Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Member of Orion Senate - always an advantage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Member of Orion Senate - always an advantage?

I think I read somewhere that if you starts as a member of the Orion Senate, you will be close to New Orions and other senate members. I wonder if this is always an advantage because you can get into wars too early than you want. Any ideas?

The Beta Testers seem to agree that its a tradeoff.

Being in the Senate gives you immediate contacts and the benefits that go along with it but also means your ususally boxed in on several sides making expansion more difficult. Dealing with the New Orions also seems to be a pain at times.

Comment

What I think I got from reading was that it's the same as starting next to people: a mixed blessing. Sure there are people around you who are good to have around, but there are also people you absolutely do not want to start near.

Comment

It's also highly dependent on what your winning strategy is. If it's conflict, then it's usually bad - you'll have too many enemies to deal with. If it's the X victory it can be a mixed blessing. Obviously, if it's the senate victory it's a prereq.

How fast do you grow? how much do you rely on trade? How likeable is your race? How good are you personally at diplomacy?

It's a tradeoff. But I do think that for the most part, it will help you more than hinder you.

Comment

Well if you dont start in the Senate you can be suprised by another's Race Senate Victory ;=)
          Except of yourse you turn that Victory Option off.

In Senate:
          +More Trade
          +Tech Trade
          +Easier than gettn in the Senate later

-should apply Laws
          -not much Room for Peaceful expansion
          -may start next to several hostile Races

Not senate:
          +Possible Room for Expansion
          +you can neglet Military/spy development for some Time
          +must not appy puny Orion Law

-Not as much Trade possible as in senate
          -Not seeing senate victoy
          -may start next to hostile race (w/o chance to ally with friendly race)

//Edit to escape the Shame of miserable English skillz
          Last edited by Main_Brain; February 23, 2003, 16:49.
          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

"+Possible Room for Expansion
            +can slow military development
            +must not appy puny Orion Law"

Wrong. It can SPEED military development - you can raise taxes and lower the oppressometer to add tons of money to spend. No races around = no fears of spies.

In race customization it costs 10 points to be part of the Orion Senate... and costs 10 points to NOT be part. It's zero to be random.

Comment

BT comments indicate that being relatively closed off from everyone else (a component of which is not being in the Senate) is an ideal setup for an "X" victory. Presumably because if you can get them, the other races don't have a real shot at stealing them from you.

Comment

That was my Point ( as indicat4ed by the +sign )
                ;=)
                I will rewrite:
                you can neglet Military/spy development for some Time
                Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

No. If you NEGLECT military development, some race will come eventually and chew you up like taffy. You can, however, BUILD your military into a mighty force, since

a) you don't fight anyone, therefore, don't lose ships
                  b) you can keep your troops un-task forced and allow them to train for a loooooong time
                  c) you have gobs of money and production to build tons of ships

Comment

Gobs? Or oodles?

This is very important now.

Btw, once a victory condition is met (someone is elected president), can you continue to play the game? Like in Alpha Centauri? Someone else answered 'no', but I'm not sure he understood what I meant.

Comment

Btw, once a victory condition is met (someone is elected president), can you continue to play the game? Like in Alpha Centauri? Someone else answered 'no', but I'm not sure he understood what I meant.
                      I'm pretty sure the answer is no. But since I'm not a BT and the fricking game is STILL not out, I could easily be wrong.
                      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Okay, it's official - I prefer being not in the Senate. I enjoy the time in isolation - then again, that's how I've always played in Civ type games.

There's more involvement in Senate beginnings, but sometimes it becomes way too overwhelming... and if you start near the Ikthul or races who naturally hate you... oy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. But since I'm not a BT and the fricking game is STILL not out, I could easily be wrong.
                          Well, if its true, kinda stinks. I liked being able to just have my elite utopia to fiddle with after the fact in some of my other TBS games.

Comment

Trust me - this is not a short game. You'll have plenty of time in game to kick around.

Comment

I believe if a victory condition is active, the game is over as soon as someone achieves it. You do, of course, have the option of playing with only Sole Survivor active, in which case the game will continue when someone is elected Senate President.

Comment

Working...
                              X