X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sirian
    replied
    I managed to get past that hangup by starting my war "a turn early", in which my target then surrendered about eight or ten planets to Terrans. So I then attacked the Terrans, took all but two of those unguarded planets plus half the Terran Empire, including all their military resources, and I seem to be OK for the moment.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    Arrgh. The game is screwing up on me now. The GNN reports won't come up at all, and the game crashes every time I try to land troops. I've three times now, all crashing, error reports sent off to MS.

I wonder if this has to with producing too many ships on the same turn. (I had weirdness with that a couple of turns ago.)

I hope I can finish this game. I've already put a LOT of hours in to the mop up.

It could possibly also pertain to ship upgrades, as I did a lot of those right before this problem appeared.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    Does the (Evil Alignment Only) "Mind Control Center" wonder actually work?

According to the description, I expected planets to start flipping to me en masse, as I had several with the "rebellion" marker on them. Instead, since I built the thing, NOT ONE FLIP ANYWHERE. It's as if the effect is opposite of what it claims, harming flip chances or even halting all flips.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• EternalSpark
    replied
    Not sure if this is the right thread to do it, but since someone requested something:

Request: Free Units. Build more than X ships, then you start paying. I didn't play Morgan in SMAC cuz I had to pay out the ass for ships.

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    Originally posted by bonscott
    If you got a smoking rig your video card just might be smoking which is what the X patch fixes so that could be what your're running into.
    I do have a smoking rig (for the first time in a decade, just made a jump in December) but this is NOT a heat issue. I fired up the game this morning; computer is not even warmed up yet.

1. I attacked the Torian homeworld and after the battle, pressing the Numpad4 key "pushed my camera away from the map" again.

Whatever that is, it's a bona fide bug in the code.

But wait, it gets worse. TWO MORE bugs poking around in here.

2. If you fight a battle on the first turn after loading up, EACH time you emerge from battle victorious, your ship or fleet GETS A WHOLE TURN'S WORTH OF EXTRA MOVEMENT POINTS TACKED ON!

3. If you group Transports in to a Fleet (and why wouldn't you?) and attack a world, the game only "uses up" Transports that represent your actual combat losses. ... Say for instance that you have 3bil troops on board three transports in a group. If during the fight you lose 1.8bil troops and have 1.2bil left alive, one of your Transports will be preserved. ... So far so good. (This is how it SHOULD be!) ... Now the nasty part: There will be 1.2bil population on the planet! Where did the extra 1bil come from? Transporter accident creates a billion clones or something? (Reminds me of the old Monopoly card, "Bank Error in Your Favor." This is "Math Error in Your Favor, extra billions of citizens created for you out of thin air.")

In the shot below, illustrations of these three bugs.

Pink Arrow shows a fleet that is romping all over the poor Torians. Those Hornets had 18HPs when this turn started. Picked up THIRTEEN MORE from killing stuff, mostly crap Fighters and helpless Constructors and Colony ships. ... I did lose a ship attacking the homeworld, when that fleet was still green. It was a close call, just barely lost one there, but that was it for the Torian resisantance in the area. ... Anyway, after each battle, the fleet would get 4 more movement points. I kept going to see if it was situational, but nope, EVERY battle gave more movement afterward. I've not seen anything like this before, probably because I never quit and save in the middle of a fight (and let's face it, there haven't been many fights yet, this is only my fourth game and I won the first three via culture/diplomacy.)

Green Arrow shows the Torian homeworld. It's got 2.2bil population on it, as I lost only one of three Transports in the invasion, yet I have two transports left. So, when I started the invasion, I had 3bil total population, and now that it's over, I've taken 800mil casualties but now have 4.2bil people left over -- 2bil on the ships and 2.2bil on the planet. ... Unless this is a bug very recently introduced, it's a pretty nasty thing to miss during the beta. (For that matter, the planetary production upgrade cost reduction bug was a blockbuster, too. Unless that was recent, all the "big picture" balance testing done so far is wiped out and you're starting over in figuring out what the actual game balance is, human vs AIs).

The Torian homeworld is also the one that I got the camera glitch from after the battle, but I go ahead and invade the other planet you see in the shot up there and THAT fight may have stopped the camera bug. ... I'll look in to it some more and see.

Really, though, this whole "oddball turn" mechanism upon reloading is fraught with problems. I don't understand why the game can't be managed to resume normally upon reload, instead of having to go through that wacky first turn with Influence, Production and Movement jacked up. ... I remember the explanation for this from GC1, that the game has to go through complex calculations for the Influence system, but seriously. Isn't there a way to just "do that behind the curtain" as part of the loadup process? This is a bad corner to be cutting.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• Osvon
    replied
    Bugs:

- I build Soil Enhancement on a planet and the planet class increases by one, in this case from 11 to 12, but after saving and reloading the game the planet class has reset back to 11 again. This also has the effect of lowering the approval rating (I think). This has happened several times.

- Sometimes I get a planet with really low influence. I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature though. Last time it was a class 11 planet. When I check the tooltip popup I see that I get 0 influence from the planet. The only contributing factors to total influence are from population, improvements and civilization influence.

- Some other odd behaviors after loading a game, but these have been reported by others.

Hope this get fixed because I really LOVE this game!!!

Leave a comment:

• bonscott
    replied
    If you got a smoking rig your video card just might be smoking which is what the X patch fixes so that could be what your're running into. Good luck on getting that game finished!

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    I quit and reloaded, eventually, and that cleared up the problem.

However, after taking two more Torian worlds, I attacked their homeworld and got the problem again. Whatever is triggering it seems to be triggered during attacks specifically on a planet. This time I did not mess with any camera views nor pause, just watched the battle.

When I came OUT of the battle, I discovered the source of the problem. Every time I pressed the Numpad4 key or the Left Arrow key (either) to move a ship one plot to the left, the camera view would "take a step back". This is not the same as using the mousewheel to zoom in and out. In fact, I typically hover near the break between graphics and icons, and my "zoom level" was not changed. Zooming in a tick or two would go from icons to graphics, zooming out would return. The camera itself was moving away from the galaxy without changing zoom level.

I tried to keep playing, but I cannot avoid moving to the left, as the Torians are situated to my left! ARRGH!

Eventually it moved the camera out to infinity and I could no longer see the map at all! Just a jumble of the icons in the center of my screen.

Here's a shot of the "interim stage" from the first incident, where the camera has been pushed back but not yet to infinity. The background stars get really bright!

Am I going to have to save and quit and reload after every few planetary invasions? Or maybe turn off watching fleet battles?

I'm still using 1.0D.1 since I read that moving to 1.0X will "lose custom ship designs" and I'm in position to win on Gigantic on the highest difficulty and don't want to lose the opportunity to finish or have my save jinxed up.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    Uh oh. Major strangeness is occurring in my main map view.

This is a Gigantic galaxy:

I just started my first war, taking two Torian worlds.

After emerging from fleet on fleet combat at the second world, I came back out to a main map view that looks like this. It's as if a "different" camera mode is still engaged. It came out at a weird angle. I looked up how to rotate the map and that enabled me to get rid of the weird angle, but the camera is still misbehaving.

I looked all through the pdf manual as well as trying all of the options and controls that I could find, but no cure. I have not yet tried quitting and restarting because:
    1. The first turn after any reload is wacky, so I prefer to have as few of those as possible, and...
    2. In GC1, IIRC, the AIs would go through a round of diplomacy on game launch, to discourage too much reloading. (Such an item penalizes those whose games crash, or who have less time per session to play, but that's another story.)
    3. I'm not positive that restarting the game will fix it. If I were, I'd go ahead and try it, because THIS is not really playable at the moment.

The thick morass of background stars are the worst, but so the lack of "tactical" view at a reasonable zoom level. The graphics won't change in to the icons until I zoom so far out I can see the entire galaxy on the screen at the same time. (Look at the screenie above. I repeat, that is a Gigantic galaxy, and look how far I'm zoomed out with the graphics still showing!)

Anybody have any ideas how to reset the view to default camera and behavior? That's all I want, to get back to normal.

I believe I was watching the space battle in Cinematic view right before this oddness started, but I had paused the action a couple of times and cycled through all the combat camera angles looking for a better one.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    CLUNKY FEATURE: I remember this from GalCiv1. Unfortunately, it's back.

The AIs declare war on you for "parking" a transport next to one of their planets -- WHEN THE TRANSPORT IS ON GOTO TO ATTACK SOMEBODY ELSE.

The Terrans just declared on me for this fleet passing their world on the way to attack the last of the Minors.

1. The intent of the feature is to "detect" imminent or planned invasions and not have the AI just sit and wait, but... IT DOESN'T DO THAT. Or rather, it may work once, but then you figure out a way around it and then it's useless again. You can simply park your transports two plots away, or three, or five, or seven. (My troopships have speed 7.)

2. Legitimate players not planning any hostility are hit with wars trumped up on nonsense. To avoid these wars, YOU MUST AVOID SENDING ANY FLEETS WITH TRANSPORTS IN THEM ON GOTO ORDERS THROUGH ALIEN SPACE.

3. Rehabilitate the rule by fixing point #2 or better yet, just drop the rule (see point #1).

I'm off now to go reload from autosave and babysit my transport on its way through Terran space.

- Sirian

PS: Thanks bonscott. I'll see if I can figure it out.)

Leave a comment:

• bonscott
    replied
    Originally posted by Sirian
    I found myself wishing for more camera options. There are a lot of them in there, but the only "free cam" item is top-down only. I wish that I could "fly" the camera. (I thought the flying camera in Civ4 was irrelevant eye candy, too, but I've changed my mind.)

- Sirian
    Actually it's not just top down. Use the same type of rotation controls available on the main map or in the ship builder. I use the free cam and the first thing I do in the first battle of that session is press the scroll wheel and rotate to about a 20 degree or so angle (it will remember your angle during your current session). During the battle I will often rotate around to get a better look as well as zoom in or out using the scroll wheel. You've never seen a more awesome battle then when attacking a ringed planet. Rotate that view so you get the rotating planet in view and you're fighting right above or below the rings. I thought by now I'd be just clicking done with the space battle but I never get tired of watching them. Great feature.

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    I had an instance where my news list contained a LOT of items. Like approaching twenty. More than seven combat items, so whatever that bug is that I reported earlier with the news items, it is not a simple one that always occurs.

BTW... The graphics on the space battles are really good! You should be hyping those more. I suppose there are shots of it in with those big batches of shots, but I honestly didn't look at any of those. "I'll be getting the game anyway; why look at the screenshots?"

I found myself wishing for more camera options. There are a lot of them in there, but the only "free cam" item is top-down only. I wish that I could "fly" the camera. (I thought the flying camera in Civ4 was irrelevant eye candy, too, but I've changed my mind.)

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• Hansolo88
    replied
    Originally posted by bonscott

It's always been that way and was back in GalCiv 1. The ships have to launch somewhere and it's always the same square (lower right of the planet I believe). Just the way it is and frankly it's KISS* here. Why add to complication of configuring every single starport of which direction to launch ships. Doesn't really matter which direction anyway.

* KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid theory of not adding complication when it's not needed.
    Thanks bonscott. Just so long as I know I'm not missing out on the ability to choose, I really don't care that much. One less thing to worry about, as you said.

Though, if it was possible to give movement orders to orbital ships it would be nice if they launched in the direction closest to their destination.

Leave a comment:

• Daz
    replied
    BUG/Bad feature:

The algorythm for calculating best movement path is bad. Look at what it did to my ship.

You can see the 3 yellow arrows indicating actual movements. The ship should have landed on the anomaly instead...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bonscott
    replied
    Originally posted by Daz

1. Definately. Happend today.
    2. I have the patch, and my last exit from GC2 was due to that crash...
    1. So you are saying that you purchase a ship. Once the turn is over and the next turn starts, if you go to the planet you purchased it from it's not listed there as being able to launch? Honestly I've never seen that reports on the GalCiv2 forums at all. I'd suggest you post it over there and see if others have seen it as well. You'll get 10 replies in an hour there.

2. There is an update due out today that is tweaking the GPU so that it doesn't run so hot which they say in testing has solved most people's CTD problems. They made it available to some who contacted them to test it. Again, post over there and you'll get great support and feedback.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X