet and at least for now that's not what I want to do. Can you bombard planets without a troop transport in the task force?

Every ship in the game with a weapon contributes to bombardment.

Missile ships are more effective though. Beam weapons don't damage much.

Comment

I've noticed that carriers seem to be unable to bombard.

All other ships with weapons (other than I guess point-defense weapons) are able to combard.

If you assault a planet and have selected player control, the next screen you get after all combats are over is the planetary bombardment screen. Select player control again and you'll see all the options for planetary bombardment.
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Thanks. I finally got to bombard last night. Of course I hit the wrong button afterwards or it landed troops on it's own and my troops were invading before I was ready. There's too many of them! We need reinforcements!

Comment

I think indirect fire works best.

Comment

In my latest game, I noticed by LR ships could not bombard. This may have been due to the tech level of the weapons.

Comment

That may be cause by the existing of planetary shields. You don't really do much damage using low tech beam weapons especially from smaller ship classes.

Comment

Combined arms.

Comment

Aha!

No wonder I have never been able to bombard... I always choose "Watch Combat".

However, I hope that this is addressed in a patch... just because I didn't take control, dosen't mean I should be denied bombardment.

Comment

Having to personally control a combat to get to the bombardmant screen is in my opinion the WORST bug/design decission in the game, but at least it should be patchable

Just 'finished' a game where I totally outclassed my opponents in every catagory. But I wanted a X-win and one of the other civs had the last X. No problem I thought, I'll just fly in with Steller convertors and 'glass' them (ok, so I'm not playing nice with the neighbors). but they have like 25 systems left with an average of 4 planets in each system... and at EVERY ONE of those planets I would have to WASTE a minute or two for my 144 Leviations to knock out a planatery base, 2-3 obsolite (even by my opponents standards) ships (like destroyers) and maybe a handful of even more obsollite system ships and orbitals. THIS is where I want to AI to control the combat. I HAVE NO INTEREST IN PLAYING OUT THIS FIGHT! JUST GET ME TO THE BOMBARDMANT SCREEN, I WANT TO MAKE HOT BLACKENEND GLASS!!! BUT thats NOT an option.. ACCCKKKKK.

How did the the beta testers allow this to slip through? This game has macromanagement out the ying-yang and I absolutly love the combination of macro and micromanagement tools in this ground breaking game, but missing this one bit of required micromanagment ruins a late game slaughterfest. At this point the game is over and all I want to do is pick which style of coffin to but all the bodies in .

PLEASE get rid of this tedium ad nausium

or better yet..

Make me look really stupid, and tell me I just missed a button on some obscure screen where I can let the AI run the fight and still give me the OPTION of a bombardment.

I'm done ranting now... back to your regularly scheduled programming.
                    "Power doesn't corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

Comment

Working...
                    X