X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaviddesJ
    replied
    On the planet view, in the upper left-hand corner, is a small image of the planet, rotating. This spins incredibly fast for me---enough to make me dizzy just looking at it. I'm running at 2560x1600 with dual SLI video cards---maybe my graphics hardware is "too good"?

Leave a comment:

• DaviddesJ
    replied
    The Summary screen for a planet shows the social projects on that planet, and their values, but the values aren't modified for the effects of resources in their spaces.

Leave a comment:

• muxec
    replied
    **** happens if you buy ship on shipyard and than switch starport production to cheaper ship.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Weishaupt
    replied
    I have what was a stock Compaq Presario SR1230NX until last year I had a BFG GeForce 6200 graphics card installed. I doubt the specs will matter much though, because I just wanted to point out what nobody seems to have mentioned yet in all these discussions. The game apparently calls for custom race descriptions but does not allow any method for their input. I thought about simply redesigning one of the stock races, but my favorite mode is "huge everything, rare habitable planets, 9 intelligent races" so I don't like the thought of removing a featured race to make way for a mod based on my own race.

Given the "Please write a description for me!" notices when custom races are viewed at race selection, I figure it is a genuine bug that nobody allowed for an input method. Treat this as a feature suggestion instead if that message was meaningless and there is no data structure to accomodate custom race description text. In any case, I also noticed sometimes in dialogue I got a "[short name]" or some similar looking thing that was presumably a reference to a field where there should have been an occurence of my race's name. I suspect either the custom race input method also could benefit from another field for [short name] or the diplomatic dialogues need to be revised to eliminate attempts at invoking the non-existent field.

Regards,
    Adam Weishaupt

P.S. Oh, while I'm at it, I have had two crashes to desktop since getting patched up to date. In both instances, the crashes occured when several things were happening at once (I had just ended a turn, lots of reports and dialogues were popping up, and I was wrestling for control of an errant vessel.) I think frantic clicking during a cluster of GNN reports, diplomatic overtures, and other notices is a problem, but since both happened in very chaotic moments of the game I lack the information to be more specific about this problem. Still, as a troubleshooter I would recommend trying to make spontaneous end of turn things more discrete (in case the root cause is something like a tech selection screen and an interracial negotiation screen coming into conflict) or simply ignoring all mouse clicks from end of turn until the crunch of between-turn processing is complete (sort of like broadening the "saving game" screen dimming and suspended interactivity features to occur briefly each and every turn during the crucial moment when frantic clicking can disrupt the software.) Save for those two instances when I was struggling to gain control of a vessel accidentally ordered in the wrong direction, I have not had any other crashes since the patch, even while multitasking robustly or playing multiple games with no reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Daz
    replied
    Originally posted by DaviddesJ

Why isn't that logical? If I were on an exploration mission, and transported far away by a wormhole, I'd head back toward known territory, while exploring the space in between. That seems really the obvious thing to do.
    I thought the range limitation was there because of the lack of fuel, not the lack of courage...

Leave a comment:

• DaviddesJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Daz

But thats not quite logical, isnt it?
    Why isn't that logical? If I were on an exploration mission, and transported far away by a wormhole, I'd head back toward known territory, while exploring the space in between. That seems really the obvious thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• Mart
    replied
    Also, when a ship is near its range, when finding a path to another destination tile near the range limit the path can be found outside the limit (1 tile)
    minor bug, but still

Leave a comment:

• Daz
    replied
    Originally posted by bonscott

You can move if you set autopilot to a point in your own territory. Possible the autoexplore is actually doing that, heading back to your own territory.
    But thats not quite logical, isnt it?

Leave a comment:

• bonscott
    replied
    Originally posted by Daz
    It would be nice to hear from some Stardock people. I'm not so sure that our reports are being read...

anyway. Another bug.

After my scout went through a wormhole I cannot move (manually) since I'm out of range. But when I turn Autoexplore on it starts exploring...
    You can move if you set autopilot to a point in your own territory. Possible the autoexplore is actually doing that, heading back to your own territory.

Leave a comment:

• Daz
    replied
    It would be nice to hear from some Stardock people. I'm not so sure that our reports are being read...

anyway. Another bug.

After my scout went through a wormhole I cannot move (manually) since I'm out of range. But when I turn Autoexplore on it starts exploring...

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    I finished that game. It says I only lost four ships, but I'm sure I lost five. Does it not count Scouts? I lost one Scout on defense.

Can anybody explain to me how the Terrans are behind less than 400 points in Military Score?

The Metaverse screwed up my difficulty level rating and gave me no bonus multiplier for Suicidal, so I got a LOT less points for this than I expected to get. (I've seen Beginner games scoring 200k points!) I didn't do anything to milk the score, like sit around teching with the last AI down to one planet, farming more population and improving my Economy rating, but still. Only 100k points for this win?

I've seen the difficulty level info messed up for other Metaverse users, too, and heard other complaints. The really nasty thing is that when setting up the game itself, you can't get a correct reading on what the difficulty will be. (I'm SURE this was max, though. All AIs on Incredible, and during the game they certainly had massive economic bonuses etc).

I think I'll wait a while before I play again.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

• bonscott
    replied
    Originally posted by mart7x5
    BUG: minimap shows stars and ownership in unexplored space. That's probably not a feature. I can see empires right from the start
    Actually it's not a bug. According to the "story", everyone knows where everyone else is in the galaxy because of the old Star Gate system, but no details of where the planets are and such are known. That is the opening of the sandbox game.

Leave a comment:

• Mart
    replied
    BUG: minimap shows stars and ownership in unexplored space. That's probably not a feature. I can see empires right from the start

Leave a comment:

• Gufnork
    replied
    I know the invincible fleet all too well. I generally play the Dratha that has a 50% defense bonus, which makes it even easier. I've had games without losing a single ship.

I think AI's are less likely to ally with you at higher difficulties, which would explain the lack of close friends. I have managed to win a political victory on Suicidal though, with the Drengin of all races, not the Dratha that I usually play (good races are supposed to get along better than evil ones). I managed to get both Korx and Iconians to ally with me.

The fleet interfaces annoy the hell out of me too. I also hate that you can't do anything to ships if there's more than one fleet on a parsec.

I believe the game is easier with fewer AI's since they can't gang up on you as easily and they suck at colonizing, leaving more planets for you. Most of my tech trading is with minor races anyway, if they exist. If they don't I get them in peace treaties.

One of the dumbest diplomatic thing I've seen was a minor race paying all their tech and most of their money to get a peace with me, then they declared war on me the very next turn because my wars were hurting their economy. Peace treaties needs to be more solid, they shouldn't be breakable for x amount of turns or something. If nothing else but to protect the AI from itself, but also to stop the player from getting all an opponents techs in a peace treaty only to declare again next turn.

In that game you should be able to get a cultural victory with minimal effort. That's a victory condition I love, it saves me all that mopping up efforts.

Leave a comment:

• Sirian
    replied
    There are ALL KINDS of interface nastiness and horrors of tedium associated with disbanding fleets or removing ships from a fleet. The ones I am growing to loathe are the ones where it moves the wrong ship or moves ships that are not selected. There are even worse monsters in that dark hole, though. Exploitable ones that can reset fleet movement, giving you additional moves or taking away moves or in some cases granting repeatable doses of extra moves, resulting in unlimited moves. I'm not even looking for exploits; they are just dropping in to my lap one after the next. The worst ones are associated with ships of different speeds, but ALL interactions of fleet dispersal are painful.

I'm down to 2.4 civs left out of the original nine, but sadly, the last of them are in opposite corners, both far from my civ's core.

Markos, are you out there? Can we get a new smiley? One standing next to a bucket and pushing a mop?

There is also some schizophrenia in the diplomacy. On the one hand, AIs will surrender their last X planets to a different AI just to drag things out; yet these same AIs will give planets to you at the diplomatic table after you beat on them for a while. ... They stop doing that after a couple of times but by then they're out of the game anyway. ... Now which is it? Do we want to drag out the end game? Or speed it up?

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the game is rated as HARDER for adding more AIs, and yet in fact the game gets EASIER on most maps the more AIs you pile in there, because there are that many more tech trading permutations and customers, and that much more likelihood of a stunted AI who will be easy to pick on and swallow, all the while training your fleets to make them stronger for the next fight. ... Talk about warmongering snowball! The Metaverse is going to demand that its top scorers always play with all the civs enabled because the points will come a lot faster that way.

And for some reason, I can't get an AI to Close relations to save my life. Is this intentional? Nobody likes the Drengin? I'm going a-conquesting in this game just to say I've climbed that mountain, but in future games (if I'm to keep enjoying the game) the mop up needs to get a LOT shorter. Making allies of nearly half the civs used to reduce a lot of mopping in GC1, but this game is almost over and I've been very friendly with my two Evil civ neighbors, and they just sit parked at Friendly.

This game was indeed over when I first claimed it to be over. The AIs did manage to tech up a bit and develop ships that could wound my designs, but then I just teched up a bit more myself and put Huge ships out there with 2x defenses, took over the rest of the Military Resources, and... Well, I've lost five ships all game long. Two early to the Torians, two on DEFENSE to the Iconians who slipped an attack fleet around the lines and in to my softly defended core (I spent 15k on upgrades of old rustbuckets in the area, though, and that ended that), and one Medium rookie ship that I sacrificed to save a turn on taking out the Terrans. ... I've lost FIVE ships all game long and only had a couple of others wounded majorly. Must have killed thousands of logistical points by now and maybe over a thousand enemy ships. The AIs make an awful lot of tiny and small ships!

Throw in that I've captured multiple Hyperion Logistics centers from AIs, giving me way larger fleet caps than any AI can field. I literally have INVINCIBLE fleets running around the map.

That Mini Ripper is a MEDIUM ship with 105 hit points, and those are base HPs. Combat seems to take off base hit points, though, so I can't tell if that 1437 number on the left is meaningful or not. That number does not match the totals of my ships' listed hit points, so what is up? Which numbers are real? Which ones COUNT?

My medium ships start with like 28 hit points. I have some over 130 HPs! Most of my Huge ships are low level, though. For some reason, smaller hulled ships gain levels faster. Which is kind of wacky, since they end up with more HPs than the larger hulls! They carry less equipment, of course, but each ship can shoot at only one target at a time, so having a bunch of those high level small and medium ships around, who've been through ten or twelve wars and won a couple of hundred battles... Well, the AI ships are all green, and they have fewer HP bonuses and less Logistics and smaller hulls. The math is off the charts.

But wait! IT GETS WORSE! Even if the AI does manage to field a design that can threaten your fleet, you simple pause the fight for a few turns, tech up the applicable defenses, futz with the design (If you boost Miniaturization, you can simply ADD more defense without taking anything away) and then pay 10k to 30k to upgrade your best front line ships. Upgrades are very pricey but it's only about 1500bc per ship for even a significant upgrade of already-modern ships. It's only trying to upgrade old rustbuckets at 4k a pop that really stings. ... Even if the AI counters you, you simply pause and counter them back. They all run practically nil in their treasury, so the upgrade system resides firmly in SMAC Land: it's for Human Players Only!

Thanks to this combined military snowball effect, GC2 games are likely to be over (strategically) at as early of a point as my first max difficulty game was decided, for experienced/elite players. That leaves a lot of mopping. Too much.

- Sirian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X